FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   AA or Delta--which one to switch to from UA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1373219-aa-delta-one-switch-ua.html)

jjardin Aug 2, 2012 1:36 pm

AA or Delta--which one to switch to from UA?

I have been pretty loyal to Continental--partly because I like to dive in Micronesia where they had a monopoly (but don't really anymore) and partly because I lived in Jersey and recently moved to San Fran. I fly mostly to London, Singapore, and India for business and tropical dive locations for fun.

I need to change from UA to something more reasonable--but I am moving to Charlotte next year. So AA or DL? It would have been nice to stay with UA given then are partners with USAir, but I can't deal with it anymore.

As we are all aware, the service has become garbage. Today's cancellation of UA997 at the last minute is the last straw (my 14yo flying alone from Grandma's was re-routed from F to Economy through IAD at midnight)--which only tops the SFO gate agent harrassing her when boarding to go to grandma's for having an extra carry on bag--which was a passport holder strung around her neck (who the hell count's the 6in x 4in x .25in passport thing as a carry on???)

Anyway I will finish my flights off this year with UA, cancel my president's club etc., and book a nice big Global First vacation for me and the spouse with all my miles (before they get rid of it).

If you were moving to CLT and needed to dump UA--where would you go?

jhayes_1780 Aug 2, 2012 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jjardin (Post 19048385)
If you were moving to CLT and needed to dump UA--where would you go?

Why not US? It doesn't mean you need to use UA again, and your 1K would get you the *G benefits (until you made status on US).

Plus (on the longshot side), if the US/AA tie-up ever did happen, you would be ahead of the curve.

Diplomatico Aug 2, 2012 1:50 pm

Unreal. Sorry to hear your child was subjected to what we seasoned UA travelers have come to understand is the new norm.

Other than the fact that US sucks, flying US out of their hub in CLT would seem logical. Not to mention they practically give away their top tier status.

txflyer77 Aug 2, 2012 1:52 pm

I agree, I'd seriously consider US. I've had fine experiences with the few US flights I've taken this year and I've heard great things about their updated TATL service. For Singapore and India you've got all of *A. US/LH for India, US connecting to SQ/NH/OZ/TG for Singapore.

jjardin Aug 2, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks.

US may make sense especially if they are going American. Looking at my corporate travel options it seems that StarAlliance and OneWorld flights are available, so Delta would be out of contention. Bit scared, though, as living this merger can show where something sensible can become something scary.

I guess I have to change credit cards too--the Presidential Plus used to be really good--although now I think I can get a cheaper card and just buy a club membership--or go AMEX.

Amazing that these loyalty programs really keep you loyal--lots to think about when jumping ship.

Akulashark Aug 2, 2012 2:29 pm

if you pick US, you don't get *G status while you get your US status. If your US number is on your ITIN .... you will look like no body. They don't poach inside the alliance so you cant status match.

Personally I think Delta is way better these days. I would give them a shot.

jjardin Aug 2, 2012 2:35 pm

Thinking more--*G on UA this year for next year & start flying US & AA next year sounds like the way to go. AA really doesn't go to GUM, though... I assume that US will leave star alliance for oneworld if combined with AA.

Thunderroad Aug 2, 2012 2:36 pm

Really sorry but frankly not surprised to hear about your kid's lousy experience. If it makes you feel any better (which it won't), this is par for the course on UA these days.

I'm pretty high on AA right now for all sorts of reasons t- name a few, 8 SWUs per year if you're an Executive Platinum (the vague equivalent of 1K, but better because there's no real GS equivalent a tier higher), you can use those upgrades on just about any economy fare (unlike UA), a great Asia partner in CX (though not as many Asian partners as UA) on which you can get F award redemptions, better customer service (especially if you're EXP), F lounge access if you're an EXP, the list goes on - but like the others here I wonder if US might be your best option out of Charlotte. If you do consider AA, as you may know it has had a status match option available for UA customers. Not sure if that's still available these days.

FWIW, from the little I've read I think it's doubtful that AA and US will merge, but stranger things have happened.

valor155 Aug 2, 2012 2:47 pm

I would agree just based on flight choices, US is the best for you from CLT.

I would say I had equivalent so-so service with US and UA.

I am glad you are putting your money where your mouth is. ^

The GA bullied your daughter because she could. It's one thing when it is you that is taking it, but bullying family like that . . . I salute your decision.

jjardin Aug 2, 2012 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by valor155 (Post 19048817)

The GA bullied your daughter because she could. It's one thing when it is you that is taking it, but bullying family like that . . . I salute your decision.

