Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading from an M fare on intl flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcho
It actually continues to run in the background (to see if there's any space). However, there's a second "battlefield" list that gets you on the visible upgrade list (the same list you see on the GDIS, the website flight status, on the PDA app, etc). You get listed on battlefield when you do online check-in and the criteria is slightly different for that list (uses check-in time instead of booking time). This list gets cleared at the gate.

Somtimes you will see people clear upgrades and skip other people on the battlefield list. That's because they either ...

#1. The EUA (24/48/72/96 hour window clearing upgrades) ran and cleared that person within the 24 hour window.
#2. They accepted a TOD offer.
#3. They actually changed fares (purchased a higher fare when they get to the airport). Sometimes that will show as cleared (dunno why that happens).
#4. They used an RPU/GPU within 24 hours.

Hope that helps
Hey folks, I'm in the middle of this trip, so I have some questions about how this second battlefield works. I'm being told its a matrix between fare and status,so I have a 1k GPU working on an H fare and people are jumping ahead of me that are silvers, they claim because they are Y fares. I was the 7th person to check-in so that's not the issue... anyone have any insight on how this works? I thought it was supposed to be by status of the certificate/sponsor?

Also, are people that used a TOD going to show up on the upgrade list available through the site/iphone app?

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by eagle007
Hey folks, I'm in the middle of this trip, so I have some questions about how this second battlefield works. I'm being told its a matrix between fare and status,so I have a 1k GPU working on an H fare and people are jumping ahead of me that are silvers, they claim because they are Y fares. I was the 7th person to check-in so that's not the issue... anyone have any insight on how this works? I thought it was supposed to be by status of the certificate/sponsor?

Also, are people that used a TOD going to show up on the upgrade list available through the site/iphone app?

Thanks
CORRECTION: Didn't read this properly. If it is within 24 hours, your GPU probably didn't get applied and you are on the regular list (as if you didn't have the GPU). Therefore those with Y and B fares on any status will beat you.

Yes -- those who used a TOD will show as cleared on the upgrade list on the site / iphone.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcho
CORRECTION: Didn't read this properly. If it is within 24 hours, your GPU probably didn't get applied and you are on the regular list (as if you didn't have the GPU). Therefore those with Y and B fares on any status will beat you.

Yes -- those who used a TOD will show as cleared on the upgrade list on the site / iphone.
Ah ok, so the second battlefield list (subject to the first list working in the background) operates primarily on fare and not status? Why is that? I mean why have the first list operate on status and the second on fare basis, why not make it the same?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ah ok, so the second battlefield list (subject to the first list working in the background) operates primarily on fare and not status? Why is that? I mean why have the first list operate on status and the second on fare basis, why not make it the same?
see Upgrade confirmation priority

summary
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
for CPU flights Y,B for elites and M for 1Ks have priority and then RPU/GPU/Miles and then CPU based on status, fare, time ... For Non-CPU flights, it is status, fare, time
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

An update on the upgrade experience:

on the IAD-DXB leg, I visited the GA and they were extremely kind and went through the list with me of all the people ahead of me. In fact, they removed people from the top of list from consideration and said something to the effect of: "I'm not sure how some of these people make this list, if they haven't offered to pay for the upgrade, miles or otherwise, then they get removed". So he removed two or three people that hadn't put in for the upgrade and I got upgraded (and then so did a bunch of other people because the flight was delayed 4 hours and I think a bunch of people cancelled)

Not sure if that is SOP and raises the question if those people that were removed were Y or B fare "instant upgrade" ( or even M-class 1K) candidates and got removed?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not sure if that is SOP
No, it isn't.

and raises the question if those people that were removed were Y or B fare "instant upgrade" ( or even M-class 1K) candidates and got removed?
It raises a lot of questions, mostly about whether the GA actually knows what the policies are and how to properly enforce them rather than just deciding on a whim who deserves to be on the list. They absolutely aren't supposed to be policing the list like that. Many people have missed out on deserved upgrades (as documented here on FT) because GAs were mucking around like that. Not a good thing at all IMO.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
No, it isn't.

It raises a lot of questions, mostly about whether the GA actually knows what the policies are and how to properly enforce them rather than just deciding on a whim who deserves to be on the list. They absolutely aren't supposed to be policing the list like that. Many people have missed out on deserved upgrades (as documented here on FT) because GAs were mucking around like that. Not a good thing at all IMO.
It worked out for me, so I wasn't complaining. But I was surprised. He almost removed me as well because he didn't see the GPU in the reservation and I had to insist it was there. It was only on printing the reservation out (6 pages!) on paper the he could he see it.

Equally surprising is the number of CSRs on the premier line as well as other agents in the airport (like the CSR at the lounges that were doing ticket changes etc) that didn't understand the policy. Each time they had to call a supervisor and ask how it worked.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

He almost removed me as well because he didn't see the GPU in the reservation and I had to insist it was there. It was only on printing the reservation out (6 pages!) on paper the he could he see it.
It is things like this which work against us as a community when we claim we just want the upgrades as the rules say we should have them. You've basically admitted that the GA had no idea what they were doing but rather than letting the computer prioritize the upgrades you got him to muck around in the system. Other customers getting screwed may be good this time for you but it is bad overall, for them and for you.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is things like this which work against us as a community when we claim we just want the upgrades as the rules say we should have them. You've basically admitted that the GA had no idea what they were doing but rather than letting the computer prioritize the upgrades you got him to muck around in the system. Other customers getting screwed may be good this time for you but it is bad overall, for them and for you.
Just to be clear, I didn't get him to muck around the system. I simply asked him whether I had the upgrade or not and he started doing what he did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.