Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Thanksgiving/Christmas Schedule Cutbacks on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Thanksgiving/Christmas Schedule Cutbacks on United

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:49 pm

Try for EWR-HKG in BF. Recently flew that and good flight.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
It looks like no ord-hkg for a few days christmas week.
If I remember it correctly, they also cancelled the same flight ORD-HKG last Christmas.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
CO had been doing this for years. Cutting flights on certain days to Europe during Thanksgiving and Christmas, and to China/HK during Christmas and Chinese New Year. Since the merger (even more 3/3), they have started doing the same for sUA flights.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by frontenac551
So, before I start the task of rerouting (I'm booking on a reward flight through partner airline, so it will be a pain), any idea what is up? I did try doing a search, but didn't see anything, so either there is nothing or I used bad search terms.
Here are what possible (UA only):

ORD-EWR/SFO-HKG
ORD-IAD/EWR/IAH/SFO/LAX-NRT-HKG

For partners, you can go through YVR/YYZ/SFO/PEK/NRT...lot of choices.

The real issue - inventory.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I recall UA reducing schedule over Holiday last year as well, but not this drastic of a reduction.

Everyone needs to keep their fingers crossed that there is no significant weather event just before Thanksgiving or Christmas. Appears that there will be no seats in the air to recover from irrops.

At least there are not a lot of people planning to travel during the holidays....
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Here are what possible (UA only):

ORD-EWR/SFO-HKG
ORD-IAD/EWR/IAH/SFO/LAX-NRT-HKG

For partners, you can go through YVR/YYZ/SFO/PEK/NRT...lot of choices.

The real issue - inventory.
Inventory is what is killing me - No one is willing to open up an F revenue seat. They can get me there, but with legs in BF (actually coach from ORD to EWR). Going to try again today.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: UA PremExec
But if UA knows demand on these days is low and they commonly end up cancelling these flights (as some posters indicated was done last year), why did they schedule them at all? On the hope that for some reason this year will be different? So they just sell people seats on flights they have good reason to think will not actually fly?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Now why in the world would you want to go to a crazy place like Phuket when you could easily go to South Padre? You'll get to enjoy all that Houston Intercontinental has to offer and save miles by flying in one of their wonderful ERJ-145 jets!

*ducks, runs*

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; Aug 19, 2012 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by frontenac551
Inventory is what is killing me - No one is willing to open up an F revenue seat. They can get me there, but with legs in BF (actually coach from ORD to EWR). Going to try again today.
There is nothing wrong with BF. You do know that the vast majority fly in economy, with a goodly number of these people in center seats?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
There is nothing wrong with BF. You do know that the vast majority fly in economy, with a goodly number of these people in center seats?
Those people in economy are getting what they pay for. When I pay a premium I want a decent seat and BF is light years behind a true first class seat especially when stuck in the window. The service is also lacking especially when they charge the same as global first at times.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Now why in the world would you want to go to a crazy place like Phuket when you could easily go to South Padre?

*ducks, runs*

Actually, Hua Hin is where I'd go and it's about a 2 hour drive south of BKK. Much easier to get to and not requiring another carrier (award) to get a ticket to HKT, especially over the holidays. You're competing with half of Europe for seats especially German's over Christmas. Sometimes one needs to be flexible, and/or just keep searching. Hollerin' and seeking sympathy from fellow FTer's or res agent supervisors gets you nothing but a headache, in the end. BTW, after continual calls to res, a guy has a very good chance of getting his itin flagged with notes & comments that usually ends any future hope of getting help.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
We had 3 GlobalFirst award seats ORD-HKT over the Christmas/New Years time frame.

Overnight UA canceled a lot of the ORD TPAC flights for Dec 24 and 25.

I have spent several hours on the phone with UA CSRs. I have to say all have tried to do their best, but there is no availability that will allow us to travel any time remotely close to our original travel dates.

The last supervisor I worked with indicated that I should contact UA Customer Relations about this. I suspect that will get me nowhere.

Any advice on how to either get this fixed, if it is fixable? If we have to cancel, I want to make sure I get maximum compensation for this. It was pretty hard to explain to my family that we are now not going on a much anticipated tropical vacation.
The maximum compensation which you should receive is ZERO. You are not being denied boarding for an oversell, it is just a schedule change. Airlines, all airlines, have schedule changes all the time; and it is widely known that airlines reduce service on the holidays - particularly with the US-Asia market. You should be seeking to get yourself re-routed, and UA should re-route you. But to expect them to pay you is nuts; what a sense of overentitlement.

If you cannot get to your preferred destination on your preferred dates, that's life. UA has given you four months to figure alternative plans.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:08 am

There's nothing wrong with economy but....four months out when i had 2 F seats confirmed ORD-HKG with a CX on TG I was expecting them to stay that way. I too am desperately trying to play award seat/TG 747 roulette to fix my once good trip!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
what happens in reservation stays in reservation. I have tried contacting customer relations about the frustration I experienced with reservation: most of the time, the moment they heard the keyword "reservation," they transfer my call to United reservation even without asking me. For the rest, they told me one of the two things (1) you have traveled, which means you have accepted the change (2) you haven't traveled, what are you complaining about? why don't you just call reservations back and try to get the things fixed?

I hope my experience can save you some time.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
We had 3 GlobalFirst award seats ORD-HKT over the Christmas/New Years time frame.

Overnight UA canceled a lot of the ORD TPAC flights for Dec 24 and 25.

I have spent several hours on the phone with UA CSRs. I have to say all have tried to do their best, but there is no availability that will allow us to travel any time remotely close to our original travel dates.

The last supervisor I worked with indicated that I should contact UA Customer Relations about this. I suspect that will get me nowhere.

Any advice on how to either get this fixed, if it is fixable? If we have to cancel, I want to make sure I get maximum compensation for this. It was pretty hard to explain to my family that we are now not going on a much anticipated tropical vacation.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware
There is something wrong with BF when I've "paid" (using miles) for an F ticket. If I booked BF or economy (as I normally do), of course BF or economy would be fine. However, that is not what booked and, therefore, isn't fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.