5 fascinating facts about the new UA

Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by SunLover
1) For me the “flat tire” rule is the most useful information presented here
First I've ever heard of it. I wonder what other airlines have the "flat tire" rule?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Very helpful article. On some level it is reassuring that United is taking some of these customer service items seriously but they were focused on the emergency ops center not the airport staff.

I found the "flat tire" rule VERY helpful. I believe I experienced this once when I got stuck in awful traffic going from the OC to LAX. It was the last flight out that I missed so they put me on the first flight the next morning.

I also like how they "grade" aircraft. It certainly does explain why some of my flights are more delayed than others....
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by teramiles
I'll comment on what's fascinating.....that any of these ya-hoos actually feel they're making a difference. C'mon, this airline is now tier 3 no matter how fancy the digs.
Tier 3... Good grief, you really haven't flown a poor airline have you? Toliets leaking blue stuff and held together by duct tape, sandwiches litterally as dried out as rock, check-in agents who openly use obsenities, overhead bins which won't latch, pilot pinching FA body on a coffee break, smoking flight attendents on non-smoking filghts...

I think, my friend, you need to spend some time in the third world.

UA, second tier maybe, but not third tier.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Frankly, I find it unfortunate that E+ seating was not eliminated. (Had UA done away with it, the other airlines would not have started to change their seating.) The day UA brought it out, I thought it stupid. Couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for it
As a flyer who is over 6 feet tall, I'm very glad UA didn't agree with your assessment.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This article actually confirm that the real situation is COdbaUA - SMI/J wants to axe everything from PMUA, including E+.

Anyhow - I found this interesting because I can never imagine that our presence on a flight can help the flight get out faster.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Yup, only that publishing it will it cause it to be abused and stopped completely.
Given the loads on most flight now days, relying on the flat tire rule to get you onto a later flight is in most cases insanity. It's still a good backup in case you really do get a "flat tire", but given the improvements made to same-day changes (even with the corresponding fee) it's a much better option than rolling the dice by "abusing" the flat tire rule.

Frankly, I find it unfortunate that E+ seating was not eliminated. (Had UA done away with it, the other airlines would not have started to change their seating.) The day UA brought it out, I thought it stupid. Couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for it
Exactly! Personally I can't understand why people would spend $$$ on C and F - especially international - so I think it's stupid that they don't kill off those cabins too!!!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:57 am

It seems like the CO grading system is a lot different from the UA system. With UA, I never once had a delayed international flight. While part of that is good luck, I always believed they gave higher priority to those as well, because the perfect on time rate could not be explained by luck alone. Now, under CO, international delays and cancellations are horrific. For example, SFO to FRA has a 50% on time rating on Expert Flyer. Makes me wonder if they now give higher priority to domestic short hops. That matches with the overall hostility towards frequent flyers since we fly more long haul than the kettles who they are focused on attracting.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Aug 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Frankly, I find it unfortunate that E+ seating was not eliminated. (Had UA done away with it, the other airlines would not have started to change their seating.) The day UA brought it out, I thought it stupid. Couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for it and for years E+ seats were empty until they started to get filled by FF elites and systemwide capacity was cut. Unfotunately, I think E+ helps to foster an attitude by FF elites that they are in fact better than those in other seats. Over entitlement!
Seriously? You couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for extra legroom on a US carrier's Y product?

Thanks for the laugh - that was one of the funnier comments I've seen in the UA thread (which is saying a lot)!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Seriously? You couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for extra legroom on a US carrier's Y product?

Thanks for the laugh - that was one of the funnier comments I've seen in the UA thread (which is saying a lot)!
Yes, seriously. Its one reason that I flew CO before the merger rather than UA. Whenever I flew UA, I'd feel funny having so much space for my knees.

I suppose a person with longer legs than I might pay extra money; but as a rule I disdain giving airlines revenue. I think if the airlines simply stopped seats from reclining it would help a great deal. May also save save some $$ in purchasing seats.

Originally Posted by docbert
Given the loads on most flight now days, relying on the flat tire rule to get you onto a later flight is in most cases insanity. It's still a good backup in case you really do get a "flat tire", but given the improvements made to same-day changes (even with the corresponding fee) it's a much better option than rolling the dice by "abusing" the flat tire rule.

Exactly! Personally I can't understand why people would spend $$$ on C and F - especially international - so I think it's stupid that they don't kill off those cabins too!!!
Obviously the airlines have found, like P.T. Barnum, that there is a sucker born every minute. There are so many better things to spend money on than tickets to fly up front. Sure, if it is free, but to pay for it: never!

Originally Posted by mitchmu
It seems like the CO grading system is a lot different from the UA system. With UA, I never once had a delayed international flight. While part of that is good luck, I always believed they gave higher priority to those as well, because the perfect on time rate could not be explained by luck alone. Now, under CO, international delays and cancellations are horrific. For example, SFO to FRA has a 50% on time rating on Expert Flyer. Makes me wonder if they now give higher priority to domestic short hops. That matches with the overall hostility towards frequent flyers since we fly more long haul than the kettles who they are focused on attracting.
Premerger, I never had a late or cancelled CO flight - except weather related (volcano, anyone?). Clearly UA is having their share of problems these days. Everyday there are cancellations, but I would be interested to see the statistics as % of flights scheduled rather than raw number of flights cancelled.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm Reason: 3X Multi-quote combo
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:53 pm

Premerger, I never had a late or cancelled CO flight - except weather related (volcano, anyone?). Clearly UA is having their share of problems these days. Everyday there are cancellations, but I would be interested to see the statistics as % of flights scheduled rather than raw number of flights cancelled.
Flightstats has that. I posted several examples in the cancellations are insane thread. As a percentage of total flights UA is worse than DL or AA by a wide margin.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Yes, seriously. Its one reason that I flew CO before the merger rather than UA. Whenever I flew UA, I'd feel funny having so much space for my knees.

I suppose a person with longer legs than I might pay extra money; but as a rule I disdain giving airlines revenue. I think if the airlines simply stopped seats from reclining it would help a great deal. May also save save some $$ in purchasing seats.
Jeff, is that you?

But seriously, I find E+ to be worth every penny. I'm only 5'7" but I think it makes a huge difference, especially on international flights. I'll gladly take UA over LH in Y if only for E+.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Originally Posted by Michael El
First I've ever heard of it. I wonder what other airlines have the "flat tire" rule?
WN if I recall correcty.

This article actually confirm that the real situation is COdbaUA - SMI/J wants to axe everything from PMUA, including E+.
Doesn't the article say that pmUA thought about ditching E+?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Except it was already widely known long before this article.

Frankly, I find it unfortunate that E+ seating was not eliminated. (Had UA done away with it, the other airlines would not have started to change their seating.) The day UA brought it out, I thought it stupid. Couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for it and for years E+ seats were empty until they started to get filled by FF elites and systemwide capacity was cut. Unfotunately, I think E+ helps to foster an attitude by FF elites that they are in fact better than those in other seats. Over entitlement!
How tall are you and do you use a computer when you fly? Economy plus is one of the biggest reasons I continue to fly United.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by colmc
Doesn't the article say that pmUA thought about ditching E+?
Yes -- before the merger, PMUA was going to ditch E+.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by edcho
Yes -- before the merger, PMUA was going to ditch E+.
In one way I am glad they didn't, since I am 6' 3" and those extra inches make all the difference.

On the other hand, it would make leaving UA for someone else a lot easier....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.