Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US to India using miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

US to India using miles

I'm looking to use miles for a business class trip to India. When I search online I find flights available but the schedules are funky (to be expected with a free ticket I suppose). Question: If I call and spend the $25 to book over the phone is there a chance I will get something better or will it just be the same as what I see online?

Also if I do an open jaw in India (arrive in one city and leave from another) can I still do a free stopover along the way? I'm guessing the answer is no?

Any other advice for me?

Thanks in advance,
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bearchaser303
...Question: If I call and spend the $25 to book over the phone is there a chance I will get something better or will it just be the same as what I see online? ...
there is a chance a better routing might be found by the phone agent --- there is no fee for asking, fee only if you complete the booking on the phone

... Also if I do an open jaw in India (arrive in one city and leave from another) can I still do a free stopover along the way? ...
you can have both a stopover and an openjaw (actual double ojenjae is also legit) on a award RT.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
You should be able to get a US -INDIA award on LH. The only problem is those seats may not open till 7-14 days before departure. If you don't mind spending the money for a change fee, just gram anything now & then call and change to LH when they open seats
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:57 pm

Welcome to FT.

Search is your friend ... please give it a try.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: all
India is tricky in that when you do usa-india search all the options dont show up especially if you are using the united site. LH has the best availability. Try to do a search fro USA to europe and then europe to india segments. same thing for routing via asia. you will fing many other options will pop up
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA plat, HH, Marriott Platinum,
Smile

I originally had a UA paid Economy ticket in Nov 2011 from EWR - BOM ticket. I applied a SWU for Biz class, however this did not clear as of 3 days before departure (and return was also on wait list).

I cancelled the paid UA ticket and decided to use miles. I called the agent and she offerred me multiple carriers from NYC to India. LH, Swiss, Turkish, Egypt etc all with Biz class saver award. I ended up using swiss thru Zurich, and there were flights out of JFK and EWR.

I would call the agent.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Post-merger the website shows the same inventory as what the agents see. The only difference is partners (Jet Airways and for a short while Qatar). See my blog post on how I booked 4 biz class seats to India using UA miles: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...m-us-to-india/
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Ok I am booked but oh what a hassle. I checked everything under the sun online, finally called and booked but the agent didn't show any better options than what I saw online (in a few cases the agent options were worse which baffles me).

Little bit change of plans, meeting my travel partner in Dubai for a few days and then we both go to India from there. So going on United to Dubai then buying a ticket from there to India and back. Tried to do my outbound to Dubai and then return from India but it was just impossible getting anything back from India using miles. Even from Dubai, had to book economy on the return...
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Ok I am booked but oh what a hassle. I checked everything under the sun online, finally called and booked but the agent didn't show any better options than what I saw online (in a few cases the agent options were worse which baffles me).

Little bit change of plans, meeting my travel partner in Dubai for a few days and then we both go to India from there. So going on United to Dubai then buying a ticket from there to India and back. Tried to do my outbound to Dubai and then return from India but it was just impossible getting anything back from India using miles. Even from Dubai, had to book economy on the return...
that sounds fishy.... unless its a busy time, I dont buy it, there are just too many options. What was your date/route from DXB?

Also, you should not have to had to buy a separate ticket to India, QR serves most places in India from DXB via DOH.

For future reference
a) put together a route yourself - just do partial searches online
b) spoonfeed the agents - they will not see anything you dont see online, but if you put together a more complex, you can spoonfeed.

Looks like the agent took an easy way out and put you on United metal.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

I wanted Oct. 19th Kochin to Denver. The only thing the agent could find was economy COK-DOH-MUC-ORD-DEN (even though on my screen it showed Business class available, though it did involve an overnight in DOH which I was ok with). I did spoonfeed the agent the details of what I was seeing, but she still claimed she could not see it. I spent hours searching online before making the phone call.

I initially did book the above itin, but then decided to book the single connection DXB-IAD-DEN. Still economy but I think should be more bearable than the other option. Even when I called back to change it, the 2nd agent could not see what I was spoonfeeding from my screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.