Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to "slim" the A320 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I guess I am in the minority, as I find the Airbus slimline seats a good improvement over the past seats. The higher literature pocket is a great place to hang my iPad from to watch movies. ^
I do the same thing. The cover fits in the literature slot perfectly.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by planemechanic
I guess I am in the minority, as I find the Airbus slimline seats a good improvement over the past seats. The higher literature pocket is a great place to hang my iPad from to watch movies. ^
No movie will distract me from the back pain after sitting in those seats for 4 hours straight.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:03 am
Suspended

If you're flying LAX-SFO, the seats are "okay". If you're flying LAX-IAD, you're reeling in pain by the time you're over DEN.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:40 am

I recently flew on a 320 with the new seats for the first time. At just over 6'1" the new seats are absolutely miserable. I have never been this uncomfortable on an airplane and have never had my legs still hurting two days later, and that segment was only DEN-DSM.

For the four flights that trip, I'll take the E170 I was on, and the return USAir CR9 and A319 (UAL went mx) any day over the new slim line seats.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:32 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I have long since left UA, but my parents are traveling on them today. I know the A320s have the worse slimline version (grey ones) but on their A320 flight the seats are similar to the new 'signature' slim line seats with the dark blue cover and UA logo tag on it. Are they switching the seats from the grey ones or are they just simply replacing the covers for consistency in appearance?

Just curious.

P.S. This is also probably their last time flying UA regularly as the LAX-BWI nonstop is going kibosh on a seasonal basis and the IAH flight is going down to 1x4w connecting in ORD/EWR in the winter is not a good substitute.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Just a new cover. I did LGA-IAH-LGA on these seats (including the new covere) over the past few days. It was, as expected, not quite as bad as the NEK seats but also not particularly comfortable. "Firm" is an understatement.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by united4
If you're flying LAX-SFO, the seats are "okay". If you're flying LAX-IAD, you're reeling in pain by the time you're over DEN.
I flew this last week and ended up 7F after missing an upgrade. It was a terrible seat. Too short under the thighs, rock hard, and I'm pretty sure it was narrower than usual. They should have done something where E+ was a every so slightly nicer seat, not just legroom additions. After the outbound flight, any traveler would pay to get into those seats.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA1K
the sad thing is, these seats aren't going anywhere. the a319/a320 used to be my favorite planes to fly. now? i'll avoid them at all cost. heck, 2A on the e145 is better than the slimline.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I've heard so much about these seats. I can't wait to FINALLY try them on my LAX-BOS next week. B6 and VX usually get my business on this route, so here's UNITED's chance to shine.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I've heard so much about these seats. I can't wait to FINALLY try them on my LAX-BOS next week. B6 and VX usually get my business on this route, so here's UNITED's chance to shine.
The seat wasn't horrible like I've read, but it wasn't that comfortable either.

I do think the seat is a little short (and what's with the tiny armrest?), but the bigger issue was the discomfort in my lower back, which presented itself during the second hour of flight. No long lasting damage, and I even slept fine for a couple of hours.

The seats are not that bad, and certainly not bad enough for me to go out of my way to avoid them. That being said, they would be better with a little more lumbar support IMO.

The seats are crazy thin!

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 21, 2014 at 1:19 am
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Had LAX->IAH in an A320 10 days ago
was in 10A
Am 6'1" 200lb
Slept the entire 3.5 hour flight and had no pain or discomfort anywhere

I like the new seats more then the old ones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.