Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I finally saw PZ3 and called the 1K desk to have them push my RPU's through.
Total shame this has to be done this way. The number of pax posting exactly this is getting ridiculous, you shouldn't have to do this!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
You're totally right, I think we've become desensitized to it. Follow up question - being that we were waitlisted and didn't automatically clear when PZ>0, is it possible that we cleared ahead of other pax that were waitlisted ahead of us?

That seems like a broken system for sure if that's possible.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it possible that we cleared ahead of other pax that were waitlisted ahead of us?
Of course it is. But, if you hadn’t called, someone waitlisted after you — or someone not on the waitlist at all — could have grabbed them.

The waitlist system is entirely broken, has been for years, and if it’s ever fixed, it will likely be in some way that is very much not to our benefit. (e.g., “Hey, boss, I can’t fix the waitlist function.” “OK, just disable all waitlist functionality.”)
chavala and AceReport like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan

Of course it is. But, if you hadn’t called, someone waitlisted after you — or someone not on the waitlist at all — could have grabbed them.

The waitlist system is entirely broken, has been for years, and if it’s ever fixed, it will likely be in some way that is very much not to our benefit. (e.g., “Hey, boss, I can’t fix the waitlist function.” “OK, just disable all waitlist functionality.”)
That is very broken; definitely should not work like that. (Even if / when it benefits me.) Although I would argue that knowing when to call and look is why it pays to know the "rules" of MileagePlus. This is why some people find more value out of their status / upgrades / RPU's / GPU's / compensation than others.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

That is very broken; definitely should not work like that. (Even if / when it benefits me.) Although I would argue that knowing when to call and look is why it pays to know the "rules" of MileagePlus. This is why some people find more value out of their status / upgrades / RPU's / GPU's / compensation than others.
This is a very good point. So many people complaining about never being able to use their GPUs, but just WL them and sit back and do nothing. You need to be very proactive.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Totally agree and I am indeed sick of this. I don't have the time (or inclination) to hawk PZ space with instruments in play and nor should I have to. I can only guess that this has contributed to my lack of success in clearing upgrade instruments over the past several years.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Jan 17 2019 flight IAD to NRT
Booked/purchased in W fare class in December.
Doing a dummy booking today (Jan 2) showed PZ = 2. But, my upgrade did not clear although the seat was showing immediately available for purchase to anyone who wanted it. Called 1k line and the first agent told me she couldn’t help, the system would upgrade based on priority status. Second agent cheerfully upgraded me while I waited on the line.
Why there should be any PZ availability showing when GPU holders are still waitlisted is a mystery. Seems like a way to get more money out of people for upgrade eligible fares that then won’t clear.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BlueSky72
...Why there should be any PZ availability showing when GPU holders are still waitlisted is a mystery. Seems like a way to get more money out of people for upgrade eligible fares that then won’t clear.
There is a time lag between UA populating PZ and the upgrade sweep.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Saw PZ1 and called to get upgrade

Originally Posted by BlueSky72
Jan 17 2019 flight IAD to NRT
Booked/purchased in W fare class in December.
Doing a dummy booking today (Jan 2) showed PZ = 2. But, my upgrade did not clear although the seat was showing immediately available for purchase to anyone who wanted it. Called 1k line and the first agent told me she couldn’t help, the system would upgrade based on priority status. Second agent cheerfully upgraded me while I waited on the line.
Why there should be any PZ availability showing when GPU holders are still waitlisted is a mystery. Seems like a way to get more money out of people for upgrade eligible fares that then won’t clear.
I only needed to call once and got the upgrade in less than 3 min. The agent was cheerful. Perhaps, it is the New Year spirit. Cheers!
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CPU with RPU waitlisted

I think someone described a similar experience recently, but I can't find the post.

