Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Interesting, not aware of any such prior reports, the website does not suggest a limit but this would make some sense.

I see them scrolling over the seatmap
I can see them scrolling over the seat map until I apply plus points. Once I apply plus points that option disappears :-(
Old May 5, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Many folks will clear while PZ is zero. Best to do both.
With PlusPoints one has unlimited waitlisting, but you will only clear if you have enough PlusPoints. No downside to waitlisting (a little hard to see cash offers)
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
I can see them scrolling over the seat map until I apply plus points. Once I apply plus points that option disappears :-(
Same. Haven't been able to figure out how to view cash offers once Plus Points are applied.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you use the app or online (united.com) ? domestic or international?
Old May 5, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Same. Haven't been able to figure out how to view cash offers once Plus Points are applied.
I have a PNR applied under PP still waitlisted. Yet I can still see cash offer.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
I have a PNR applied under PP still waitlisted. Yet I can still see cash offer.
And somehow *, with the same, I can’t.

*somehow = magical, usual inconsistency of UA IT
Old May 5, 2022, 3:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
And somehow *, with the same, I can’t. ...
My successes have been online, domestic flights
Old May 5, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
And somehow *, with the same, I can’t.

*somehow = magical, usual inconsistency of UA IT

Waitlisted under PP.

Cash offer.

It is still a better offer than buying J directly.
Old May 5, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t get it in browser or in app over a small handful of reservations, but they are all intl or mixed intl/dom. I’m sure sometimes I have seen offers w +P applied sometimes but never thought about international vs domestic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I called in today about a XXX-YYY-ZZZ itinerary where I saw PZ space on both segments yet the PP upgrade didn't clear. After explaining the situation the agent cleared the upgrade for the 9hr YYY-ZZZ flight but refused to do so for 1hr XXX-YYY saying there was someone else ahead on the upgrade list for that one. That flight was showing PZ2 and they wouldn't budge, even when I suggested they upgrade both passengers who should have already cleared. I guess I may need to call back tomorrow if it doesn't clear overnight. There is still PZ space available and it's still nt cleared, some 12hrs later.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I called in today about a XXX-YYY-ZZZ itinerary where I saw PZ space on both segments yet the PP upgrade didn't clear. After explaining the situation the agent cleared the upgrade for the 9hr YYY-ZZZ flight but refused to do so for 1hr XXX-YYY saying there was someone else ahead on the upgrade list for that one. That flight was showing PZ2 and they wouldn't budge, even when I suggested they upgrade both passengers who should have already cleared. I guess I may need to call back tomorrow if it doesn't clear overnight. There is still PZ space available and it's still nt cleared, some 12hrs later.
Why didn't you simply cancel PP upgrade request and apply PP again?
Old May 6, 2022, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kb1992
Why didn't you simply cancel PP upgrade request and apply PP again?
In the past I've not had a problem getting agents to process upgrade requests that don't go through automatically. Plus, if you cancel and reapply and the space disappears in the interim, or there is some other IT anomaly, you g to the back of whatever line there is. This time it seems that the web site shows PZ2 for the XXX-YYY segment but UA reservations sees PZ0, so something is clearly wrong and I don't want to lose the upgrade on the longer flight to get the upgrade on the shorter one.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Xyzzy; May 6, 2022 at 7:13 am
Old May 6, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Are you use the app or online (united.com) ? domestic or international?
Mine is a simple domestic round trip. Applied PP on the only 2 eligible segments out of 4 (The other 2 are single-cabin).
No cash offer to be found, either via upgrade options, nor seat map, on the web site.

Trying the app, the "upgrade cabin" button yields "This reservation is not eligible to be upgraded".
The change seat function has all the front cabin seats grayed out.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Mine is a simple domestic round trip. Applied PP on the only 2 eligible segments out of 4 (The other 2 are single-cabin).
No cash offer to be found, either via upgrade options, nor seat map, on the web site.

Trying the app, the "upgrade cabin" button yields "This reservation is not eligible to be upgraded".
The change seat function has all the front cabin seats grayed out.
This is what I get for un-cleared domestic segment of dom/int'l trips.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
From my experience, once it’s under T-24, you can’t remove yourself from the waitlist and re-apply PP to clear when PZ>0. If you were unlikely to clear, you’d need to remove yourself from the list before T-24 or change to a different flight.

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Correction from my earlier post: you can’t remove yourself from waitlist if other segments in the same request for that direction of travel have already cleared.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2022 at 10:33 am Reason: poster issued a correction
Old May 10, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Clearly, I’m not sure their is any point in waitlisting PP or Mileage upgrades. You might be better off just watching PZ space and then applying the upgrade. In my case PZ1 has been available > 24 hours with no movement.
What's the thought process here? Are you suggesting that if someone were planning to try to upgrade using a combo of miles + copay, they may be better off not jumping onto the waitlist with miles + copay and, instead, just monitor to see if PZ comes available, at which time they could go to the United website/app, submit miles + copay, and have the upgrade instantly (w/o ever being on waitlist)?
SFOrunner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.