I really don't understand the GA. The kid was in F--so there is overhead room. She had a teddy bear,a roll on and a passport holder. I got a gate pass to get her aboard & honestly had a great ticket counter lady and ever TSA was wonderful. I had walked over to the window by the door so I could say the final goodby to my daughter--so by the time I got back she had already harrassed her about the passport holder. I was pretty annoyed and actually started documenting the rest of the people she allowed on with their piles of crap...but I decided to just walk away.

I guess today I have decided to really walk away. Just sucks that I have all these damn flexible elite miles that I have to use and a SFO-MAN/LHR-SFO trip at the end of the month or I would be totally done with these clowns.

As far was not being treated as *G on US--what the hell difference does it make? If this level of crap service is what you get on UA...I could suffer the indignity of being a nobody, do a few business trips to the UK and Asia and get to Gold before I have to worry about upgrades. What if I book all code shares as UA tickets on alliance flights and route all my ff miles to US Air? Does the status come through?

Originally Posted by valor155 (Post 19048817)

I really don't understand the GA. The kid was in F--so there is overhead room. She had a teddy bear,a roll on and a passport holder. I got a gate pass to get her aboard & honestly had a great ticket counter lady and ever TSA was wonderful. I had walked over to the window by the door so I could say the final goodby to my daughter--so by the time I got back she had already harrassed her about the passport holder. I was pretty annoyed and actually started documenting the rest of the people she allowed on with their piles of crap...but I decided to just walk away.

I guess today I have decided to really walk away. Just sucks that I have all these damn flexible elite miles that I have to use and a SFO-MAN/LHR-SFO trip at the end of the month or I would be totally done with these clowns.

As far was not being treated as *G on US--what the hell difference does it make? If this level of crap service is what you get on UA...I could suffer the indignity of being a nobody, do a few business trips to the UK and Asia and get to Gold before I have to worry about upgrades. What if I book all code shares as UA tickets on alliance flights and route all my ff miles to US Air? Does the status come through?

FlyWorld Aug 2, 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jjardin (Post 19048385)
...which only tops the SFO gate agent harrassing her when boarding to go to grandma's for having an extra carry on bag--which was a passport holder strung around her neck (who the hell count's the 6in x 4in x .25in passport thing as a carry on???)...

Realize this is off-topic but I once had a gate agent at ORD stop me from boarding because he wanted to count my hot dog as a piece of luggage. I was first to board and told him I wasn't going to check my hot dog or my compliant carry-on and if he wanted to fight with me, I'd whip out UA's baggage policy (which I always carry with me) and force him to read all of it, including the part that says "food brought on the plane that will be consumed on the plane does not count as a piece of luggage" - he could tell that fighting me would be more trouble than it was worth, and so I was able to negotiate my way on to the aircraft with a hot dog, which I consumed in 5 minutes, and hence, the "extra" luggage disappeared.

It happens. Sometimes, hard to believe. But, it does.

JerryFF Aug 2, 2012 3:28 pm

Everyone has their priorities, but after years of travel, nonstop flights are #1 for me. So that would make the choice a no-brainer - add me to the list of those recommending US.

fieldeng Aug 2, 2012 4:38 pm

This is not a simple decision.

Personally I would not fly USeless Air but..

If you value Non Stops the most, then US Air is your only solution. Also, if you value the Star Alliance (personally I think the OW airlines are better as a whole but YMMV).

If you value a better frequent flier program and don't mind connecting to either DFW, MIA or ORD, AA is the choice. Their SWU policy is far superior and they treat their EXP's like valued customers not overentitled people. Flights to Singapore might be an issue unless you can fly JL or Cathay. London and India aren't an issue here as both are well served with BA. The Tropical dive locations are served by Cathay fairly well unless you are talking Rhoatan or something like that and AA will take care of you.

Delta is an option or alternative to AA. You'll connect to ATL, MEM, DTW & MSP. The bigger negative is they are called Sky Pesos for a reason. They aren't easy to redeem and upgrading is not an easy task either. AA is far superior in both of those realms.

raehl311 Aug 2, 2012 5:00 pm

As it appears you do a lot of international travel, I would avoid DL. Their SWUs are worthless (M fare or higher, can buy discount C on a foreign carrier for that price) and international mileage redemption is quite poor.

German Expat Aug 2, 2012 5:25 pm

Do you care about international upgrades or you are already booked in paid C anyway ?