Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Toddie00
Is there WiFi for the flight from IAD to FCO????

It appears we are flying a 767 - 300

I searched on the website and it doesn't appear, but wouldn't mind a pleasant surprise

Nope.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Toddie00
Is there WiFi for the flight from IAD to FCO???? ...
no for UA. WiFi for transoceanic flights by any airline is very rare -- it will probably be a couple more years, at best, before this becomes more common.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: CO
Thank you for the responses, I was hoping for a surprise that will never come.....
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:02 am

Wifi on Non-PS Flights

I read on the United website that "Wi-Fi installations on non-p.s. flights began in August 2012. This service is managed by United, and we will upgrade our fleet with this technology on an ongoing basis." I am really looking forward to Wifi service on United.

Does anyone know what aircraft has the new Wifi service? Any feedback on the new Wifi service?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by eclipse_boi
I read on the United website that "Wi-Fi installations on non-p.s. flights began in August 2012. This service is managed by United, and we will upgrade our fleet with this technology on an ongoing basis." I am really looking forward to Wifi service on United.

Does anyone know what aircraft has the new Wifi service? Any feedback on the new Wifi service?
If you look on the following site, they have begun installation on the first plane (A319):

https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

Due to exit on 10/12.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
N806UA was the plane pull aircraft at the Family Day yesterday. Did anybody notice the wifi dome on top of it?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Slurve30
N806UA was the plane pull aircraft at the Family Day yesterday. Did anybody notice the wifi dome on top of it?
Yes - the dome was there! And we were able to pull the plane despite it
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Wi-Fi (IAD-SEA)

Do any of the regulars that fly the IAD-SEA nonstops on the 737-800 know if Wi-Fi is available on the flights? I checked a few of the flight status and the only IFE is the Direc-TV, but no mention of Wi-FI.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by shyam99
Do any of the regulars that fly the IAD-SEA nonstops on the 737-800 know if Wi-Fi is available on the flights? I checked a few of the flight status and the only IFE is the Direc-TV, but no mention of Wi-FI.
There is currently no WiFi on any UA aircraft except PS 757 flights between JFK-SFO/LAX.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
There is currently no WiFi on any UA aircraft except PS 757 flights between JFK-SFO/LAX.
And be glad that it has Directv...it could be much worse.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I wouldn't be glad for that. I think this was one of the bigger mistakes the pmCO made: deciding to go with DirecTV rather than WiFi when they made that decision a few years ago. And it was an either/or decision, as they said at the time. The logic at the time was that only 5% of the passengers carried a WiFi device, whereas almost 100% of the passengers had eyeballs that could watch TV. But, that discounts the fact that those 5% are probably your bread-and-butter business passengers, and unfortunately for the timing was made just before the handheld device revolution with every smartphone having WiFi, and before the iPad made tablets commonplace.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
There is one pmUA 757 that has a pilot wi-fi system onboard that may still be operating from what I heard. There is a thread here that was tracking that aircraft, you can search for it if interested. The Wi-Fi is free but often overloaded once the pax are told of it. Often times the crew are unaware of the capability but there is a sticker somewhere near the entrance that tips you off. I had the aircraft once on a IAD-SEA flight. Obviously no real way to plan for it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Not completely true, though obviously close. Believe N806UA (A319) has been converted (flying PHL-SFO today as UA 552).

Originally Posted by dmodemd
There is one pmUA 757 that has a pilot wi-fi system onboard that may still be operating from what I heard.
Nope, it's been removed. Here's the thread on that bird:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-s-757-a.html
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:45 pm

There a few A319s that have had wifi installed, however they are not active as they are still awaiting FAA approval.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:45 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Actually, I hate TV. Dozens of flashing images in my peripheral vision. I never watch it, even when I'm upgraded.

Wi-Fi would be nice, but as others have pointed out, there isn't any on most UA flights. They're rolling out a satellite-based system of their own in the next few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.