Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Nstaskey
I am a United GS member and my wife and I booked trips to the Maldives using miles in business class. My brother-in-law purchased an upgradable ticket for which he was instantly upgraded on the outbound from EWR to DEL. On the return (SIN - SFO) united flight he was put on a waitlist. I don't understand the "R" in the advanced booking as I can only see options like "upgradable using GPU" and it still says only "waitlisted" as an option still. Any suggestions on how to get this cleared sooner rather than later?

Much appreciated!!!
as a GS you are looking for PN to be available. SIN-SFO is a tough upgrade; I never play that lottery and always buy front cabin ... often seeing 20+ on the UG list w/ nobody clearing. Other than watching PN there is not much you can do here.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
Roger- appreciate the nudge!, called, was initially routed to the wrong desk, then magically rerouted to "Premier" operator; I briefly explained what was going on and BAM upgrade confirmed! Icing on the cake is that call cut out just after I gave her my travel companion's PNR but both are upgraded.

See, United, that wasn't so hard, was it?!?!?
As another data point, I had a similar experience this week on a HKG-ORD reservation. I am Silver and had a MUA for myself and a companion waitlisted for a few weeks (PNR split at checkin for inbound flight). I saw PZ=4, called the Premier Desk and was able to instantly process upgrades for both PNRs.

Thank you FlyerTalk!

Last edited by andol469; Jan 5, 2019 at 5:00 pm Reason: Fixed fare bucket to PZ
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: EXP PLT, UA1K, QF Gold
Cool PZ1 in availablity - called the desk and hey presto

Whilst its annoying that the 'system' doesn't sweep and clear the upgrades (GPU), its ok to check online a couple of times a day & you might be lucky to find PZ open.......call the 1K desk and pushed through ....now for the 2nd segment to clear ..........

The process maybe broken but do you really want some IT 'whizz kid' to play around with the current process and try to fix it or worse - screw it up even further.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
How does one look at the website and determine if PZ is available?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Just had it happen again. A month ago booked EWR-ORD-HKG with GPU applied at booking, at which time ORD-HKG cleared and EWR-ORD W/L for PN. This morning I checked and it was at PN=3 but the W/L had not cleared. I called GS and they cleared it immediately.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Is a GPU PN or PZ and how do I tell on United's Website if they are available?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
How does one look at the website and determine if PZ is available?
You just set you United account as "Expert Flyer" (or is it called "Expert Mode"?). When you look for flights you have to be logged in your account. You look into the "Details" for every flights choices offered: it will have how many seats are available for every fare code up to 9. So, for example PZ can be PZ0 to PZ9.

For GS, the GPUs clear into PN.

Since it seems that you are GS, you have to look the PN number. So, PN can be PN0 to PN9.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The past several times I have had a flight with PZ>0 but a waitlisted upgrade, when I called, the very moment the agent "entered" the itin, the system cleared it before they could do anything else.

One was a longhaul, so I called as soon as the itin had ticketed but the GPU had waitlisted; the other was a shorthaul that I probably would have cleared CPU on, but given it had been 5 hours since reissuing the ticket, I called.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by exerda
The past several times I have had a flight with PZ>0 but a waitlisted upgrade, when I called, the very moment the agent "entered" the itin, the system cleared it before they could do anything else.
+1 this happened today for me...maybe this is a workaround so agents stop calling their supervisors.

Every waitlist I have had since mid 2017 had to be called in when I see PZ>0. Now I check daily for my waitlists as I don't trust them.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is a GPU PN or PZ and how do I tell on United's Website if they are available?
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
You just set you United account as "Expert Flyer" (or is it called "Expert Mode"?). When you look for flights you have to be logged in your account. You look into the "Details" for every flights choices offered: it will have how many seats are available for every fare code up to 9. So, for example PZ can be PZ0 to PZ9.

For GS, the GPUs clear into PN.

Since it seems that you are GS, you have to look the PN number. So, PN can be PN0 to PN9.
United calls it 'Expert Mode'. ('Expert Flyer' is a subscription service, not affiliated with UA, that offers access to supplemental flight information.)

Originally Posted by exerda

One was a longhaul, so I called as soon as the itin had ticketed but the GPU had waitlisted; the other was a shorthaul that I probably would have cleared CPU on, but given it had been 5 hours since reissuing the ticket, I called.
That's interesting. How was it conveyed to you? E.g., 'I have the reservation now and it shows you already as upgraded', or 'I just opened the reservation, and I tried to push the upgrade, but it went through before I did anything'?

I'm also curious: did you notice (via flight status or inventory) if the system swept the list (multiple new J bookings / diminution of PZ by more than one) or if it just pushed you through?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fumje
United calls it 'Expert Mode'. ('Expert Flyer' is a subscription service, not affiliated with UA, that offers access to supplemental flight information.)

That's interesting. How was it conveyed to you? E.g., 'I have the reservation now and it shows you already as upgraded', or 'I just opened the reservation, and I tried to push the upgrade, but it went through before I did anything'?

I'm also curious: did you notice (via flight status or inventory) if the system swept the list (multiple new J bookings / diminution of PZ by more than one) or if it just pushed you through?
Seriously? That would be awesome although could not corroborate. T-12 had to HUCA 3 times before getting someone to push it through. They redeposited the old upgrade and used a new one but the new upgrade expires later than the old upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with if it's better to call before or after travel to try to fix this? (I.e. replace the confirmed upgrade currently with a new RPU to use the old RPU.)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:00 pm
GeP

Originally Posted by VWang1111
They redeposited the old upgrade and used a new one but the new upgrade expires later than the old upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with if it's better to call before or after travel to try to fix this? (I.e. replace the confirmed upgrade currently with a new RPU to use the old RPU.)
Call as quickly as possible. I had this happen to me once, and was told that "afterwards there is nothing we can do".
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GeP
Call as quickly as possible. I had this happen to me once, and was told that "afterwards there is nothing we can do".
+1
This has happened to me several times over the past years and absolutely get them to change it prior to travel or you will get the "nothing we can do about it" line.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by VWang1111

Seriously? That would be awesome although could not corroborate. T-12 had to HUCA 3 times before getting someone to push it through. They redeposited the old upgrade and used a new one but the new upgrade expires later than the old upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with if it's better to call before or after travel to try to fix this? (I.e. replace the confirmed upgrade currently with a new RPU to use the old RPU.)
send an Email to MP ... story is .... agent used RPU that expired later than the one expiring earlier. Better not mention the T-12 stuff ... nothing good can come from that. No need to wait.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had one that was waitlisted. It showed PZ = 1 before I went to sleep (in the US). I called and the agent would not do anything.

Then the next morning, it showed PZ = 2. I called. The agent looked at the WL and saw 10 1Ks waiting for it. She said she could see who is on the WL but could not see the order. She also said they run the thing once a day.

She put me on hold for a long time and essentially removed the upgrade request and re-applied it (I could see the re-deposit and deposit). Then I got it.

I wonder if this is caused by them running the upgrade once a day and the inventory adjustment runs after the upgrade runs? So, when the inventory is adjust further, more seats are released - making it look like nothing had happened?

Last edited by username; Jan 13, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.