I just got a CPU email for a flight 1 on a connecting itinerary for which I'd waitlisted an RPU. I had already cleared flight 2 on the itinerary, so I can't see that it matters to me, but I take that as another sign that the processing of waitlisted upgrades is (even more) broken.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:10 pm

I had this issue over the holidays. I waitlisted four of us for a miles + co-pay upgrade. PZ = 0 at time of waitlisting, then I watched PZ (and PN) go from 1, 2, 3, and then 4 over several days. I figure since it stayed open, I had a reasonable chance of clearing when it went PZ=4. Well, after a day of watching it sit at PZ=4, it got zeroed out overnight, and it appears that at two different parties got upgraded. This was a 3-class 772, and some of the upgraders selected seats in the forward old GF cabin, and the other selected seats in the BF cabin. So although I was 1K, it looks like some non-GS/1Kers got upgraded (unless they intentionally picked seats in the BF cabin, though I'm not sure why). There were still 9 seats unbooked, but that dropped to 0 suddenly within a few days of departure, and only 2 people cleared on the day of – we got switched to a Polaris aircraft, which has 50 J vs. 48 F/J on the old 772.

I suppose the advice on this forum would be to call to have the upgrade request canceled and to apply the upgrade again manually online? Not sure what else I could have done differently.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Wong lesson

The lesson from your experience is "trying not to be too greedy." When you saw PZ2, you should split the reservation into two and call to get the two seats first. Even the agent did not do your any favor (by getting the upgrade for you), the chance of clearing two seats was greatly increased, compared to four seats.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by windhund
I had this issue over the holidays. I waitlisted four of us for a miles + co-pay upgrade. PZ = 0 at time of waitlisting, then I watched PZ (and PN) go from 1, 2, 3, and then 4 over several days. I figure since it stayed open, I had a reasonable chance of clearing when it went PZ=4. Well, after a day of watching it sit at PZ=4, it got zeroed out overnight, and it appears that at two different parties got upgraded. This was a 3-class 772, and some of the upgraders selected seats in the forward old GF cabin, and the other selected seats in the BF cabin. So although I was 1K, it looks like some non-GS/1Kers got upgraded (unless they intentionally picked seats in the BF cabin, though I'm not sure why). There were still 9 seats unbooked, but that dropped to 0 suddenly within a few days of departure, and only 2 people cleared on the day of – we got switched to a Polaris aircraft, which has 50 J vs. 48 F/J on the old 772.

I suppose the advice on this forum would be to call to have the upgrade request canceled and to apply the upgrade again manually online? Not sure what else I could have done differently.
Yes, that's the correct advice. You can call and ask for the upgrades to clear but that's almost never going to work anymore since the agent should deny you and tell you that the "computer" must do everything. So you can kindly ask to have the upgrade instruments removed and then you can re-apply them online and clear immediately. Applying RPU/GPU online to a reservation will clear if PZ>0 regardless of what the waitlist looks like behind the scenes.

It's too bad you waited and missed out on the seats. The Polaris 777 birds are nice.

-RM
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:44 am

kmxu: I wanted to keep us together in case we got a new 772 with PE seats. I had heard about non-1K/GS people getting kicked out of those seats, and if the PNR had split, those who weren't with me could have gotten swept out of those PE seats when the aircraft changed.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yes, that's the correct advice. You can call and ask for the upgrades to clear but that's almost never going to work anymore since the agent should deny you and tell you that the "computer" must do everything. So you can kindly ask to have the upgrade instruments removed and then you can re-apply them online and clear immediately. Applying RPU/GPU online to a reservation will clear if PZ>0 regardless of what the waitlist looks like behind the scenes.

It's too bad you waited and missed out on the seats. The Polaris 777 birds are nice.

-RM
Thanks. Frustrating that UA IT can't fix this, though those who are in the know can use it to their benefit in the meantime. Silver lining: we got to try the PE seats and didn't have to pay extra APD. We did get the Polaris seats on the way over, so we got to enjoy them for part of the journey. (Though part of me wishes we got to try the old GF seats that we were originally in!)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Question on Global Upgrades

I am a United GS member and my wife and I booked trips to the Maldives using miles in business class. My brother-in-law purchased an upgradable ticket for which he was instantly upgraded on the outbound from EWR to DEL. On the return (SIN - SFO) united flight he was put on a waitlist. I don't understand the "R" in the advanced booking as I can only see options like "upgradable using GPU" and it still says only "waitlisted" as an option still. Any suggestions on how to get this cleared sooner rather than later?

Much appreciated!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.