Wiki Posts
Search

United Explorer Card 65,000 Miles Offer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:04 pm
RNE
Original Poster

United Explorer Card 65,000 Miles Offer

TSMRSRNE got a (targeted?) flyer via postal mail for the United MileagePlus Explorer Card. Printed therein was the link below. She applied August 19 and received the card today. She previously had a MP Explorer card, but cancelled it more than a year ago to avoid the annual fee. She "should" get 55,000 bonus miles right off the bat. I'll let you know if she does.

Bonus Miles:
50,000 when you spend $1,000 in the first three months
5,000 for adding an authorized user
10,000 every calendar year you spend $25,000

http://unitedexplorercard.com/65000miles

If this link has been posted elsewhere, a thousand pardons. I did search for it to no avail.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Tried link and it is targeted - Chase don't wanna give 65,000 offer to me...

That being said, here's what the fine print in the offer details says:

Earn MileagePlus Miles:
You will earn 1 mile for each $1 of net purchases. You will earn 1 additional mile for each $1 of net purchases made directly from United and on tickets purchased directly from Continental and at continental.com.
Still shaking my head...

David
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:50 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Anybody else get this offer, or is Jamie Dimon lavishing it solely upon my wife?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Anybody else get this offer, or is Jamie Dimon lavishing it solely upon my wife?
Didn't get the offer, but clicking on the link opens up the Chase page with the 65k offer. So, seems not to be targeted.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
My wife's UA FF# is eligible, too. (Me? Not so much...stuck with MileagePlus Visa, but I get 3x UA purchases and 2x groceries.) Unfortunately, she's canceled a UA CC within the past 12 months, so I have a feeling that she would not get these bonus points (and that the CSR would be slippery when directly asked...)

So, irrefutably, this offer is clearly only valid for female SOs of FTers.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
The link takes me to the Explorer Card catalog page once I log in. No sign of any offer/application for the new card. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:29 pm

A similar offer is being discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nt-credit.html

I applied using the link in the above mentioned thread for an offer with 50k after first purchase, 5k after adding an additional order and 10k after spending 25k. Seems like it's the same offer except with a minimum spending.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:52 pm

Doesn't work for me. Takes me to 40k offer.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:08 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
TSMRSRNE got a (targeted?) flyer via postal mail for the United MileagePlus Explorer Card. Printed therein was the link below. She applied August 19 and received the card today. She previously had a MP Explorer card, but cancelled it more than a year ago to avoid the annual fee. She "should" get 55,000 bonus miles right off the bat. I'll let you know if she does.

Bonus Miles:
50,000 when you spend $1,000 in the first three months
5,000 for adding an authorized user
10,000 every calendar year you spend $25,000
As promised, I am reporting back.

Bonus miles have now posted to her MP account. There were 5000 bonus miles as expected because she added an authorized user: yours truly. (She did not yet meet the $1000 spend requirement, so we were not expecting the 50,000 bonus miles yet.) The problem, though, is how the 5000 bonus miles are identified. It says "First Use Miles Earned," but the flyer doesn't mention any such bonus. We expected it to be "Authorized User Bonus." Now maybe this is just a misnomer. Or maybe it's an unplublished bonus. Or maybe Chase doesn't know what's going on. We'll see next month.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Can you add 2 authorized users to get 10K bonus miles?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:44 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama
Can you add 2 authorized users to get 10K bonus miles?
Probably not, but it can't hurt to try. Let us know if you do.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
As promised, I am reporting back.

Bonus miles have now posted to her MP account. There were 5000 bonus miles as expected because she added an authorized user: yours truly. (She did not yet meet the $1000 spend requirement, so we were not expecting the 50,000 bonus miles yet.) The problem, though, is how the 5000 bonus miles are identified. It says "First Use Miles Earned," but the flyer doesn't mention any such bonus. We expected it to be "Authorized User Bonus." Now maybe this is just a misnomer. Or maybe it's an unplublished bonus. Or maybe Chase doesn't know what's going on. We'll see next month.
My wife also got this targeted offer, and she also had a previous card. She applied for the card and immediately spent over $1000 on airline tickets to qualify for the 50,000 bonus miles. Were we surprised to receive a letter informing us that she did not qualify for the bonus since she was a previous card holder! We reread the offer, and nowhere does it say that previous card holders are ineligible. And since they had her Mileageplus number and current miles, they must have had all her information before they made the offer.

Hope you are more successful in getting the bonus miles then we were.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:02 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by RNE
I got a similar offer in the mail about 3-4 months ago. Except I got the 50k miles on the first spend (no dollar minimum). Got the card and got the miles. FWIW - I like the Chase Sapphire and AMEX cards better than this one (double points on all travel and no forex fees on the Chase Sapphire - double points on gas and groceries and 15k miles on annual $25k spend on the AMEX). Robyn
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American
Originally Posted by EKML
My wife also got this targeted offer, and she also had a previous card. She applied for the card and immediately spent over $1000 on airline tickets to qualify for the 50,000 bonus miles. Were we surprised to receive a letter informing us that she did not qualify for the bonus since she was a previous card holder! We reread the offer, and nowhere does it say that previous card holders are ineligible. And since they had her Mileageplus number and current miles, they must have had all her information before they made the offer.

Hope you are more successful in getting the bonus miles then we were.
This is in the terms and conditions:

50,000 Bonus Miles:
With this bonus offer you will qualify and receive 50,000 bonus miles after you make purchases totaling $1,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. Purchases do not include using your account for balance transfers or cash advances, or using any checks that access your account. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This bonus offer is valid only for first-time United MileagePlus Visa cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United MileagePlus Visa cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer. Bonus miles do not count towards Premier status.

Have others who had a UA Visa before applied and received the 50K? I had the card approx 3-4 yrs ago. Would def reapply if I were get the bonus again.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by clintonuws
This is in the terms and conditions:

50,000 Bonus Miles:
With this bonus offer you will qualify and receive 50,000 bonus miles after you make purchases totaling $1,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. Purchases do not include using your account for balance transfers or cash advances, or using any checks that access your account. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This bonus offer is valid only for first-time United MileagePlus Visa cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United MileagePlus Visa cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer. Bonus miles do not count towards Premier status.

Have others who had a UA Visa before applied and received the 50K? I had the card approx 3-4 yrs ago. Would def reapply if I were get the bonus again.
Yikes- my wife received this offer in the mail yesterday and I signed her up even though she canceled her previous UA explorer card around 2 months ago! Seems cruel to target the offer to then deny the bonus miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.