FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Partial GPU usage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1376391-partial-gpu-usage.html)

STEPHANKOENIG Aug 12, 2012 3:30 am

Partial GPU usage

Hi,

Being an old CO flyer, I have never been a 1K. I have never used GPUs. Now I want to use one of a friend, but despite spending a few hours searching the web (including FT), I could not find how UA handles this.

I have a HAM-EWR-TPA.

HAM-EWR has no R available right now and only 2 F.

EWR-TPA has.

If I use the GPU now and the first segment does not clear, will the GPU still count as used because of the second segment?

Thanks

Stephan

SLC Aug 12, 2012 3:46 am

According to the following, your GPU should be returned if the HAM-EWR segment doesn't clear.

In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded.
Source: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx

channa Aug 12, 2012 3:59 am

Originally Posted by SLC (Post 19104677)
According to the following, your GPU should be returned if the HAM-EWR segment doesn't clear.

"Should" is the important part.

The process is supposed to be automated, but many have reported instruments not being returned.

sabbasolo Aug 12, 2012 6:12 am

Required contacting customer service

My wife and I had a BF mileage ticket where the international segment didn't clear - the difference in points for her ticket (y to BF) didn't come back. MP PG phone agent couldn't help, referred us to customer service - web request led to redeposit of miles 2 weeks later.

I was on the same itinerary, also upgrading to BF, but using miles+copay on a paid ticket - mine came back - points after 1 week, cash after a further 2 weeks.

troyb Aug 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I highly doubt the Hamburg flight will clear. I flew it a bunch last year and it was consistently sold out up deot in advance.

STEPHANKOENIG Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for all the answers.

Does anybody have an idea, why I am not getting notifications when you guys answer me ?

Its set to instant and my E-Mail address works.

I even get promotional mails from FT sometimes.

No spam folder.

STEPHANKOENIG Oct 15, 2012 9:23 am

Just to give the results in case somebody else ever searches:

I used a GPU, it did not clear in the international portion, only on the domestic part was upgarded.

The GPU was automaticly put back on the account next day.

PHLyer82 Oct 15, 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by STEPHANKOENIG (Post 19498901)
Just to give the results in case somebody else ever searches:

I used a GPU, it did not clear in the international portion, only on the domestic part was upgarded.

The GPU was automaticly put back on the account next day.

Thats good to know. I recently had a GPU waitlisted with a domestic segment clearing. The agent tried to waitlist both so I didn't waist my GPU if the int'l segment cleared. I explained the rules and she said I could take that chance if I wanted. I did since I was pretty sure I was right in this case.

STEPHANKOENIG Oct 15, 2012 9:35 am

I did however use a regional upgarde for my wife (2 domestic flights) and both did not clear.

I did not get the upgrade back until I called in 10 days later.

Steve M Oct 15, 2012 10:32 am

Just another data point: I waitlisted an RPU for a domestic flight that didn't end up clearing, and the RPU was back in my acct automatically in less than 2 days.