Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by LilAbner
I spoke to a girl working in the DEN United Club a few days ago and she was assigned the job of going to every Walmart, Sams Club, 7/11, and Costco in Colorado to purchase the exact same routers that are installed in all the United Clubs, worldwide, which would be installed in all aircraft in the next 4 years!

The #1 requirement, as directed from the management, she mentioned, is that no router be in an unopened or un-returned carton. She was given a bonus of a "Going The Extra Mile - 2012 certificate" that were not included in any 1k packets mailed out in Jan., for purchasing any product that was marked with a red sticker or a black felt tipped marker pen with an "X" on top of the box!
April fools?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by edcho
April fools?
Indeed !
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:23 pm

April fools?
It was meant to be a joke, for those that need further splainiin!!!

It was also to splain (Lucy) that the routers in the UC's are complete cheap pieces of inferior junk!

Actually, the ONLY April fool are anyone that thinks that they will be Re-Swept any time this month!!!

I am due 540,000 MP miles that are in Shares Limbo, and yet they managed to instantly debit my account 6 X 70K miles for 3 MP tickets R/T from LAS to BKK & back, that I booked yesterday!

Oh well, I guess I just need to be more understanding!
GMAFB!!!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Getting to use WiFi on my ps flights to JFK last week reminded me just how much better it is on airlines where you can reliably use WiFi. I had the option of being able to fly PDX-SFO-JFK on this trip and it was so nice to have the WiFi.. so nice that it may push me to fly DL, AS or *gasp* WN on my next trip.

With Virgin coming into PDX -- even with a bad schedule -- this may further push me away from UA. Its no longer a luxury, it is a business requirement not to be out of touch for 6 hours.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by noah
Getting to use WiFi on my ps flights to JFK last week reminded me just how much better it is on airlines where you can reliably use WiFi. I had the option of being able to fly PDX-SFO-JFK on this trip and it was so nice to have the WiFi.. so nice that it may push me to fly DL, AS or *gasp* WN on my next trip.

With Virgin coming into PDX -- even with a bad schedule -- this may further push me away from UA. Its no longer a luxury, it is a business requirement not to be out of touch for 6 hours.
True -- but still could serve as an excuse to sleep/nap/relax/not worry about things because you can't do anything right now/etc.

Unfortunately those days are very limited either way.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:30 am

Can I expect WiFi?

Hey all - I'm on a round-trip EWR-DEN next week flying in F both ways. EWR to DEN is on a 757-200 and DEN to EWR is on a 737-800. Can I expect in-flight internet on either of these? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on united.com or by searching the forums.

Thanks in advance!
-TT
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No.

Only p.s. service JFK to SFO/LAX) has it on CO/UA planes. (I'm ignoring the Row 44 plane).
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM
Looks unliekely

This seems to be the answer:

http://united.com/web/en-US/content/...i/default.aspx

Doesn't mention any flights from EWR. Hope that helps!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
No.

Only p.s. service JFK to SFO/LAX) has it on CO/UA planes. (I'm ignoring the Row 44 plane).
while there are plans for additional wifi on UA aircraft, there has been no announced timeline.
Another thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...h-up-soon.html
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
No.

Reports seem to indicate that the Row 44 Wi-Fi on N593UA is no longer activated on flights. If true, that means that p.s. is your only was to get Wi-Fi on UA at the moment.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-757-a-10.html
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
While this is a bit OT, what are the technical specs on the WIFI that will become available? Things like bandwidth, VPN Capability, etc.? I generally work on the planes, but its generally on off-line type stuff. Design docs, presentations, coding and such stuff. Its actually kind of nice, as I can get 3-4 hours of uninterrupted work done, which is sometimes hard while in the office.

I'm really curious about the quality of the connection in terms of drop outs. My clients VPN is really sensitive to broken connections and its a real pain at time to reestablish my host and server sessions once I reconnect a dropped VPN Connection. Also as my email is Lotus Notes, its a likes a lot of bandwidth to function efficiently.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Has this started rolling out anywhere? As someone that is considering switching from DL to UA, I've grown accustomed to having WiFi on every single flight (even regionals).
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by bworrell
Has this started rolling out anywhere? As someone that is considering switching from DL to UA, I've grown accustomed to having WiFi on every single flight (even regionals).
No roll out yet -- I believe I read somewhere that they will start rolling it out in September.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by bworrell
No roll out yet -- I believe I read somewhere that they will start rolling it out in September.
What year?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:46 pm

The first plane will be fitted with Panasonic wifi in September. It is a good source.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.