Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i check for R once a day, usually first thing in the morning because that is when it is convenient. i check more often inside T-7 days to departure.
Agree. R can open at any time of day, but it is most likely to open in the early morning hours (as Chavala noted above). If you check first thing in the morning, you'll catch it.

another thing to watch is what revenue bucket they are opening for the flights, and the PN bucket. a flight that is P9/PN0 is less of a good candidate for R opening than one that is say P9/PN3 or P9/PN9. if your flight is J9/P0, that's not such a good candidate for R to open. anything with J<9 the waitlist is probably going to only start clearing a couple of days before departure.
Yup. The very best indicator is when a flight goes P0 PN0 R0 to P9 PN0 R0 to P9 PN9 R0. You're very likely to see R within a day or two in that progression.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Check Saturday mornings ... this is when schedule changes load.
That has nothing to do with when inventory management opens R. Check only once a week and you are very likely to miss out on R.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
the agent has absolutely no idea what revenue management team is going to do, so i wouldn't put a lot of stock in their belief about R opening. DEN-NRT is regarded as sort of a difficult GPU upgrade relative to the other NRT flights.

in the rare cases when i fly UA revenue anymore with an instrument i check for R once a day, usually first thing in the morning because that is when it is convenient. i check more often inside T-7 days to departure.

another thing you can do if you have expert flyer is set an alert for I. pretty much anytime I is open, R is also open...but there are many, many times when R is wide open (R9) and I is 0. the I open strategy works best inside 5 days to departure.

another thing to watch is what revenue bucket they are opening for the flights, and the PN bucket. a flight that is P9/PN0 is less of a good candidate for R opening than one that is say P9/PN3 or P9/PN9. if your flight is J9/P0, that's not such a good candidate for R to open. anything with J<9 the waitlist is probably going to only start clearing a couple of days before departure.

as in all things YMMV.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Agree on the Saturday point - I have seen R open up then before. But this week, I cleared an upgrade on Wednesday or Thursday night...was quite strange to see R open up in the middle of the week. Snatched a couple of BF seats for a TATL trip next month
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree. R can open at any time of day, but it is most likely to open in the early morning hours (as Chavala noted above). If you check first thing in the morning, you'll catch it.

Yup. The very best indicator is when a flight goes P0 PN0 R0 to P9 PN0 R0 to P9 PN9 R0. You're very likely to see R within a day or two in that progression.

That has nothing to do with when inventory management opens R. Check only once a week and you are very likely to miss out on R.
Thanks everyone, based on all of the above, looks like R may not open up, I attached the codes (I will continue to keep an eye out though).

I do appreciate everyone's help. ^
Attached Images  
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by popoemt
Thanks everyone, based on all of the above, looks like R may not open up, I attached the codes (I will continue to keep an eye out though).

I do appreciate everyone's help. ^
Could be much worse. P9 is better than P0 by a long shot.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Check only once a week and you are very likely to miss out on R.
In my recent experience, this doesn't matter anymore. Upgrade waitlists are being processed as expected. I have stopped looking for R as the only benefit is to cut the line. Hopefully UA continues to make it difficult to find/see R when there is a waitlist to prevent line cutting. It should just work, and at least in my recent experience, it has been.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnden
In my recent experience, this doesn't matter anymore. Upgrade waitlists are being processed as expected. I have stopped looking for R as the only benefit is to cut the line. Hopefully UA continues to make it difficult to find/see R when there is a waitlist to prevent line cutting. It should just work, and at least in my recent experience, it has been.
If the waitlist was working correctly wouldn't line cutting, by definition, be a non issue?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:26 am

If the waitlist was working correctly wouldn't line cutting, by definition, be a non issue?
+1 !! If it's possible to line jump, the WL is not working correctly. Otherwise when R appeared, it would have been given to you, or someone else, before you see it.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by johnden
Yeah that's totally wrong.

I caught open R on a waitlisted GPU as recently as January on SFO-HKG. If you read the thread there are several more recent reports than that.

And btw, this is not about "cutting the line" - it's about (i) making sure others don't cut in front of you (if you're already waitlisted), and (ii) best practices for finding open R (if you're not waitlisted).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yes, flight # changes ... A319 to A320 ... there are plenty of reasons why after loading a schedule change Friday night suddenly R becomes available.
If you have a flight 40 weeks out you don't check every day ... unless you are desperate. I have had good success checking around 'schedule change time' which is often 3-5 months before departure on Saturday morning ... just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

yes, flight # changes ... A319 to A320 ...
You burn instruments on 319/320 routes? Seems like a waste.

In any event, I don't think they're going to fly a 319 or a 320 on DEN-NRT, which is the route OP was asking about
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes, flight # changes ... A319 to A320 ... there are plenty of reasons why after loading a schedule change Friday night suddenly R becomes available.
If you have a flight 40 weeks out you don't check every day ... unless you are desperate. I have had good success checking around 'schedule change time' which is often 3-5 months before departure on Saturday morning ... just my 2 cents.
if you are booking wayyy in advance i agree with you. checking around saturdays is a good bet if you are only gonna do it once a week.

You burn instruments on 319/320 routes? Seems like a waste.

In any event, I don't think they're going to fly a 319 or a 320 on DEN-NRT, which is the route OP was asking about

not sure if it is still the case but there used to be some quite long thin A320 routes very good for RPUs (eg, PHL-SFO and IAD-SMF -- the latter now a 738 mostly but was a 320 for the longest time)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
not sure if it is still the case but there used to be some quite long thin A320 routes very good for RPUs (eg, PHL-SFO and IAD-SMF -- the latter now a 738 mostly but was a 320 for the longest time)
There are 320s on IAD-SFO.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
There are 320s on IAD-SFO.
And SFO-BOS. It's a long flight, but I felt it was not a good RPU use. Now burn mine on Hawaii or ps (although the ps part is more historical given how hard the upgrades have become).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread for the help.

I decided to look outside this routing for R space since I was doing a look back on R space opening up on the DEN-NRT route and not seeing good evidence of it opening on the Saturday flight.

I saw a SFO-NRT (and IAH-NRT, ORD-NRT etc etc etc flights) hanging around on Friday but no R space. I checked again this morning and the SFO-NRT route had R1. I called United and switched the flight around and grabbed the R space (which is back to zero now).

I would never have accomplished any of this without all the advice here, thanks everyone!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Applied an RPU to waitlist an upgrade on a flight yesterday. Today morning noticed that the flight was R1; checked again about 5.5 hours later and the flight was still R1. Had some downtime, so phoned it in and pushed the upgrade through.

I also waitlisted an upgrade on the return portion and this does not inspire a lot of confidence.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Applied an RPU to waitlist an upgrade on a flight yesterday. Today morning noticed that the flight was R1; checked again about 5.5 hours later and the flight was still R1. Had some downtime, so phoned it in and pushed the upgrade through.

I also waitlisted an upgrade on the return portion and this does not inspire a lot of confidence.
You should have called as soon as you saw R>0 given the state of UA's IT. Aside from blind faith, there is no reason to believe that when it does get assigned that it will be to the right person.

And I am 100% confident that if someone would have bought a ticket and applied an upgrade in the interim you would have missed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.