Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With 12 on the list, bowling ball gets the open FC seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond

Last night (8-8), UA 6280 (CRJ700, AUS-DEN) with 12 folks on the upgrade list the FAs strap a rather large bowling ball in a bag into seat 2C. I mentioned to the FAs that there were 12 on the upgrade list and to maybe mention this to the GA (we elites have to watch out for each other), and they said that the GA didn't say anything about the empty FC seat or about moving someone up.

If I had been in the back and seen a bowling ball in a FC seat, I would have been miffed.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
An over-entitled bowling ball!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Couldn't the bowling ball have had a paid seat though?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
A pic or it didn't happen.
Also easier to prove when you complain.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:11 pm

Maybe the bowling ball was part of the c-suite traveling on company business.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by SFO777
A pic or it didn't happen.
Also easier to prove when you complain.
Agreed....I need to see a picture of that!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Talking

I'm glad it chose the aisle seat. I really hate it when bowling balls choose the window seat, and then have to roll over my toes on their way to the lav.

It's interesting, though, that the FA was strapping it in. Suggests it did not have a human companion. Wonder what the UA "unaccompanied bowling ball" fee is.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maize&blue
Couldn't the bowling ball have had a paid seat though?
Nope...saw the guy carry it on as he went back to Y. FC had been full most of the day...there was a no show. Seems an awful lot of folks disregard the GAs' admonitions about limited overhead space on the 700s and head onboard with oversized bags (and bowling balls, apparently) that have to be dealt with by the FAs.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Reminds me of when the pardoned turkey's got their upgrade a few years ago... http://twitpic.com/qwjnp
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Nope...saw the guy carry it on as he went back to Y. FC had been full most of the day...there was a no show. Seems an awful lot of folks disregard the GAs' admonitions about limited overhead space on the 700s and head onboard with oversized bags (and bowling balls, apparently) that have to be dealt with by the FAs.
I'd like to know how they were able to secure it with a seat belt. There is no way that could have been safe for the passengers around it.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
I'd like to know how they were able to secure it with a seat belt. There is no way that could have been safe for the passengers around it.
+1, is it even possible to bring a bowling ball pass the TSA?
Bowling Ball can be used as a weapon, no?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I'm glad this didn't happen to me. With my recent luck, even had I cleared into F, the bowling ball would have eaten my preferred meal.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DianeDakota
Thought did cross my mind. It was in a bag, and the seatbelt was threaded through the bag's handle.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Maybe the bowling ball was part of the c-suite traveling on company business.
The bowling ball is the new VP of customer relations.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: VAG
Last night (8-8), UA 6280 (CRJ700, AUS-DEN) with 12 folks on the upgrade list the FAs strap a rather large bowling ball in a bag into seat 2C. I mentioned to the FAs that there were 12 on the upgrade list and to maybe mention this to the GA (we elites have to watch out for each other), and they said that the GA didn't say anything about the empty FC seat or about moving someone up.

If I had been in the back and seen a bowling ball in a FC seat, I would have been miffed.
I thought bowling balls were a standard size. Are you sure it wasn't a fat person?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.