Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's just nonsense. Most of us are simply trying to get our upgrades cleared in circumstances where the computer is not processing correctly.

Or you think I was "gaming the sytsem" removing and reapplying my GPU on a flight that was R9 and booked 5/60 in J?
Depends on your waitlist position and the true number of R seats. If person #1 's ticket is out of sync and holding up the whole waitlist, you're number 12, and true inventory is R9, well then you're still gaming the system even though your heart and intentions are true. Same flight, same inventory, but you're #2 , then no. I can't blame you in any case, because even if you are #12 on the waitlist with R9, if you don't call in and take one of the available upgrades, any other person with instruments or miles can do the same and game the system even harder than you.

Why should upgrades when R>0 automatically clear anyway? You'd think UA would be smart and add everyone to the end of the waitlist regardless, and then have a desk that does nothing but fix these issues across the system until the code can be updated to stop it from happening in the first place. If the system were working as designed, if R>0 the waitlist should have zero people on it, so in my proposal if you apply an upgrade you'd go #1 on the waitlist for an instant and then be upgraded.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by prometa
If person #1 's ticket is out of sync and holding up the whole waitlist, you're number 12, and true inventory is R9, well then you're still gaming the system even though your heart and intentions are true. Same flight, same inventory, but you're #2 , then no. I can't blame you in any case, because even if you are #12 on the waitlist with R9, if you don't call in and take one of the available upgrades, any other person with instruments or miles can do the same and game the system even harder than you.
This has been debated at great length over the years. I don't believe there's anything wrong with queue jumping. The system is fundamentally broken such that the queue has basically become meaningless. It's the law of the jungle. Whoever sees the R can snag the R.

Why should upgrades when R>0 automatically clear anyway?
Seriously? Instruments should clear when R>0. They often don't because (a) the system is currently broken, and (b) SHARES does not allow dynamic processing of the waitlist, so even when the system is working there will be some lag between R opening and the system running a sweep.
Miggles and USHPNWDLUA like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why should upgrades when R>0 automatically clear anyway?
The day UA policy changes such that it's impossible for me to tell whether or not I can clear a transoceanic upgrade in advance is the last day I care a whit about reaching 1K.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
Yes. Something about early birds and worms... if they refuse to clear it, just ask them to pull back the RPU and re-apply yourself online. The computer will take care of the rest.
^Thanks for the advice. While refusing to grab the R space for me, they were more than happy to remove the RPU, which I promptly reapplied to get the UG.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:38 am

Seriously? Instruments should clear when R>0.
What I meant is why should new instruments clear via a direct, waitlist-independent process when R>0 and the flight has an open waitlist?

They often don't because (a) the system is currently broken, and (b) SHARES does not allow dynamic processing of the waitlist, so even when the system is working there will be some lag between R opening and the system running a sweep.
Agreed. UA should fix the system. If all requests went on the waitlist BUT the system actually worked, then if R>0 you'd end up #1 on the waitlist for a few milliseconds before clearing.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I meant is why should new instruments clear via a direct, waitlist-independent process when R>0 and the flight has an open waitlist?

Agreed. UA should fix the system. If all requests went on the waitlist BUT the system actually worked, then if R>0 you'd end up #1 on the waitlist for a few milliseconds before clearing.
Seems like you're trying to say the same thing but with different words. It should not be that the system allows waitlist jumping. As to the most expedient way to make that happen—.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Last night I received a "United Airlines Waitlist Notification" for a flight in a few weeks to which I applied an RPU. After recovering from my shock that an RPU actually cleared, I realized that the email came through at about 8PM. I cannot recall ever receiving one of these golden tickets during my waking hours. Has anybody else received one of these notifications outside of the midnight-2AM (Pacific Time) time frame? I'm wondering if UA is monitoring this thread, and perhaps fixed the problem??? (A girl can certainly dream. )
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
That's just nonsense. Most of us are simply trying to get our upgrades cleared in circumstances where the computer is not processing correctly.

Or you think I was "gaming the sytsem" removing and reapplying my GPU on a flight that was R9 and booked 5/60 in J?
No, it's not nonsense. The OP I replied to was trying to have their upgrade cleared out of order. The only way to protect the integrity of the upgrade order and allow United to process upgrades in the correct order is to fix the loophole. That obviously affects those who have waitlisted upgrades with wide-open cabins and less people on the waitlist than R has availability.

This thread is clearly about preserving the intent of the upgrade instrument and processing and we've all seen stories and proven that United's processes don't do that. So, it's not nonsense. There are better ways but clearly United isn't interested in fixing them so blocking a reservation from having an instrument waitlisted after one was removed (for 24 hours as an example) is a quick way for them to 'fix' this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
There are better ways but clearly United isn't interested in fixing them so blocking a reservation from having an instrument waitlisted after one was removed (for 24 hours as an example) is a quick way for them to 'fix' this.
This will make the problem worse, not better. People on the waitlist won't be able to force an upgrade when R>0, but anyone who is not already on the waitlist will be able to upgrade immediately. How does this make any sense?

The only fair solution is to never open R if there are people on the waitlist. Until that is implemented, whenever I see R>0, I will call to remove and re-apply the upgrade because I don't want to be jumped by someone who is not even on the waitlist.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
No, it's not nonsense. The OP I replied to was trying to have their upgrade cleared out of order. The only way to protect the integrity of the upgrade order and allow United to process upgrades in the correct order is to fix the loophole. That obviously affects those who have waitlisted upgrades with wide-open cabins and less people on the waitlist than R has availability.

This thread is clearly about preserving the intent of the upgrade instrument and processing and we've all seen stories and proven that United's processes don't do that. So, it's not nonsense. There are better ways but clearly United isn't interested in fixing them so blocking a reservation from having an instrument waitlisted after one was removed (for 24 hours as an example) is a quick way for them to 'fix' this.
that isn’t a solution. You couldn’t even call that a Band-Aid. That would just make things even worse.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
The day UA policy changes such that it's impossible for me to tell whether or not I can clear a transoceanic upgrade in advance is the last day I care a whit about reaching 1K.
Even currently, I don't really care about making 1K, or even upgrades domestically, I just find myself flying UA internationally a lot because when I can apply a GPU or get an upgrade with miles at booking at least one way, it makes it the cheapest ticket. If I could not do that, I would just buy the cheapest business class. Of course, that might still be UA, but it might be BA or AF, where you can find upgrade availability online or using EF. Or I might still by on UA.com, but be more likely to fly LH or AC.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
Even currently, I don't really care about making 1K, or even upgrades domestically, I just find myself flying UA internationally a lot because when I can apply a GPU or get an upgrade with miles at booking at least one way, it makes it the cheapest ticket.
Sure. But that's the thing -- I have enough flexibility that I've never had to waitlist an instrument internationally. The suggestion was to make it so that I could see R9, book my flight... and find out there are 43 people on the waitlist and I need to enjoy my Y seat. If that's the case, I'm either (a) calling every single flight search in: "Can this one clear immediately?" or, more likely, (b) flying someone else.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

While not the intent of this thread recently I have now seen the opposite, that is, wide open F cabin and NO R space open even down to T24 (and no instruments clearing). This has been happening to me now in and out of the Hawaiian Islands where travel is now down. I have come to calling the 1K and asking what gives only to have them push my upgrade through. I don't understand UA stand on this especially with supported upgrades. Those seats are not selling, or certainly not all of them in 72hrs!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AustinPilot
How does this make any sense?
It doesn't.

The only palatable "fix" for the current situation would involve UA resolving the issues with its IT that prevent the waitlist from processing when R opens. Every other "solution" would just make things worse.

In the meantime, those who really care about upgrading are well advised to check their flights for R regularly.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Alaska also has this issue, but it's a little less maddening because you can't waitlist an instrument. That being said, people can and do queue jump inside the complimentary upgrade windows when U space opens and the CPU list fails to clear. Unlike at UA, the availability of U space is a direct indication that CPUs should be clearing.

AS also can't seem to get the issue fixed once and for all so it isn't surprising that UA cannot either. It seems to be a larger software issue that is epidemic to the industry. It may also happen at DL but it's just not visible since you can't get at the inventory figures readily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.