Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Thanksgiving/Christmas Schedule Cutbacks on United

2012 Thanksgiving/Christmas Schedule Cutbacks on United

Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by star_world
This type of cancellation over holiday periods is extremely common on many, many airlines.

It sounds like UA rebooked you on the portions operated on UA metal, as you wanted. (You're being extremely cryptic by the way - not sure why). The issue as I understand it is that the other airline(s) you wanted reward inventory on don't have any.

Is that correct?
No they rebooked us on flights where there was no premium cabin availability (this is a GlobalFirst award). And when I tried to get that rectified, they rebooked us on flights where the partner (CA) refused to ticket, without letting me know. I only discovered it by calling CA and tried to get the record locators in their system.

If they had rebooked us ORD-EWR-HKG or ORD-SFO-HKG and let us connect to the existing Thai flights, that would have been OK, even if it was a BF seat and not a GF seat. But they did not.

Also, there is a bigger picture, over last night UA canceled several flights between several city pairs (not just a couple).
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
This is garbage.

You had a confirmed F seats.

COdbaUA cancelled the flight and your tickets.

Totally ridiculous and unacceptable.
I agree. In the roughly 10 years I'd been flying UA before the takeover, I had situations like this on a fairly regular basis. In every case, without exception, they put me on hold, called a special desk, opened space, and got me to my destination, on the same day, at the same price, in the same class of service. I never even had to fight for it. The agents immediately understood what was the right thing to do, and they did it. In several cases, I ended up better off than I was in the beginning because I'd booked a stupid routing to take advantage of certain inventory, and when they did the space opening for me, they'd just do it on the most direct routing.

This seems to me like another anti-customer policy change, another change we're told that we'll like. Right.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have been polite. Basically it appears that if there is no saver availability, they won't try to book.

There is a real problem with splitting up. Neither my wife and son have done much international flying. I would worry about having an inexperienced flyer dealing with IRROPS.
I'm hearing this a lot with CO. The core issue is not the cancellation nor is it flight availability. There are flights. There are seats. The issue appears to be a policy change wherein they refuse to open space for people in your situation. UA did this regularly with a simple phone call to a special desk that had nearly omnipotent powers. There are lots of messages on FT that describe something similar for others faced with IRROPS on paid tickets too. It seems like a broad and general policy change, and one that is extremely hostile to customers stuck in IRROPS situations that CO created in the first place. They should take responsibility for this and make it right.

I have it somewhat resolved. Not perfect, but it is acceptable to my family. If it were just me, I would do as you suggest. But this is a family vacation and I have to try to salvage what I can.

I think the issue with UA was they cancelled so many flights and their system cannot handle the impact.

And to all who think I am being unreasonable, this is not a simple single flight canceled do to weather or mechanical or crew time out. It looks like they have canceled several days of flights between ORD and HKG, PEK and PVG during this period.
I'm having a bit of trouble following all the details here, but if I were you, I'd just worry about getting to SE Asia in First or Business, on a saver fare, on the right dates. I don't think it's worth the energy to fight for First vs Business, and I can't perceive any difference anyway, and once you get to SE Asia, you surely can find a way to get to your endpoint.

If you relax your requirements in this way, then is there a path forward?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'm hearing this a lot with CO. The core issue is not the cancellation nor is it flight availability. There are flights. There are seats. The issue appears to be a policy change wherein they refuse to open space for people in your situation. UA did this regularly with a simple phone call to a special desk that had nearly omnipotent powers. There are lots of messages on FT that describe something similar for others faced with IRROPS on paid tickets too. It seems like a broad and general policy change, and one that is extremely hostile to customers stuck in IRROPS situations that CO created in the first place. They should take responsibility for this and make it right.
And it's an extremely troubling policy change. Look at just how many people burn hours of time trying to get premium cabin award space just as it opens up at the window. Now, given that these tickets are booked almost a year out, schedule changes are almost inevitable. Those tickets are looking increasingly worthless.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: CO Infinte Platinum, UAL 1K
I just found out that United also cancelled our tickets in Global First using miles for X-mas travel as well. United no longer operated daily service from LAX to Narita. We are traveling to BKK via Narita. Are flights are cancelled. No other availablity except with multiple stops and big layovers. I was never notified. I just happened to check my itinerary. What is the rules when a passenger is already ticketed and UAL cancels the flight? Don't they have to rebook and protect on another carrier that day?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mhnate
I just found out that United also cancelled our tickets in Global First using miles for X-mas travel as well. United no longer operated daily service from LAX to Narita. We are traveling to BKK via Narita. Are flights are cancelled. No other availablity except with multiple stops and big layovers. I was never notified. I just happened to check my itinerary. What is the rules when a passenger is already ticketed and UAL cancels the flight? Don't they have to rebook and protect on another carrier that day?
I see direct UA flight from LAX to NRT on all days 12/22-12/28 in EF.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

I agree. In the roughly 10 years I'd been flying UA before the takeover, I had situations like this on a fairly regular basis. In every case, without exception, they put me on hold, called a special desk, opened space, and got me to my destination, on the same day, at the same price, in the same class of service. I never even had to fight for it. The agents immediately understood what was the right thing to do, and they did it. In several cases, I ended up better off than I was in the beginning because I'd booked a stupid routing to take advantage of certain inventory, and when they did the space opening for me, they'd just do it on the most direct routing.

