Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA closed my account.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Is trading RPU/GPU for RPU/GPUs as is done in the trading forum kosher?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Will UA cancel the M+ account of someone who bought an upgrade from someone else, or only cancel the account of the selling offender?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by daron4000
Will UA cancel the M+ account of someone who bought an upgrade from someone else, or only cancel the account of the selling offender?
Normally this depends upon on how much UA must pay to the person that narc's on both of them. The pair of theater tickets that the g/a receives for busting the buyer is also factored into the equation.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by LilAbner
They do that & they also question the passengers, sometimes.
I sponsor my Mom on upgrades a few times a year and they used to question her pretty frequently. The funny thing is they never question Mrs. Emanon and we have different last names, but my Mom and I have the same last names. Sadly none of my sponsored upgrades have cleared since 3/3.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
That a 1K MM risks his lifetime status to sell upgrades on Ebay just blows me away. On bloody ebay???? WTH was he thinking?

^ It is nut's to me too. Some people just always want more.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Originally Posted by valor155
He wasn't thinking. People do stupid things all the time . . . far stupider than this and you'll see it on the news every day.

People just get too greedy and arrogant sometimes.

The story is completely believable.
True, but sometimes when people do seemingly stupid things it is simply ignorance or inexperience, not greed or malice. The proliferation of lengthy T&Cs (the "fine print") written in legalize in every aspect of modern life leads many people to simply not read them, and most of the time it works out okay for them. Then there is the misleading terminology used by UA employees when referring to MP benefits -- I often hear the word "free" used in connection with upgrades or flights, usually as a way deprecating the value of a benefit when something falls through.

We at FlyerTalk are unusually clued in to FF programs but I'll bet even we don't always stop to appreciate the monetary difference between a "free" mileage redemption and the list price of that benefit. A breezy approach to the matter might lead a customer to assume either something has no specific monetary value ("free") or else has been earned and the value belongs to them to do with as they please. Ignorance is no excuse, but it is the starting point and in my experience is more common than common sense.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:34 am

DELTA froze my SkyMiles account a few years ago because they thought I had or was selling awards.

DELTA did not provide any way to contact the Fraud department directly, so I went to PBI and spoke with the Station Manger who listened and said that he would see what he could do for me and get back with me.

A couple of days later he called me and said that he was able to find the right department and after speaking with them, he was told that they were concerned about two rewards that I had redeem for Thailand in J for two people that did not have the same family name as myself.

I explained that they were for my Uncle and Aunt for their 35th wedding anniversary and that it was a gift, he gave me the number of the Fraud department and the name of the person that he spoke with and wished me luck in clearing the situation up.

I called DL's fraud department and after leaving for a voice mail for the Fraud investigator which the PBI Station Manager spoke with, I received a call back the following day and after asking a bunch of questions the Fraud Investigator said that it seemed like I was selling rewards after years of collecting miles with not one redemption.

He said that he was satisfied that I had not done anything wrong and that using miles for a gift are a perfectly acceptable way of using mile and he would unfreeze my account.

The moral of the story, if you did nothing wrong, you will be vindicated.

Dan

Last edited by dan1431; Aug 20, 2012 at 9:43 am
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Makes sense for a business to fire a customer who can't be pleased. Not only does the business spend endless time trying to make things right which can't be made right, but the reputational damage adds up.

Nobody wants the persistent whiner as a customer, but it takes a while to realize that the person who complains about the thread count in the hot towels is also complaining about the crummy BP paper.

On the FF fraud, the miles have $0 value. One can sue and win and get $0.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
On the FF fraud, the miles have $0 value. One can sue and win and get $0.
I understand this argument but the miles are on United's books at some value. I think for around a penny to a penny and a half. So theoretically they have some cash value. However pushing the argument that they have cash value opens up a much bigger (and IMO worse) can of worms which is the taxation of frequent flyer miles as earned income. This gets bubbled up every few years but fortunately hasn't come to pass.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Thats what i'm worried about but thankfully i have an email from 1K voice telling me to trade my expiring GPU with someone for a later expiring GPU.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
To the letter of the rules, no.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by CDKing
Thats what i'm worried about but thankfully i have an email from 1K voice telling me to trade my expiring GPU with someone for a later expiring GPU.
How did you manage to get that?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I wouldn't trust anything from 1k voice to be your get out of jail free card, since now it no longer exists.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by soccerguy985:19158028
I wouldn't trust anything from 1k voice to be your get out of jail free card, since now it no longer exists.
That may be true, but poster has an e-mail from an employee acting as an official voice of the company. Won't matter what department it came from.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by daron4000
In the case of the aforementioned 1K offender who I knew, they only demanded the the customers who had bought the final 2 upgrades provide their own miles for the upgrades. They also gave them a stern warning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.