Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UACO July consolidated traffic data

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Does the comparable PRASM number adjust for things such as adding or removing E+?

All else equal:
More E+ = Less Available Seats
Less Available Seats = Lower Denominator
Lower Denominator = Higher PRASM
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
True. I'm a "captive hub flyer" out of SFO, so my equation is based on mainly direct flights. If I were willing to switch, I'd be with AA already, without a doubt.
Are your sure you're such a captive? I don't want to violate rules by repeating my post citing the advantages and compensating features of AA out of SFO, in this AA forum thread you started:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...age-miles.html

But I do wonder whether those compensating AA features really might make up for the disadvantages of UA, not least the lousy UA IRROPS, frequent delays, lousy customer service and SHARES.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by demkr
It's definitely interesting that the naysayers seem to have nothing to "add" to these facts to tell us how Smisek is doing a great job and that a 64% on-time rate AFTER they claimed to have "figured out the problem" in June is great
Similar to TODs no longer being denied after the avalanche of evidence showing they do exist
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by av8r316
Does the comparable PRASM number adjust for things such as adding or removing E+?

All else equal:
More E+ = Less Available Seats
Less Available Seats = Lower Denominator
Lower Denominator = Higher PRASM
That's what should be happening, but the exact opposite is happening...think what the numbers would look like if they hadn't been ripping out Y seats on the PMCO planes...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
As a shareholder when do you start noticing the trend and start asking for new leadership at UA?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by soccerguy985
As a shareholder when do you start noticing the trend and start asking for new leadership at UA?
At least a few more quarters. Nothing will happen until a consistent trend of underperformance is established.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
Believe me I follow all those threads with great interest. United has been a huge part of my life and I feel that I have a big stake (2.4 million lifetime miles and 2.3 million miles in my account) in its success or failure. I do not wish my hometown airline ill however I wish the HouCrew would go away and leave my beloved United alone.
Amen.

It's extremely scary if the BOD doesn't realize and reverse the mistake in giving the helm of a Major League Airline to a Little League team, then we will all be in some trouble.

But when the Judicial, Legislative, and Executive branches are all ran by the same guy, I doubt anything will change soon.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
What were DL's numbers compared to the rest of the industry in the first 3-4 quarters after the NW acquisition? Or same for US/America West? Can anyone provide a link? These are terrible on their face, but I'd like to compare to the past few largeish mergers.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CLEguy
What were DL's numbers compared to the rest of the industry in the first 3-4 quarters after the NW acquisition?
The Delta financial transaction was completed 10/28/2008, and the res/flight systems combined 1/31/2010.

DOT Air Travel Consumer Reports have plenty of comparison data: on-time, IDB, mishandled bag rates, etc.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/atcr10.htm
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
[QUOTE=Brasila;19083640]I cannot see how they can turn it around. They have created so much bad will with UA Elites and I am doing the unthinkable and flying other airlines. Their CSR's do not have the skills or equipment to be efficient, boarding processes are a scrum, customers continually have to monitor their accounts for schedule changes, flights are over-priced, the list goes on.....

+1 Once you crap your nest(UA), it's hard to ever get it clean again!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
You have to look at this for how bad it is:

1. Your largest competitor (DL) had a 4% jump in PRASM while you are flat.

2. The bankrupt competitor that declared war on you by targeting your elites posted the largest jump in PRASM...while they are struggling through bankruptcy. In the past three months I have personally moved over $20K from UA to AA...including three TATL flights up front.

3. An airline that allegedly has a worse reputation historically than your (US) even posted a boost in PRASM.

If this does not get the attention of SMI/J and his cronies on Wacker Drive I do not know what will. This is just a disaster for UA. It's a shame they brought it on themselves.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:02 pm

I'm not so much alarmed or upset by those figures as I am by the flat PRASM numbers in a peak travel month like July. They seem to indicate that high revenue flyers may indeed be deserting United. We'll see if this is just a blip in the radar or evidence of a larger trend as more info comes in over time.
Flat PRASM makes me very happy! That's the only metric that will force Smisek to abandon his anti-customer crusade.

Believe me I follow all those threads with great interest. United has been a huge part of my life and I feel that I have a big stake (2.4 million lifetime miles and 2.3 million miles in my account) in its success or failure. I do not wish my hometown airline ill however I wish the HouCrew would go away and leave my beloved United alone.
+1

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Are your sure you're such a captive? I don't want to violate rules by repeating my post citing the advantages and compensating features of AA out of SFO, in this AA forum thread you started:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...age-miles.html

But I do wonder whether those compensating AA features really might make up for the disadvantages of UA, not least the lousy UA IRROPS, frequent delays, lousy customer service and SHARES.
I have studied a lot of compensating ideas in favor of AA out of SFO. For me, I've concluded that I am captive because I simply don't want to change planes to get anywhere from here. In my calculations, the downside of an unnecessary connection ... almost all the time ... has a heavy weight.

I respect that others put different weights on each variable in the equation.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I have studied a lot of compensating ideas in favor of AA out of SFO. For me, I've concluded that I am captive because I simply don't want to change planes to get anywhere from here. In my calculations, the downside of an unnecessary connection ... almost all the time ... has a heavy weight.

I respect that others put different weights on each variable in the equation.
Have you determined at what point things tilt away from United for you? If ontime performance drops to 50% will that make you reconsider? Or are you willing to stay with United no matter what since you can fly nonstop? Just curious.

I'm a huge fan of the best schedule winning out. Its why I fly WN frequently if I have to go up and down the west coast.

Lastly, have you thought about getting 50k status on 2 carriers? Seems to me like top tier means less on United than in the past. I don't have enough experience with AA to know if EXP is far superior to PLT. But its another thing to consider.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

Reference the thread about the mass exodus of top tier elites from UA to AA this summer and the thread about the amount of money people just spent on tickets at other airlines. Two big threads about a mass exodus and now the numbers are starting to show that some people who post on FT might actually be telling the truth Joking aside...people can write whatever they want on the boards about leaving for another airline or sending $10K worth of tickets to AA or DL but only the numbers can prove them right. The numbers seem to be leaning that way right now.

-RM
Yes, if the trend continues, "the chickens will continue to come home to roost" as the saying goes.

Smisek's policies are unusual and they took most of us by surprise (trashing elites and demoting the frequent flier program). This caused many elites to abandon UA after many years of loyalty.

There is no question that AA's July traffic increased as a result of the UA status match and AA's charming away customers that normally would have been UA passengers.

AA should thank Smisek profusely for his poor decisions. I suspect AA is very thankful.
-
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
AA should thank Smisek profusely for his poor decisions. I suspect AA is very thankful.
-
To take it a step further - AA is beyond fortuitous that they're going through BK just at the time when a key competitor is doing everything in its power to actively cast off its most profitable and loyal customers. Voila! Instant bump to its PRASM growth. They're probably thanking their lucky stars.

Horton should send $misek weekly Delightful Deliveries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.