Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
The first plane will be fitted with Panasonic wifi in September. It is a good source.
How many per month will be outfitted?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
US has WIFI on some planes.

In addition to DL some other carriers, US has WIFI (from Gogo) on some flights, typically A320 buckets. You can get those on some routes out of PDX, not others. I have had it on flights to SFO, but not OAK, for whatever reason.

So you can fly US and get *A miles. Not that bad of a deal.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tom911
How many per month will be outfitted?
Panasonic doesn't have the capacity to do more than a couple dozen over all their customers, plus it will take a while for the STC and then each plane going out of service to be fitted. I wouldn't expect it to be an incredibly fast deployment.
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
In addition to DL some other carriers, US has WIFI (from Gogo) on some flights, typically A320 buckets.
US only has the service on their A321s right now.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
I stand corrected. It is the A321 has has the GOGO on US.

It is also ironic - or perhaps not - that PHX has free WIFI service. CLT had it (I don't know if they still do.) PHX and CLT are US hubs.

IAH and EWR do not have free WIFI, and they are UA hubs. So if you fly UA though these hubs, you get no WIFI on the plane, and you have to pay for it on the ground.

Coincidence? Not likely.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I stand corrected. It is the A321 has has the GOGO on US.

It is also ironic - or perhaps not - that PHX has free WIFI service. CLT had it (I don't know if they still do.) PHX and CLT are US hubs.

IAH and EWR do not have free WIFI, and they are UA hubs. So if you fly UA though these hubs, you get no WIFI on the plane, and you have to pay for it on the ground.

Coincidence? Not likely.
Then are you suggesting some conspiracy? PDX has free wi-fi. Alaska doesn't.

Some things are just the way they are for other reasons.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Coincidence? Not likely.
Actually, completely.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Coincidence? Not likely.
Of course it is. The airlines don't own the airport and wouldn't have the authority to provide free wi-fi if they wanted to. It's up to whichever entity owns and operates the facility itself.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by drowelf
While this is a bit OT, what are the technical specs on the WIFI that will become available? Things like bandwidth, VPN Capability, etc.? I generally work on the planes, but its generally on off-line type stuff. Design docs, presentations, coding and such stuff. Its actually kind of nice, as I can get 3-4 hours of uninterrupted work done, which is sometimes hard while in the office.

I'm really curious about the quality of the connection in terms of drop outs. My clients VPN is really sensitive to broken connections and its a real pain at time to reestablish my host and server sessions once I reconnect a dropped VPN Connection. Also as my email is Lotus Notes, its a likes a lot of bandwidth to function efficiently.
No comments? Anyone know where to find the hard specs on the WIFI that other carriers have rolled out?

TIA
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, Hilton Diamond
WiFi update?

Does anyone know the current status of the satellite based WiFi that is supposed to be installed in the 2nd half of this year? I've searched around and I haven't heard of any equipment installed yet. Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by islackmore
Does anyone know the current status of the satellite based WiFi that is supposed to be installed in the 2nd half of this year? I've searched around and I haven't heard of any equipment installed yet. Thanks!
I believe they are starting installation next month from the top of my head. No idea when the actual first WiFi planes (minus PS planes) will be flying.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:00 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
I have it on good authority that the equipment isn't even FAA certified yet. Don't hold your breath.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Did the exp status match to AA in April and now can't live without it. Did ord San and sfo to ord this week on UA and even in FC its miserable now without Wifi.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
does united have on flight wifi?

i searched this forum and without result. Which route has wifi on flight?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:52 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Just between JFK and LAX/SFO as of now; supposedly more to come later this year.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: CO
Is there WiFi for the flight from IAD to FCO????

It appears we are flying a 767 - 300

I searched on the website and it doesn't appear, but wouldn't mind a pleasant surprise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.