Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA won't refund my unused economy plus seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

I purchased 3 economy plus seats for a UA flight EWR to SEA. Sometime before the actual flight, the plane was changed without notification and 2 of my 3 seats were bumped back to economy class. I was traveling with my husband and toddler and wanted the three of us to sit together, especially as I am currently pregnant. The agent at the gate refunded the economy plus fare for the 2 economy seats (25 D & E) but refused to refund the third seat (9F). I boarded the plane and explained the situation to the flight attendants, and they moved the person in 25F to 9F. I asked them to communicate with the gate agent so that I could get a refund on the economy plus seat that I was no longer using; they stated that they could not do so but that I could run back to the gate to clarify the seat change to the agent and request a refund. I did so and the gate agent with whom I had dealt with earlier shot me a dirty look and refused to address my concern. I explained that I did not want to pay for a service that I was NOT getting and she showed no sympathy nor concern for my situation and waved me away with her hand saying that I should just contact customer service. I wanted the situation resolved AT THAT TIME, rather than resorting to the anonymous nature of online customer service. All I was asking for was a refund for a premium seat that I was not using.

I've posted my complaint to UA's online customer service but with the rising tide of complaints, I am afraid my $79 is lost and simply added to their $3.4 billion in fee revenue. Anyone with any feedback on this?

dragonroll
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There is no incentive for UA to refund the money, as you voluntarily gave up that seat when you could have used it. In a more rational world, they would try to keep families seated together, but this is the "new" UA that randomly changes seating without warning. You can write emails, letters, and tweets, but your chances of getting a refund are nearly zero. Sorry.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While I would think good customer service would provide a refund, the fact you voluntary gave up the seat is going work against you. If this is recent you might be able to dispute the credit card but again it was a voluntary change (understanding you believe you had no other choice).
You best hope is getting a hold of someone who sees the bigger picture but I would not hold out much hope of that.

Welcome to FT!,dragonroll
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by dragonroll
I purchased 3 economy plus seats for a UA flight EWR to SEA. Sometime before the actual flight, the plane was changed without notification and 2 of my 3 seats were bumped back to economy class. I was traveling with my husband and toddler and wanted the three of us to sit together, especially as I am currently pregnant. The agent at the gate refunded the economy plus fare for the 2 economy seats (25 D & E) but refused to refund the third seat (9F). I boarded the plane and explained the situation to the flight attendants, and they moved the person in 25F to 9F. I asked them to communicate with the gate agent so that I could get a refund on the economy plus seat that I was no longer using; they stated that they could not do so but that I could run back to the gate to clarify the seat change to the agent and request a refund. I did so and the gate agent with whom I had dealt with earlier shot me a dirty look and refused to address my concern. I explained that I did not want to pay for a service that I was NOT getting and she showed no sympathy nor concern for my situation and waved me away with her hand saying that I should just contact customer service. I wanted the situation resolved AT THAT TIME, rather than resorting to the anonymous nature of online customer service. All I was asking for was a refund for a premium seat that I was not using.

I've posted my complaint to UA's online customer service but with the rising tide of complaints, I am afraid my $79 is lost and simply added to their $3.4 billion in fee revenue. Anyone with any feedback on this?

dragonroll
the best way to deal with extra fee at airlines is not to pay them.. you were giving them $79 for a few inchs? i would rather take my family to a $79 steak dinner.. but to each their own.. but airline suck.. my expectation are so low i never get mad...hehe
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Yes, the OP voluntarily gave up her seat but UA voluntarily changed the aircraft type forcing the family to separate. As the OP was pregnant, she wanted to sit with her family.

Clearly, the OP deserves her money back. If UA didn't change the aircraft type there wouldn't be a problem. Who created this pickle?

What am I missing?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Yes, the OP voluntarily gave up her seat but UA voluntarily changed the aircraft type forcing the family to separate. As the OP was pregnant, she wanted to sit with her family.

Clearly, the OP deserves her money back. If UA didn't change the aircraft type there wouldn't be a problem. Who created this pickle?

What am I missing?
Hundreds of thousands of UA flyers are asking the same question, and coming up with the same answer.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold

Talk to UA Cust Service and let us know what they say.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Hundreds of thousands of UA flyers are asking the same question, and coming up with the same answer.
Well, I guess I was really referring to posts #2 and #3 that seem to side with UA since the OP "voluntarily" gave up her seat. My point is that UA first voluntarily changed the aircraft type. I didn't get their rationale.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
The issue here will be any evidence UA really has is the scan of the boarding pass with her assigned seat. There is no way to verify she switched after the fact, and as said that was voluntary so they have a legitimate case that we offered you the seat that you paid for.

It is not in the terms an conditions that if we provide the seat you paid for in E+ but decide you're rather go sit further back in E- to be with your family that we will give you your money back on the up charge.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by grahampros
It is not in the terms an conditions that if we provide the seat you paid for in E+ but decide you're rather go sit further back in E- to be with your family that we will give you your money back on the up charge.
Completely and utterly baffled by this reply...

UA changed the aircraft type and split up the family!!!!!

They were originally sitting together!!!

Time for bed.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Cool

Well, I guess I was really referring to posts #2 and #3 that seem to side with UA since the OP "voluntarily" gave up her seat. My point is that UA first voluntarily changed the aircraft type. I didn't get their rationale.
They don't have any rationale, just seemingly random seat reassingments without warning. It has happened to many posters on FT.

Not siding with UA's crap, just pointing out what the juicebags will say when refusing to fix their mess. Again.

Sometimes it is futile to fight something, and unfortunately I doubt the OP will get anywhere, so advising her not to waste much energy on this.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

They were originally sitting together!!! .....
going to hazard a guess they were on seperate PNRs
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Completely and utterly baffled by this reply...

They were originally sitting together!!!

Time for bed.
Why would you be baffled? Not saying it's right, but she did get issued a boarding pass for E+. Her choice not to take it. Far better case if the two who didn't get didn't it get refunded. There is no law anywhere that says families must sit together.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
So if she wasn't pregnant it's all in UA's favor?
Aircraft changes happen all the time and it's written into the purchase agreement that seating is not guaranteed. I do agree that not refunding the 3rd seat was poor customer service but the reasoning the OP and others are giving is what I can't get behind. Being pregnant has nothing to do with it. 3 seats were purchased together and if they can get 3 seats together by moving 1 person it should be done. You page the person or let it happen when the BP is scanned and wow you give an E+ seat to someone making a family feel good about the airlines. Or you release the seat in hopes that someone buys up to E+ and then stick the single person you moved initially into the opened seat. Revenue is maximized and people are happy with the airlines.
Also expecting FAs to get you a refund because you can't sit together...not their job. I'm all for making an FA do their job but this isn't one of them.

What am I missing?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:50 pm
Suspended

OP just look at it for what it is ,you just made a donation to Jeffs and company Retirement pkg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.