This seems to me like another anti-customer policy change, another change we're told that we'll like. Right.
Actually I want to say the CSRs I talked to were totally supportive. All the supervisors I talked to were extremely cooperative.

I got the feeling that opening up revenue inventory was something that they are not allowed to do.

I kept asking about it and was told time and again that they could not do that and that I would have to contact Customer Relations via email off the web site to do that.

I see direct UA flight from LAX to NRT on all days 12/22-12/28 in EF.
Thanks. I appreciate the effort to help. I have an interim solution. I'll have to call TG on Monday to make sure I am properly ticketed.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 18, 2012 at 9:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: CO Infinte Platinum, UAL 1K
No. UAL no longer operates LAX to Narita on 12/24 nonstop, and many other days now. Further, we are traveling to BKK via Narita and UAL no longer operates daily nonstop svc on that route either. Big changes. Is UAL responsible to protect us on another carrier in the same class or is there some rule that when it is reward ticket one has to find reward space all over again?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I got the feeling that opening up revenue inventory was something that they are not allowed to do.

I kept asking about it and was told time and again that they could not do that and that I would have to contact Customer Relations via email off the web site to do that.
This is crap, of course they can force booking classes on UA metal. I would personally not waste time and go straight to the DOT if we are talking about UA metal flights. Do you have time to wait 6-12 weeks for customer relations to respond to your complaint?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime

Agreed. When I would call and let the agent know what happened my fare type would be change don the spot to a full Y (1.5 segments credited as well on each leg) and they would get me to where I was going.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm Reason: inappropriate content removed
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhnate
Is UAL responsible to protect us on another carrier in the same class or is there some rule that when it is reward ticket one has to find reward space all over again?
That is basically the intent of my original post. Over last night UA canceled something like 30+ flights.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
There is basically no saver availability to HKT available at this time. I had booked a GF award and would accept a BF substituted and a refund of the miles. But that isn't available either.

None of the supervisors were willing to open up standard award availability.
There must be saver availability via Europe to BKK. Would it be the end of the world if they got you that far? A r/t tkt on Bangkokair from BKK-HKT is < $200. I know that's really not fair but you would get your trip in F and just cough up an extra $200 to get into HKT (SILKAIR also flys into HKT from SIN if you can get to SIN
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:03 pm

Chicago to Hong Kong and Tokyo

I'm scheduled on UA895 on Christmas Day. Just checked my booking and they've moved that flight to UA895 on 22-December (before I arrive in Chicago!). A search of the booking engine and time table seems to show that UA895 stops operating after 23-December. It also appears that the directed ORD-NRT flight also stops. I called UA and the customer service agent said that both flights are being halted. This doesn't seem possible (especially given the threads I've seen about the 747 being used on HKG-SGN as a continuation of UA895).

So, before I start the task of rerouting (I'm booking on a reward flight through partner airline, so it will be a pain), any idea what is up? I did try doing a search, but didn't see anything, so either there is nothing or I used bad search terms.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by frontenac551
I'm scheduled on UA895 on Christmas Day. Just checked my booking and they've moved that flight to UA895 on 22-December (before I arrive in Chicago!). A search of the booking engine and time table seems to show that UA895 stops operating after 23-December. It also appears that the directed ORD-NRT flight also stops. I called UA and the customer service agent said that both flights are being halted. This doesn't seem possible (especially given the threads I've seen about the 747 being used on HKG-SGN as a continuation of UA895).

So, before I start the task of rerouting (I'm booking on a reward flight through partner airline, so it will be a pain), any idea what is up? I did try doing a search, but didn't see anything, so either there is nothing or I used bad search terms.
It looks like no ord-hkg for a few days christmas week.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:23 pm

I just came across this as well pertaining to a reservation of mine. May have to slum it in BF EWR-HKG. Where are all the 747's going?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Upstateflyer
Where are all the 747's going?
Demand to Asia is weak right around Christmas. Both flights will be back within a few days. Nothing to worry about w/r/t the bigger picture.

On Christmas Day, it looks like the only nonstop USA-Asia flights will be IAH/LAX-NRT and SFO-NRT/PVG/PEK/HKG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.