Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sannmann

Or just have the agent return your GPUs. After doing so, as the agent to apply GPUs to your flights...
Yes, I may have to do this tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Perhaps, I should wait for another day and call again if I am still waitlisted and there are still R2..
HUCA. I was waitlisted for an SFO-TPE flight in late December, and this morning it went to R2. I didn't want to risk waiting for the sweep. First two agents I called said there was nothing they could do, and I had to wait until the computer did the upgrade automatically. Third agent was more than happy to upgrade me - he couldn't figure out how to push the upgrade through on the current GPU, but he just removed it and reapplied it again. I guess it may have been an issue if other legs on that journey had already been upgraded, but it wasn't the case here.

Edit: Just realized that what the third agent did was essentially what sannmann suggested above! Had I read that first it would have saved me the first two phone calls!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
HUCA. I was waitlisted for an SFO-TPE flight in late December, and this morning it went to R2. I didn't want to risk waiting for the sweep. First two agents I called said there was nothing they could do, and I had to wait until the computer did the upgrade automatically. Third agent was more than happy to upgrade me - he couldn't figure out how to push the upgrade through on the current GPU, but he just removed it and reapplied it again. I guess it may have been an issue if other legs on that journey had already been upgraded, but it wasn't the case here.

Edit: Just realized that what the third agent did was essentially what sannmann suggested above! Had I read that first it would have saved me the first two phone calls!
I think you're better off just asking them to remove and refund GPU, then reapplying it yourself. There's at least one report of an agent balking at a request to reapply after quoting the apparent guidance that they can't push it through manually. It appears that your third agent simply didn't know about that no-manual-push update.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
I think you're better off just asking them to remove and refund GPU, then reapplying it yourself.
Agree. Asking for trouble the other way. The agent has just told you he/she can't help you skip the queue, and now you're asking him/her to do exactly that, just a different way.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:46 pm

R2 for SFO-HKG were gone this morning. I am still waitlisted. My open jaw fare (W outbound, G return) was ridiculously cheap. I am afraid that the system has flagged my reservation. If I pull the GPU and reapply it, I will find out whether or not my guess is true.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
R2 for SFO-HKG were gone this morning.
best not to sit on open R space, many others would be interested. Patience is rarely rewarded, best is to be persistent

My open jaw fare (W outbound, G return) was ridiculously cheap. I am afraid that the system has flagged my reservation. ..
very doubtful
Not clearing and R>0 does happen for many reasons and this has occurred over the years.

If I pull the GPU and reapply it, I will find out whether or not my guess is true.
Not sure why you would do this, it is more likely to hurt. Not sure how it will help but you will lose your early time request.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:02 pm

Thanks!

Add: upgrade just cleared without calling. Select 5A because row 1and 3 window seats are gone. The rear cabin is wide open.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 2, 2018 at 4:42 am Reason: Upgrade cleared
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I'm still waiting to see if the mile + copay upgrade run processes. Still "upgrade requested". Flight is 11 days out.

J9 JN9 C7 D6 Z5 ZN5 P5 PN5 R3 RN3 IN0 I0

The fare I'm trying to upgrade (single segment of a roundtrip) is L.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2018 at 4:36 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phltraveler
I'm still waiting to see if the mile + copay upgrade run processes.
I'd call. No sense waiting and letting yourself be jumped by somebody else who sees the open R space and pounces on it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2018 at 4:42 pm Reason: split post to move discussion
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd call. No sense waiting and letting yourself be jumped by somebody else who sees the open R space and pounces on it.
UA Phone rep said computer controls it and waitlist might not open until day of departure, despite the R/RN inventory at 3. Is that a HUACA situation?

Bearing in mind, this is a P.S. route (SFO -> EWR) via a miles + copay upgrade. Just for context, if that matters.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA Phone rep said computer controls it and waitlist might not open until day of departure, despite the R/RN inventory at 3. Is that a HUACA situation?...
Yes, this is a standard "I'm staying out of this answer"

If someone made a new request today (which you could) it would clear immediately. It is a long time flaw in the system
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

If someone made a new request today (which you could) it would clear immediately. It is a long time flaw in the system
Agree 100%. If you can't find a willing agent, ask to have the upgrade request withdrawn, then apply it again after the call.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Thanks for the thread move and reply.

So what would I be looking at - calling and asking them to pull my upgrade waitlist via miles + copay, and then once they do, just re-requesting it from United.com ?

Originally Posted by jsloan
Agree 100%. If you can't find a willing agent, ask to have the upgrade request withdrawn, then apply it again after the call.
Sounds like that's the answer. Appreciate it!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the thread move and reply.

So what would I be looking at - calling and asking them to pull my upgrade waitlist via miles + copay, and then once they do, just re-requesting it from United.com ?

Sounds like that's the answer. Appreciate it!
Exactly. No need to mention that you will immediately re-request, just say that you decided you wanted to cancel the upgrade request.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Does the trigger a redeposit fee under the new rules still? (I'm not sure)

I feel like I get better agents than many on FT, but I have never had any issues the dozen or so times I've called to get upgrades pushed into open R. I would HUCA to see if you can get it manually cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.