Advice on Asia award travel please

Old Aug 17, 12, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Advice on Asia award travel please

I am getting ready to book a trip to Asia this winter and am a little confused about how using award upgrades works. Are the awards with a co-pay awarded immediately or are they put in the priority list with complimentary upgrades for the various Premier passengers? If a flight is wide open in F does that mean I will be able to upgrade with miles and co pay after buying the ticket? Unlike booking a full award ticket you don't know upfront.

I am debating whether I should just use the miles to ticket an F award if there is no assurance about being able to use the miles to upgrade.

I appreciate any advice.

Last edited by DianeDakota; Aug 17, 12 at 12:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 17, 12, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by DianeDakota View Post
I am getting ready to book a trip to Asia this winter and am a little confused about how using award upgrades works. Are the awards with a co-pay awarded immediately or are they put in the priority list with complimentary upgrades for the various Premier passengers? If a flight is wide open in F does that mean I will be able to upgrade with miles and co pay after buying the ticket? Unlike booking a full award ticket you don't know upfront.

I am debating whether I should just use the miles to ticket an F award if there is no assurance about being able to use the miles to upgrade.

I appreciate any advice.
The upgrade can be immediately confirmed if there is space in the "R" bucket for the flight..this is the upgrade bucket for economy to business class. Do a dummy booking and click on the "Fare Class" link next to the flight..this will display all of the fare buckets. If it says R0, or if R does not display at all then it means there is no upgrade space currently available so it would be waitlisted. If the upgrade never clears you'd be refunded the miles and the copay amount.

There are no complimentary upgrades for Premiers on trans oceanic international flights...you'll be prioritized according to status and then booking code.
Old Aug 17, 12, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
The upgrade can be immediately confirmed if there is space in the "R" bucket for the flight..this is the upgrade bucket for economy to business class. Do a dummy booking and click on the "Fare Class" link next to the flight..this will display all of the fare buckets. If it says R0, or if R does not display at all then it means there is no upgrade space currently available so it would be waitlisted. If the upgrade never clears you'd be refunded the miles and the copay amount.

There are no complimentary upgrades for Premiers on trans oceanic international flights...you'll be prioritized according to status and then booking code.
Thank you so much. That is so helpful. I was absolutely clueless what the fare buckets meant.
Old Aug 17, 12, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DianeDakota View Post
Thank you so much. That is so helpful. I was absolutely clueless what the fare buckets meant.
This thread explains all: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...upgrade+search
Old Aug 17, 12, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Thank you. I found this one too http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/

United doesn't do a very good job of explaining this on the website.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: