Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Upgrading on S fare with miles+money, two people on separate PNRs, MSP-XXX-FRA, neither of us have status.

Domestic MSP-XXX upgraded instantly, waitlisted for TATL. Flight is next week. I've been sporadically checking over past week (itinerary reserved last week, ticketed today) and observed fluctuation between R0 and R2. Today flight is showing

J9 JN7 C7 D7 Z4 ZN4 P3 PN0 R0 RN0

If I'm reading correctly we're looking for R>0, but since the IT system is sometimes tied up running Oregon Trail in the background, we might not be automatically upgraded even if it appears? If we try to undo, then redo, we'd incur award redeposit fees?

And if I'm reading the rules correctly, if the Polaris segment doesn't clear, we get miles and cash refunded- hence a domestic upgrade for free? (and UA misses out on the copay- Sad!)

Last group that traveled same route was quoted ~$850 for upgrade at checkin.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere

Last group that traveled same route was quoted ~$850 for upgrade at checkin.
Keep in mind that $850 is cheaper than your copay plus the value of your mileage award miles. So if you end up having to wait until a few hours before flight to get the u/g, while you won't have the security of having it in advance, you'll actually save some money. And yes, you should keep checking. When you saw R=2 you could have called and possibly snared it.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:14 am

Upgrading on S fare with miles+money, two people on separate PNRs, MSP-XXX-FRA, neither of us have status.

Domestic MSP-XXX upgraded instantly, waitlisted for TATL. Flight is next week.
Data point: flight right now showing:
J9 R7 RN7

and I'm still in coach on the flight, because IT.

Note: if I search MSP-XXX-FRA, the XXX-FRA segment shows R0... so it appears that there is some married segment impact?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:16 am

About the copay + miles being more, relatively, than the straight payup offered upon checkin- I did consider that, but I'm pretty miles-rich right now and don't mind dropping some UA on this trip. Plus the uncertainty factor- a late evening ex-Washington DC flight that could fill up fast with gov folks on last minute tix.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note: if I search MSP-XXX-FRA, the XXX-FRA segment shows R0... so it appears that there is some married segment impact?
No, there is not; it's just a display artifact and doesn't mean anything (thankfully, since domestic R space tends to be even more rare than longhaul R). Your flight should have cleared. I'd call to try to get it pushed through before somebody else snipes the space.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:15 am

Cool

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, there is not; it's just a display artifact and doesn't mean anything (thankfully, since domestic R space tends to be even more rare than longhaul R). Your flight should have cleared. I'd call to try to get it pushed through before somebody else snipes the space.
Roger- appreciate the nudge!, called, was initially routed to the wrong desk, then magically rerouted to "Premier" operator; I briefly explained what was going on and BAM upgrade confirmed! Icing on the cake is that call cut out just after I gave her my travel companion's PNR but both are upgraded.

See, United, that wasn't so hard, was it?!?!?
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roger- appreciate the nudge!, called, was initially routed to the wrong desk, then magically rerouted to "Premier" operator; I briefly explained what was going on and BAM upgrade confirmed! Icing on the cake is that call cut out just after I gave her my travel companion's PNR but both are upgraded.

See, United, that wasn't so hard, was it?!?!?
Good for you! Glad to see some agents still (or again) seem able to do the manual push.

I have had a call drop before the agent finished working on my request, but the agent did apparently complete it afterwards. I think as long as they know what you want, they can keep going to finish even if you're off the line.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yesterday I checked a load on a flight and found R=5 w/ my RPU or GPU request still waitlisted. Called and got the upgrade and saw R go to 4. This morning R was 0 with no more seats claimed. I'll never understand UA's thinking. Pays to watch waitlisted flights. Just sayin'...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I wasn't sure whether to post this in this thread (which should probably be re-titled ) or the thread about the fare class changes. Mods: Please feel free to move this post to the other thread if you feel that it's a better fit.

I received an email notification at 9:30AM Pacific Time that my GPU for LHR-LAX cleared. ^ This is the first time I ever remember receiving an advance clearance notification email at any time other than the middle of the night. In fact, I stared at my computer screen in utter disbelief, as I was so blindsided by this stroke of good fortune! I wonder if -- when United programmed the change from R to PZ -- they also programmed for dynamic waitlist clearance when PZ opens up? A girl can dream...
mikeyf, Kacee and Kannai like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SS255
I wasn't sure whether to post this in this thread (which should probably be re-titled ) or the thread about the fare class changes. Mods: Please feel free to move this post to the other thread if you feel that it's a better fit.

I received an email notification at 9:30AM Pacific Time that my GPU for LHR-LAX cleared. ^ This is the first time I ever remember receiving an advance clearance notification email at any time other than the middle of the night. In fact, I stared at my computer screen in utter disbelief, as I was so blindsided by this stroke of good fortune! I wonder if -- when United programmed the change from R to PZ -- they also programmed for dynamic waitlist clearance when PZ opens up? A girl can dream...
I received the same email on a RPU flight today at 8:30AM Central Time for a flight this Sunday.

More info: two of us on one PNR and I saw PZ1 at about 3pm yesterday with J4. I called and split the reservation and forced the upgrade for my companion. Then my RPU cleared this morning automatically, but not overnight as the norm.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I received the same email on a RPU flight today at 8:30AM Central Time for a flight this Sunday.
The more likely explanation is they've just changed the timing of sweeps. But we'll see how this plays out.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The more likely explanation is they've just changed the timing of sweeps. But we'll see how this plays out.
While not as desirable as dynamic clearance, more sweeps* definitely decreases the likelihood of people being able to jump the queue.

*Assuming they have added more sweeps, vs. just running sweeps once per day (er, night).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
While not as desirable as dynamic clearance, more sweeps* definitely decreases the likelihood of people being able to jump the queue.

*Assuming they have added more sweeps, vs. just running sweeps once per day (er, night).
I have a data point to add. I have an upgrade waitlisted for a flight in 4 weeks. I saw the flight was showing PZ1 in the morning Pacific time. Called 1k desk and tried to ask the agent to push the upgrade through. The agent played by the book and declined. I wanted to HUACA, but work got in the way (and then I just forgot about it). I got an email time stamped at 11pm Pacific time that evening saying that my upgrade was confirmed. Glad that no one jumped the queue even though the PZ1 was there for like 15 hours+ (probably got lucky because the flight is 4 weeks out)
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UALboy
Glad that no one jumped the queue even though the PZ1 was there for like 15 hours+ (probably got lucky because the flight is 4 weeks out)
UA was likely opening upgrade space one seat at a time to clear pax from the waitlist. That's often what's going on when you see PZ1 (previously R1).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Starting on October 11th, I've been getting these "upgrade" e-mails for instrument supported upgrades that are very unfortunately titled: "Waitlist Update for Confirmation xxxxxx" (where xxxxxx is the PNF) in HTML. Why "Waitlist Update"?

For "regular" CPU T-96 and later upgrades, I get the "Premier Upgrade Notification" e-mails as pure text files. Same e-mail address (United Airlines, Inc. <[email protected]>), different formats.

FWIW.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.