Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With 12 on the list, bowling ball gets the open FC seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With 12 on the list, bowling ball gets the open FC seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I would have been super pissed if there was a waiting list of 12 & the bowling ball of a guy in Y got the lone FC seat. They should have gate-checked the bowling ball. I also would have been po'd at the FA for not checking w/ the GA when it was brought to her attention there was a wait list for the F seat. It's an RJ for crikey's sake; it wouldn't have delayed the flight to swap out the ball for a human.

Cheers.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
+1, is it even possible to bring a bowling ball pass the TSA?
Bowling Ball can be used as a weapon, no?
Bowling balls are explicitly listed as prohibited I believe.

How does the OP know that it was a bowling ball? It might have been a bowling ball bag with heavens-knows-what in the bag (maybe the cremated remains of grandma?). Though of course that would still be a strange scenario.

I would like to know the rest of the story. . .

Last edited by mecabq; Aug 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Can't....stop.....laughing. these comments are definitely the funniest thing i've read all week.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
+1, is it even possible to bring a bowling ball pass the TSA?
Bowling Ball can be used as a weapon, no?
I guess anything could be used as a weapon but the airplane could turn it into a flying missile with a little turbulence. Maybe they duct taped it to the seat

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Thought did cross my mind. It was in a bag, and the seatbelt was threaded through the bag's handle.
Okay, I had visions of this ball all on it's own
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My bowling ball is a GS.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by Often1
My bowling ball is a GS.
Winning.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by mecabq
Bowling balls are explicitly listed as prohibited I believe.

How does the OP know that it was a bowling ball? It might have been a bowling ball bag with heavens-knows-what in the bag (maybe the cremated remains of grandma?). Though of course that would still be a strange scenario.

I would like to know the rest of the story. . .
Actually bowling balls are allowed onboard. So are pigs and monkeys if it is a service animal. I remember the pig that flew first class on NW...not personally as I did not meet the pig but remember the bruhaha over it. I imagine those 1st class passengers were not too happy about their seat mate.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Last night (8-8), UA 6280 (CRJ700, AUS-DEN) with 12 folks on the upgrade list the FAs strap a rather large bowling ball in a bag into seat 2C. I mentioned to the FAs that there were 12 on the upgrade list and to maybe mention this to the GA (we elites have to watch out for each other), and they said that the GA didn't say anything about the empty FC seat or about moving someone up.

If I had been in the back and seen a bowling ball in a FC seat, I would have been miffed.
So if no one is sitting beside me can I strap my carryon into that seat?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
I only let my bowling ball sit in a middle seat in E-. It is an undeserving ball.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:26 pm

I would rather sit next to a bowling ball than most of you FT smart a**es!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: US Silver, Marriott Rewards Gold, AmEx Platinum
Can a Curling Stone get the same perk?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by SFO777
A pic or it didn't happen.
Also easier to prove when you complain.
Originally Posted by shortkidd
Agreed....I need to see a picture of that!
Per Hemispheres, United has a policy against photographing bowling balls during an active flight. If you send CS a pic, it might discredit your complaint.

United may be ranked last in several metrics right now, but they're tops in elite bowling ball treatment.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Don't flame the bowling ball. It's a fellow FTer and was #1 on the upgrade list... no hating. Hopefully a trip report is forthcoming
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Last night (8-8), UA 6280 (CRJ700, AUS-DEN) with 12 folks on the upgrade list the FAs strap a rather large bowling ball in a bag into seat 2C. I mentioned to the FAs that there were 12 on the upgrade list and to maybe mention this to the GA (we elites have to watch out for each other), and they said that the GA didn't say anything about the empty FC seat or about moving someone up.

If I had been in the back and seen a bowling ball in a FC seat, I would have been miffed.
Oh Spare Me!!!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National Exec.
Originally Posted by thumbun
Oh Spare Me!!!
Of course. Strikes are for pilots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.