Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Last minute flights = zero chance of upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last minute flights = zero chance of upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
OP - which route do you fly?

I have a Premier Gold friend who always uses my miles for last-minute travel. In most of the case, he was cleared CPU for everything except ex-DEN.
Not to go off topic, but clears when using miles? How does that work? I thought you couldn't upgrade when flying on an award ticket. Is it some credit card thing which also transfers? Also, if they are using your miles, the ticket is typically tagged with your status, not your friends.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by paulyras
Not to go off topic, but clears when using miles? How does that work? I thought you couldn't upgrade when flying on an award ticket. Is it some credit card thing which also transfers? Also, if they are using your miles, the ticket is typically tagged with your status, not your friends.
Thanks to SHARES, status is inherited on award tickets. It also includes the "has the credit card" marker for purposes of upgrades.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
wait, one sec. if you're buying a YBM fare, shouldn't you be allowed to upgrade instantly on the webpage as long as there's inventory even if you're within t-72?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
wait, one sec. if you're buying a YBM fare, shouldn't you be allowed to upgrade instantly on the webpage as long as there's inventory even if you're within t-72?
+1 - Exactly. OP says he's buying "expensive" tickets, but doesn't list the fare buckets. If they are Y/B (M doesn't apply to OP because he's not 1K), he's eligible for space-avail. instant UG at time of purchase and, if no space avail., moves to the top of the queue ahead of all CPU's except GS.

UA does a great job of prioritizing high fare-payers over deep discounters with lots of miles/segments. If OP isn't being UG, he's being beat by GS because there are almost always a couple of F seats held to the gate unless they are sold. If those seats are sold, OP has no beef.

His concern may well be met by the trend to holding more UG's to the gate and sorting it all out there.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Exactly. OP says he's buying "expensive" tickets, but doesn't list the fare buckets. If they are Y/B (M doesn't apply to OP because he's not 1K), he's eligible for space-avail. instant UG at time of purchase and, if no space avail., moves to the top of the queue ahead of all CPU's except GS.

UA does a great job of prioritizing high fare-payers over deep discounters with lots of miles/segments. If OP isn't being UG, he's being beat by GS because there are almost always a couple of F seats held to the gate unless they are sold. If those seats are sold, OP has no beef.

His concern may well be met by the trend to holding more UG's to the gate and sorting it all out there.
could also be the website issue that a lot of PMUA flyers just aren't aware of and isn't super publicized by the new UA where you have to manually log into united.com and click the "upgrade" button on your reservation. not sure if it's that, but seems not a lot of people are aware of it still and that the YB(M) "instant upgrade" just essentially means it's instantly available, but not instantly processed. :shrug:
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:48 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
"Good" is all relative when they're offering dirt cheap P fares on routes that cause the domestic F cabin to fill up a week+ in advance. So they're not going to get close-in A/F fares, and may lose people connecting to an int'l flight in C/F.
Meh, if most of the time [I'd bet 80%+ of the time] there is/are 1-2+ F seat when they finally process the last upgrade or two, then they are doing it right and they are not losing potential revenue from full fare customers.

FWIW, only one out of six flights on my itinerary has a P fare inventory filed. Nope, there was no P on those flights when I bought it. Only PN for BM-UPs.

Unless, the OP is on a Y fare, chances are he is being beat out by GSes often is pretty high.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Meh, if most of the time [I'd bet 80%+ of the time] there is/are 1-2+ F seat when they finally process the last upgrade or two, then they are doing it right and they are not losing potential revenue from full fare customers.

FWIW, only one out of six flights on my itinerary has a P fare inventory filed. Nope, there was no P on those flights when I bought it. Only PN for BM-UPs.

Unless, the OP is on a Y fare, chances are he is being beat out by GSes often is pretty high.
A GS on any CPU-eligible fare will beat OP on any fare, including an -UP fare, unless OP booked prior to the window. Once you're at the gate on a GS-heavy route, there's nothing to be done (or complained about). Having heard the loud shrieks of GS at the gate on my two most recent TCON's xIAD and the GA's retort that there were 21 and 15 GS who would wind up in Y, that may be the issue here too.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:02 am

A GS on any CPU-eligible fare will beat OP on any fare, including an -UP fare, unless OP booked prior to the window. Once you're at the gate on a GS-heavy route, there's nothing to be done (or complained about). Having heard the loud shrieks of GS at the gate on my two most recent TCON's xIAD and the GA's retort that there were 21 and 15 GS who would wind up in Y, that may be the issue here too.
Right, at the gate only.

