Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Glad you monitored and got it cleared. Sad that this still happens. Good agents will run a full sweep when you call about this.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
How many hours were left between your call and departure?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by solma
I thought this has been fixed, booked on UA 91 tonight W class with GPU and hasn't cleared as of this morning flight load is 49/60 and then I go to UA.com and see that there are saver seats available!! I called and the first agent said he can't clear the waitlist called again and the agent cleared it. She said she report the issue. I Hope the other 7 people on the UG list will get their seats.
I had something similar happen to my on my upcoming flight. Inventory was R1 and when I called UA to see if my upgrade could be processed, the agent said he couldn't clear the list because I was on a codeshare flight (UA ticket, UA metal, LH flight number). I didn't believe him because a codeshare flight on the same itinerary was already upgraded, but I didn't have time to call back and try working with another agent. I ended up getting the upgrade confirmation e-mail the next day, so everything worked out in the end.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:47 pm

R=1 / RPU not cleared. Have to wait for inventory control to process

UA 1255 7/13. I've had an RPU waitlisted for about 45 days just logged on to UA and see that R=1. Called UA and they said they can't auto clear because have to wait for inventory control process.

Is that right? I'm going to be really annoyed if this RPU doesn't clear.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
UA 1255 7/13. I've had an RPU waitlisted for about 45 days just logged on to UA and see that R=1. Called UA and they said they can't auto clear because have to wait for inventory control process.

Is that right? I'm going to be really annoyed if this RPU doesn't clear.
HUACA
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
HUACA
Did and it worked perfectly.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
UA 1255 7/13. I've had an RPU waitlisted for about 45 days just logged on to UA and see that R=1. Called UA and they said they can't auto clear because have to wait for inventory control process. ....
Some agents will say this
Partially because they are worried you might be skipping ahead of others on the waitlist
Partially because they don't want to mess with this

As mentioned if you call again, a good chance another agent will clear it.

If not, have them removed the RPU and then reapply -- you will then clear immediately.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Interesting experience today. Had a waitlisted RPU and saw that the underlying was R1.

Called, and the agent put me on hold while she talked to a supervisor. Came back and said that the super had to verify the list, and since it was #1 "it would have cleared anyway but we did it for you". Sounds like at least some agents are now verifying that you are not queue jumping, but I strongly suspect that if it were not #1 a process of HUCA + ask for the RPU to be pulled + apply a new one would clear into the open space.

FWIW the agent told me "the system clears instruments daily".
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I just purchased SEA-SFO-LAX-ITO. The first 2 legs have F9 and empty first class cabins. The LAX-ITO has F9/R4. I applied a GPU. All 3 segments waitlisted. The Hilo flight continues to show R3. The first 2 should have waitlisted but the 3rd should have cleared.

I called the 1K line and asked them to clear it. They told me "sorry, all 3 segments have to be available for it to clear." I protested that that wasn't true, talked to a supervisor who insisted it was, called back and repeated.

This clearly ISN"T true, but appears to be happening in this case. What is happening? What would you do?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmculp
What would you do?
I would HUACA. If that didn't work, and I was within 24 hours, I would cancel for a refund. Then I would call and book by phone, telling the agent I wanted to confirm the upgrade on the LAX-ITO segment.

If they couldn't do it, I would cancel and book the one-stop on HA.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would HUACA. If that didn't work, and I was within 24 hours, I would cancel for a refund. Then I would call and book by phone, telling the agent I wanted to confirm the upgrade on the LAX-ITO segment.

If they couldn't do it, I would cancel and book the one-stop on HA.
HUACA round 3 came through. GPU "applied" but not withdrawn from account. She re-ran the GPU pull and all worked well. Thanks Kacee - sometimes you want validation that you are correct prior to calling back again...and again.

Last edited by cmculp; Oct 4, 2017 at 9:53 am
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cmculp
I just purchased SEA-SFO-LAX-ITO. The first 2 legs have F9 and empty first class cabins. The LAX-ITO has F9/R4. I applied a GPU. All 3 segments waitlisted. The Hilo flight continues to show R3. The first 2 should have waitlisted but the 3rd should have cleared.

I called the 1K line and asked them to clear it. They told me "sorry, all 3 segments have to be available for it to clear." I protested that that wasn't true, talked to a supervisor who insisted it was, called back and repeated.

This clearly ISN"T true, but appears to be happening in this case. What is happening? What would you do?
Just call back again...don't repeat anything from the other agents, just start over from scratch - "I am waitlisted on this flight xxxx and I see R space is open, please process my GPU upgrade".
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Just had this issue happen to me as well. LAX-SIN RT. The first agent was adamant that no R class was available HUACA. The second agent got the issue resolved, but thought it was odd the system didn't sweep it properly. Second agent said that instrument sweeps are done by segment. I mentioned about married segments and she insisted that is only for revenue or award tix. Unsure if this issue popping up has to do with the gremlins tinkering the system for the Nov 1 award changes.

One overall concern is that I wonder if the issue on this reservation will persist on my other legs that I am waitlisted for? Or has this issue spread to my other reservations that I have waitlists on?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:02 pm

Well, this has not happened to me in a very long time. Got a GPU waitlisted for a flight in two days. Checked today and it was showing R1 but it hadn't cleared. Phoned up, the agent said "yes, I see it is R1, but the system will now start clearing the waitlist automatically and you are 1, 2, 3... [she counts out loud all the way up to...] number 9 on the list, so you'll just have to wait to see if the waitlist gets to you." I say, "no thanks, please just redeposit the GPU in my account." She has to "speak to her manager" to do this, but it only takes 2-3 mins on hold. Log back into my account, there's the GPU. I say thank you very much, hang up, go online, and process the upgrade. Bingo!

Crazy crazy system...

Very excited to try the new Polaris hard product for the first time!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by alexperi
Well, this has not happened to me in a very long time. Got a GPU waitlisted for a flight in two days. Checked today and it was showing R1 but it hadn't cleared. Phoned up, the agent said "yes, I see it is R1, but the system will now start clearing the waitlist automatically and you are 1, 2, 3... [she counts out loud all the way up to...] number 9 on the list, so you'll just have to wait to see if the waitlist gets to you." I say, "no thanks, please just redeposit the GPU in my account." She has to "speak to her manager" to do this, but it only takes 2-3 mins on hold. Log back into my account, there's the GPU. I say thank you very much, hang up, go online, and process the upgrade. Bingo!

Crazy crazy system...

Very excited to try the new Polaris hard product for the first time!
This is indeed a crazy way to do things, but I'm glad it worked for you...and glad I discovered this thread so I can try the same thing if I'm in that boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.