Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD-CUN upgrade - CPU, buy-up, miles or RPU?

Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys.
I'm going to Cancun on March 2nd flying IAD-CUN direct. .bomb is offering me a 244+470 dollars for a round trip buy-up or a 15,000*2 mileage upgrade(booked in U so no co-pay). Is the buy up or mileage upgrade worth it? I can also get a RPU from a GS friend, but that's really the last thing I want to do for an upgrade. Also IAD-CUN is a route eligible for CPU, so should I shot for the CPU instead of using any miles, RPU or buy-up? The ticket was purchased at ~730, and I applied an e-cert so the price ended up being 570.
Thanks for any advice
Ben
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Buy outbound..use miles inbound. But if I had a good exit row seat I'd sweat a CPU on one of the legs as a Gold.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My guess is that this is a relatively easy CPU, even for Silvers.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My guess is that this is a relatively easy CPU, even for Silvers.
Really?

About a year ago, I was on a Full C ticket on that one, took a VDB and got rebooked in Y the next day, but on the PR1 (top waitlist) for C. I got the last seat at the gate, then ran into a fellow 1K FTer on the jet bridge. She did the walk of shame back to Y as 1K on a revenue ticket. Yes, CUN-IAD.

The leisure Mexico, Caribbean, and leisure Latin routes often surprise me. I've missed or sweated out several of them (SJU, STT, CUN, BZE, etc.), some of them several times, as both 1K on UA and Plat on DL.

There must be significant mileage redemptions and/or paid C leisure business that eat up the premium inventory.

That said, it's not a long flight, so I really wouldn't worry about it. CUN-IAD is shorter than IAD-DEN, and it's more miles to upgrade since it's "Mexico." Not the best value, IMO, unless you're going onward (e.g., CUN-IAD-SEA-ANC).

So to answer the OP's question, I would just CPU it if you're only flying CUN-IAD. 3 hours in E+ is tolerable, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.