However, on a Y fare, you do not have to wait until the gate and the OP can easily trump any GS if he manually pushes the upgrade through via his reservation if there is JN inventory [which is pretty much given if there is F space].

I think elites on full Y fares [non-discounted or excessively discounted corp/gov't Y fares] should trump GSes any day. Those fares costs more than A/P/Z/etc fares.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
In terms of CPU, does a gold has better change of upgrading on SFO-BOS transcon?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mediator
In terms of CPU, does a gold has better change of upgrading on SFO-BOS transcon?
Not really. Better than Silver for sure, but only marginally.

To have a reasonable shot at an upgrade most of the time you need to be an 1K on this route.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by Air Houston
If you are buying full Y tickets 1-2 days before departure you should be able to upgrade instantly if there are any seats available in F and you have any kind of premiere status. I find on most flights that at least one F seat is not given away with the CPU hand outs and gets filled at the gate.
Just for another data point; I changed flights 6 hours before departure the other day and was CPUd about five minutes after my reservation was re-ticketed. YMMV
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying
Great points guys.

I'm going by the mobile app.. possibly not the most reliable source but on the upgrade list, it seems to show confirmed upgrades and upgrade wait list. My name is usually #1 but there are 7-8 confirmed/checked-in upgrades and status lists F class as FULL from the upgrade tab.

Today's flight is a Y fare. I believe I've just passed 100k this year (all domestic except for a jaunt to Ireland) but a small fraction of that has been on United. Just like social levels, I fear middle class is getting the hard squeeze. No place/value in MP for 50k-100k flyers..... (my level last year).

Hope this doesn't kick off a political/economical debate

Although I will say it's given me the opportunity to fly VA & DL for most domestic and am now using Porter for Toronto (something I never did as a UA loyalist before).
I personally would never kick off a political / economic (nor social) debate.

I will just say though that being in the 1% (GS/1K) is a lot more fun than being one of the 99%! (99,999 PQM and below)

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Just for another data point; I changed flights 6 hours before departure the other day and was CPUd about five minutes after my reservation was re-ticketed. YMMV
And I had the opposite experience...

Changed flights not long before departure (of the new flight). Lost my confirmed upgrade that I had on my old flight, and did not get the upgrade on my new flight.

I was still happy that I even was able to get on to the new flight.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
That's what I would think. If you are buying a full-fare ticket, instant upgrade rules are in effect for premier.

could also be the website issue that a lot of PMUA flyers just aren't aware of and isn't super publicized by the new UA where you have to manually log into united.com and click the "upgrade" button on your reservation. not sure if it's that, but seems not a lot of people are aware of it still and that the YB(M) "instant upgrade" just essentially means it's instantly available, but not instantly processed. :shrug:
Can anyone verify this? Do you really have to click "upgrade" for the "instant upgrade" to work. I'm PMUA, and I haven't bought YBM yet this year. I'd be interested in another data point here.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K

OP's follow up post states that he/she believes that he/she has just passed the 100K mile mark this year. So going forward, he/she will be able to use M fares for instant upgrades as well.

I also agree that OP may be consistently beaten by GS's on the routes that he/she flies as well. My impression was that United holds on to 2 first class seats on the big 757's until after general boarding. I've seen it quite consistently on SFO-LAX a couple of times where they go to coach and pull two elites out of the pile and put them in FC after just about everyone has boarded.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Had a similar experience a few days ago. Changed from RIC-IAD-SFO to RIC-EWR-SFO a few hours before the flight due to weather delays - upgrade EWR-SFO cleared within 30 mins. A few hours later (due to further weather) I got them to protect me the next day on EWR-ORD-SFO - upgrade cleared on ORD-SFO within 10 minutes, and on EWR-ORD about an hour later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.