FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   94,000 Flexible Premier Miles ??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1375678-94-000-flexible-premier-miles.html)

platinumPizza Aug 9, 2012 4:07 pm

94,000 Flexible Premier Miles ???

What are my options and what is the best thing to do with these? The below are my options when I get asked to use them:

1 Transfer 25,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Silver status.
2 Transfer 50,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Gold status.
3 Transfer 75,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Platinum status.
4 Transfer Flexible Premier qualifying miles toward my 2012 Premier qualifying mileage balance.

My question are:

If I do this now would it expire at the end of the year or does it last for 12 months?

Thanks for your help!

1wfudeac Aug 9, 2012 4:12 pm

Based on what you posted it seems #1-3 would give you instant status and expire on 1/13. #4 would go to whatever your status will be at the end of 2012 (should also give you instant status) and that would expire 1/14. However, I am a UA guy so not 100% sure.

Do you currently have status?

platinumPizza Aug 9, 2012 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by 1wfudeac (Post 19091815)
Based on what you posted it seems #1-3 would give you instant status and expire on 1/13. #4 would go to whatever your status will be at the end of 2012 (should also give you instant status) and that would expire 1/14. However, I am a UA guy so not 100% sure.

Do you currently have status?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Currently I don't have status. Since Amex does not give me status anymore I travel Delta with status. I like flying United so I think I will be doing one of the options above.

manneca Aug 9, 2012 4:18 pm

Curious, how did you get 94k flexible premier miles?

platinumPizza Aug 9, 2012 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by manneca (Post 19091857)

Business Presidential Plus Chase Card. We used to use it for our business and thinking to switch back to it since it looks like its worth it.

keisari Aug 9, 2012 6:03 pm

Silver status is really not worth very much
Gold is better but really Plat is what you need if you have to have a realistic chance at upgrades, better availability of award and no change fees.

The real question is why do this if you don't fly UA.
Does this mean that you will be flying UA next year?

Originally Posted by manneca (Post 19091857)

spent close to 1/2 million $ on his credit card

davewang202 Aug 9, 2012 7:07 pm

http://milecards.com/182/continental...us-mastercard/

IIRC, UnitedContinental put in a rule that said that you can only use the Flex PQM's to get to Platinum status. I think that means you can only redeem 75,000 flex PQM, and you can't redeem 94000 PQM plus flying 6000 miles to get to 1K status.

I also think (but do not know for sure), that if you redeemed now, your status should be good for 2013. Those Flex PQM's should be no different from normal PQM's. e.g. if you earned 75K PQM's by flying today, you should receive status for remainder of 2012 as well as earned status for 2013.

platinumPizza Aug 9, 2012 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 19092405)
Silver status is really not worth very much
Gold is better but really Plat is what you need if you have to have a realistic chance at upgrades, better availability of award and no change fees.

The real question is why do this if you don't fly UA.
Does this mean that you will be flying UA next year?

I stopped flying due to not having status and instead used Delta and US Airways. If I have status I will switch my flying back to United. Since I use miles for almost all my flights I cant earn status.

Originally Posted by davewang202 (Post 19092711)
http://milecards.com/182/continental...us-mastercard/

IIRC, UnitedContinental put in a rule that said that you can only use the Flex PQM's to get to Platinum status. I think that means you can only redeem 75,000 flex PQM, and you can't redeem 94000 PQM plus flying 6000 miles to get to 1K status.

I also think (but do not know for sure), that if you redeemed now, your status should be good for 2013. Those Flex PQM's should be no different from normal PQM's. e.g. if you earned 75K PQM's by flying today, you should receive status for remainder of 2012 as well as earned status for 2013.

I just thought of this: So if I do this in January of next year will I have status the remaining of 2013 and 2014.... Or are they smarter than this lol

ichiroll Aug 10, 2012 9:40 am

Originally Posted by platinumPizza (Post 19095109)
I just thought of this: So if I do this in January of next year will I have status the remaining of 2013 and 2014.... Or are they smarter than this lol

pretty sure this will work.

davewang202 Aug 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by platinumPizza (Post 19095109)

Should work.

Xyzzy Aug 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by davewang202 (Post 19096860)
Should work.

It will work if the miles are credited to the 2:)13 program year.

tarheelnj Aug 11, 2012 5:44 am

Also, keep in mind that these Flex miles now expire after 3 years. Just something to keep in mind if you're going to keep earning new FPQM's at the same pace as you are now. And if you plan to fly UA only on reward tickets, remember that there is a requirement of 4 paid segments a year to earn Premier status. However, I don't know whether that applies in this situation, applying 75k FPQM's, for example, to earn Platinum status.

Steve M Aug 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by platinumPizza (Post 19091793)
What are my options and what is the best thing to do with these? The below are my options when I get asked to use them:

1 Transfer 25,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Silver status.
2 Transfer 50,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Gold status.
3 Transfer 75,000 Flexible Premier qualifying miles to reach MileagePlus Premier Platinum status.
4 Transfer Flexible Premier qualifying miles toward my 2012 Premier qualifying mileage balance.

I don't see the distinction between 4 and the other options. If you were to transfer 75,000 FPQMs today, you'd get Premier Platinum immediately, and it would be valid through the end of 1/2014 (not 2013). It would be no different than if you had somehow flown 75,000 miles today. IIRC, the option to apply FPQMs to the previous year's program exists only though the end of March each year.

Now that I think of it, doing an "every other year" transfer is not a bad plan. Let's say you earned 38,000 FPQMs each year. The smart thing to do would be to accumulate them and apply 75,000 of them every other February 1. This would mean you'd be Premier Platinum always, even though you earned only half that rate per year.

Weez_1000 Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am

This all assumes they don't change the rules next year.

platinumPizza Aug 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 19104182)
I don't see the distinction between 4 and the other options. If you were to transfer 75,000 FPQMs today, you'd get Premier Platinum immediately, and it would be valid through the end of 1/2014 (not 2013). It would be no different than if you had somehow flown 75,000 miles today. IIRC, the option to apply FPQMs to the previous year's program exists only though the end of March each year.

Now that I think of it, doing an "every other year" transfer is not a bad plan. Let's say you earned 38,000 FPQMs each year. The smart thing to do would be to accumulate them and apply 75,000 of them every other February 1. This would mean you'd be Premier Platinum always, even though you earned only half that rate per year.

Thanks for the very helpful tip! Why do you recommend doing it in February as opposed to know?