Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading from an M fare on intl flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by eagle007
Yeah, that helps. The whole process feels very ambiguous. That said, does the battlefield matter on a non-CPU flight?
Yes -- technically GPU/RPU/mileage upgrades drop from EUA @ 24 hours (or they are supposed to) and get added onto the battlefield when you check-in. Sometimes they don't get added to the battlefield and you have to call (or beg) to get it added to the list.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: None - previously UA

An LH B fare is an option. What I worry about on LH is that I won't get E+ if one becomes available. Are you suggesting that I simply optimize around PQMs?
B fares are eligible for Star Alliance upgrades at 30K miles a segment.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm sitting with 2 M fare legs right now. ORD-LHR and then AMS-ORD. Both are offering the $300 copay plus 20K miles, but would be waitlisted.

Given my lack of luck with waitlisted things clearing of late, does anybody have an recent success stories of these clearing?

Both flights are showing availability in various upgrade buckets, but I'm not sure what upgraded M books into.

Wondering if folking out $600 in case they clear is worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
To Eagle007:
yes, check B fares too. Usually a couple hundred $$ higher (per direction) than H for example for TATL flights. If you do manage to snatch an upgrade on a B fare, there will be no co-pay. That's the good news

But in priority, you will be behind all GS, 1K, and Platinums for upgrades. FRA->SFO is a tough upgrade, so I wouldn't spend too much to increase your position over other Prem Exec's.

Better to start watching the seat map very closely about 4 days out. Some of those people in prime seats will be upgraded, and if you're quick you might grab their E+ seat. Check early in the am each day.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by milepig
I'm sitting with 2 M fare legs right now. ORD-LHR and then AMS-ORD. Both are offering the $300 copay plus 20K miles, but would be waitlisted.

Given my lack of luck with waitlisted things clearing of late, does anybody have an recent success stories of these clearing?

Both flights are showing availability in various upgrade buckets, but I'm not sure what upgraded M books into.

Definitely! The ORD->LHR leg will very likely clear with an M fare (I'm 100% this year on this flight) and will be in the new business lie-flat seats for sure. Check the other flight to see if also in the new C.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They might or might not. Your risk is essentially nil (the float on $600) so why not list for it??

For those flights, R is what you need.

That's a whole different question. I don't generally think that cash + miles upgrade rates are very good; others insist that crossing an ocean in anything other than a flat-bed is cruel and inhumane.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
others insist that crossing an ocean in anything other than a flat-bed is cruel and inhumane.
I'm in this camp - at least when traveling Eastbound overnight!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StingWest
Definitely! The ORD->LHR leg will very likely clear with an M fare (I'm 100% this year on this flight) and will be in the new business lie-flat seats for sure. Check the other flight to see if also in the new C.
I just put in for the upgrades for both legs. Both are showing R0 at this point. I'm showing as waitlisted, but haven't yet gotten either an e-mail confirmation or CC billing.

Another SHARES probelm I saw is that when I completed the transaction it allowed me to select seats in C, but then when I hit "complete" they went away. The system should disallow the initial selection.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

ON the battlefield upgrades, I'm doing SFO-DXB. Obviously I can check into the DXB flight earlier because the SFO flight leaves 6 hours earlier than just the IAD-DXB flight, so do i get that "Extra" priority for being able to check-in earlier than everyone else?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Trick for getting upgrade from DXB-IAD & VV

Ive heard the DXB flight is hard to upgrade. While I've never tried it, I have friends visiting me in Dubai in Oct & Nov (start of high season). The ones that want to fly UA already have confirmed upgraded space on UA w GPU's they got at time of booking. Instead of flying to Dubai on the non stop, they are taking the flight to Kuwait / Bahrain. The loads are not as full it seems in C and a tkt within the Gulf from BAH-DXB is very cheap (even in C on Gulf Air)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Ive heard the DXB flight is hard to upgrade. While I've never tried it, I have friends visiting me in Dubai in Oct & Nov (start of high season). The ones that want to fly UA already have confirmed upgraded space on UA w GPU's they got at time of booking. Instead of flying to Dubai on the non stop, they are taking the flight to Kuwait / Bahrain. The loads are not as full it seems in C and a tkt within the Gulf from BAH-DXB is very cheap (even in C on Gulf Air)
Good thinking. Though it would mean 3 stops instead of 2. Just checked the BAH flight, is that JN1 below an upgrade slot available?

Available Cabins: F0, FN0, A0, ON0, O0, J6, JN1, C4, D1, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B5, M0, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

And the Kuwait one is below, I guess I see 16 open business seats (j9 + c7), is that right? Not really sure how to read these completely yet.

Available Cabins: F0, FN0, A0, ON0, O0, J9, JN0, C7, D6, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

is that JN1 below an upgrade slot available?
No. R is where the upgrades come from.
And the Kuwait one is below, I guess I see 16 open business seats (j9 + c7), is that right? Not really sure how to read these completely yet.
Again, no. Each of the other buckets in the biz cabin is a subset of the top bucket. They are not additive going across.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by sbm12
No. R is where the upgrades come from.
Again, no. Each of the other buckets in the biz cabin is a subset of the top bucket. They are not additive going across.
The next few weeks are end of summer brake in the Gulf (many Gulf nationals escape the heat in July & Aug. flights TO the gulf should be busy the next few weeks then calm down to normal levels
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Upgrading from an M fare on intl flights

Hold on! When did priority revert to status then bucket? Thought that was reversed 3/3. Looking at the MP website, status first.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Hold on! When did priority revert to status then bucket? Thought that was reversed 3/3. Looking at the MP website, status first.
for CPU flights Y,B for elites and M for 1Ks have priority and then RPU/CPU/Miles and then CPU based on status, fare, time ... For Non-CPU flights, it is status, fare, time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.