Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LGA United Club (Former President's Club) at Concourse A is now an Air Canada MLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA United Club (Former President's Club) at Concourse A is now an Air Canada MLL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Good riddance. I stopped in there to use the bathroom once and ended up wishing I'd used the one in the terminal!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Good riddance. I stopped in there to use the bathroom once and ended up wishing I'd used the one in the terminal!
The one time I went there, I completely missed the entrance and was trying to get in the door across the hall. A minute later (after walking down the hallway a little bit) realized I had missed it and made my way in.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Once UA reconfigures the PS fleet to 2 class there will be no need for a GF lounge at JFK any longer. I doubt it will survive beyond 2013..if that long. But the Club at LGA??? I don't see how LGA can have no UA lounge..that would be stupid. Perhaps they're moving it somewhere else.
Is anything surprising coming from the top anymore?! It's like Smisek was brought in to bankrupt and shutter two airlines on behalf of the competition.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Between this and cutting capacity by shifting four mainline to UX daily to/from ORD, seems like they're going down the path of marginalizing LGA. Not surprising when they can't force their EWR fortress price gouging there. Too bad.
They're consolidating from two clubs to one. They are expanding the one. This is not marginalization of the LGA facility at all.

There is no value in keeping both clubs open. There is great value in renovating the one club, expanding it into the secure area and (hopefully) consolidated gate areas.

Last edited by sbm12; Aug 9, 2012 at 6:08 am
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
They're consolidating from two clubs to one. They are expanding the one. This is not marginalization of the LGA facility at all.

There is no value in keeping both clubs open. There is great value in renovating the one club, expanding it into the secure area and (hopefully) consolidated gate areas.
I didn't say "marginalizing the LGA facility", I said "marginalizing LGA", i.e., the broader implications of cutting capacity and trying to feed traffic to the higher priced airport across the river.

Plans sound great - I'll believe it when I see the shovel hit.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
No surprise here. The two LGA clubs are possibly the most redundant locations in the system. The plans for an expanded C club and post-security entrance are great too, although I will miss the 'back door' to the former RCC which is very easily accessible when arriving from the parking garage.

Rumor has it that Air Canada is looking at the soon-to-be-former UC (nee RCC) at EWR Terminal A too. The LGA rumblings seem to have more legs considering the larger AC operation there, but according to a friend the vast majority of visits to the A-1 UC are Air Canada customers. The possibility of two new NYC-area MLLs is very intriguing!

Last edited by EWR764; Aug 9, 2012 at 6:56 am
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Place is a dump, glad to see it go. Former RCC is better in every way.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12

So do we know timing on this? Is it going to be part of the massive Central Terminal Building renovation which is slated to begin in 2014, or will it be an independent near-term project? The CTB reno is like a $4+ billion deal.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I didn't say "marginalizing the LGA facility", I said "marginalizing LGA", i.e., the broader implications of cutting capacity and trying to feed traffic to the higher priced airport across the river.

Plans sound great - I'll believe it when I see the shovel hit.
Why the automatic link between reducing capacity and trying to feed traffic to EWR? LGA is a spoke airport for UA anyway with the bulk of its flights to ORD. I would see a reduction being more related to demand on this particular route than any sly plan being underway. I haven't seen a corresponding increase in capacity out of EWR, have you?

Agreed on it making sense to consolidate to one lounge by the way.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by star_world
Why the automatic link between reducing capacity and trying to feed traffic to EWR? LGA is a spoke airport for UA anyway with the bulk of its flights to ORD. I would see a reduction being more related to demand on this particular route than any sly plan being underway. I haven't seen a corresponding increase in capacity out of EWR, have you?
I don't see how there's not a link - the airports are fair substitutes for millions of NYC-area residents who aren't locked into one airport or another. EWR is far more profitable for UA than LGA.

You don't have to increase EWR seats for the proportion of UA seats to/from NYC to shift to EWR. UA can't charge its monopolistic 3-day pricing ex-LGA, so of course they want to winnow that capacity as much as possible.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
The A UC is now a MLL

Parked in the deck as usual and was shocked to see the lounge near the garage is now a MLL. So I trudged to the C lounge and enjoyed the non-existent wireless (c'mon guys, fix it), no cheese in the bin, and icebox temperature (sometimes you need to turn the heat on). AND two of the 3 gerbil feeders have candy in them; one has cheese crackers but not the usual nice mix of stuff.

Sigh. What's the point of being a UC member?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
MLL is a good thing. Much better drink selection, salad, chips and soup.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Parked in the deck as usual and was shocked to see the lounge near the garage is now a MLL. So I trudged to the C lounge and enjoyed the non-existent wireless (c'mon guys, fix it), no cheese in the bin, and icebox temperature (sometimes you need to turn the heat on). AND two of the 3 gerbil feeders have candy in them; one has cheese crackers but not the usual nice mix of stuff.

Sigh. What's the point of being a UC member?
I wonder how much updating the crazy Canucks have done... Do the phones still list 'Eastern Reservation Desk'?? ;-)

No loss here, at all. The former RCC remained and that's a good thing. I'm a pmCO customer and freely admit the LGA RCC is by far the better of the two ... And honestly, probably has the friendliest staff I've met in the entire UC system!!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... And honestly, probably has the friendliest staff I've met in the entire UC system!!
Except when I was told by a bartender that Dewers wasn't complimentary (and had to get a dragon to confirm). I think the bar tender just didn't understand or speak very good (read: any) English.

Can't wait to stop by the new MLL and try it out in a few weeks!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I wonder how much updating the crazy Canucks have done... Do the phones still list 'Eastern Reservation Desk'?? ;-)
Not much renovation yet; they will be doing more work on it in the coming months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.