Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading International Codeshares (LH-Operated Flight)

Old Aug 2, 12, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Hi all,

Flying on LH tomorrow (FRA-SFO), under a UA flight number. B fare. I realize that *A upgrades with UA miles are technically not possible under this situation, but has anyone tried to upgrade something along these lines at the airport before departure? I'm thinking of asking the LH lounge agents whether there's any way to process something like this and am wondering whether others have had success (or been laughed at, etc...)

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 12, 10:38 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
Hi all,

Flying on LH tomorrow (FRA-SFO), under a UA flight number. B fare. I realize that *A upgrades with UA miles are technically not possible under this situation, but has anyone tried to upgrade something along these lines at the airport before departure? I'm thinking of asking the LH lounge agents whether there's any way to process something like this and am wondering whether others have had success (or been laughed at, etc...)

Thanks!
You're boned (unless you have printed SWUs lying around - safe to assume you don't, if you're asking). But on a B fare, why not change to UA metal? Should be no change fee, can upgrade to C with no co-pay, and C class on UA will be much nicer than C class on LH. Even in Y, E+ is infinitely better than LH's awful Y class.
Old Aug 2, 12, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Hi all,

Thanks!
It won't be possible at the airport. LH agents have no way to access miles in your UA account which you would need to use for a *A upgrade. You're SOL I'm afraid unless you can convince UA to do it over the phone..they won't be able to help you with that at the airport.
Old Aug 2, 12, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
You're boned (unless you have printed SWUs lying around - safe to assume you don't, if you're asking). But on a B fare, why not change to UA metal? Should be no change fee, can upgrade to C with no co-pay, and C class on UA will be much nicer than C class on LH. Even in Y, E+ is infinitely better than LH's awful Y class.
Hmmm... Good point -- I hadn't considered that. Maybe I'll give UA a call and see if that's possible.
Though the UA flight is showing:
F0, FN0, A0, ON0, O0, J0, JN0, C0, D0, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y4, YN4, B0, M0, E0, U0, H0, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

So that doesn't look promising either...
Old Aug 2, 12, 10:45 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Ouch.
Old Aug 2, 12, 10:50 am
Original Poster

yup...
By UA's website, though, the LH flight is showing:
F0, A0, J4, C4, D0, Z0, P0, Y0, B0, M0, U0, H0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0

Not sure how reliable that is, but maybe as *G on a B fare I'd have a chance at an op-up?
If nothing else, I'm on the A380 for the first time .

Edit: Based on info from the M&M thread, the LH flight looks like:
FL AL OL J9 C9 DL ZL PC IL RL Y2 B1 ML UL HL XL QL NL VL WL SL TC LC KC

So maybe there's a chance after all!

Last edited by GBadger; Aug 2, 12 at 11:07 am
Old Aug 2, 12, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
yup...
By UA's website, though, the LH flight is showing:
F0, A0, J4, C4, D0, Z0, P0, Y0, B0, M0, U0, H0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0

Not sure how reliable that is, but maybe as *G on a B fare I'd have a chance at an op-up?
If nothing else, I'm on the A380 for the first time .
ExpertFlyer shows: F0 A0 J9 C9 D9 Z0 Y4 B3 M2 U2 H1 Q1 V1 W1 S1 for the LH operated flight (non code share). There are 10 open or blocked seats on the seatmap in biz class. Op-up? Sure stranger things have happened. On a plane of that size if it's showing Y4 you can bet it's already oversold...but who knows by how much.

Star Alliance upgrades must be requested at least 24 hours in advance so it'll be too late for this now...but maybe for next time..

The only hail Mary option that I can think of here is if you could convince an LH agent to take over the ticket and re-book it as a non-code share, and then after they do it..call UA and do a *A upgrade. I have zero experience doing this with LH, but I did once have success at the airport in SEA having a UA agent (pre-merger, when code share flights on UA metal were not upgradeable except at the airport) take over a US code share ticket 100% on UA metal. After taking it over I was able to upgrade the rest of my itinerary. If LH would do it... you'd likely have to have 100% LH flights remaining on the itinerary. I'm guessing there's about a 5% chance of success..but if I were in your situation I would definitely give it a try...if you got a knowledgeable ticketing agent who was in the mood to help you out it might work.
Old Aug 2, 12, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
ExpertFlyer shows: F0 A0 J9 C9 D9 Z0 Y4 B3 M2 U2 H1 Q1 V1 W1 S1 for the LH operated flight (non code share). There are 10 open or blocked seats on the seatmap in biz class. Op-up? Sure stranger things have happened. On a plane of that size if it's showing Y4 you can bet it's already oversold...but who knows by how much.

Star Alliance upgrades must be requested at least 24 hours in advance so it'll be too late for this now...but maybe for next time..

The only hail Mary option that I can think of here is if you could convince an LH agent to take over the ticket and re-book it as a non-code share, and then after they do it..call UA and do a *A upgrade. I have zero experience doing this with LH, but I did once have success at the airport in SEA having a UA agent (pre-merger, when code share flights on UA metal were not upgradeable except at the airport) take over a US code share ticket 100% on UA metal. After taking it over I was able to upgrade the rest of my itinerary. If LH would do it... you'd likely have to have 100% LH flights remaining on the itinerary. I'm guessing there's about a 5% chance of success..but if I were in your situation I would definitely give it a try...if you got a knowledgeable ticketing agent who was in the mood to help you out it might work.
Thanks for the tips -- I figured that with the 24 hour deadline for *A upgrades, that options was dead in the water. I'll just go in with an open mind, ask politely, see if someone can make it happen. If not, I'll hope for an op-up, and if that doesn't pan out, enjoy row 50 on the A380. At least there's power in Y so that I can get some work done!
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Well, as predicted, miles are not an option here. Looks like my only hope is an op-up. Not holding my breath .
Old Aug 28, 12, 8:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
Was just able to book *A upgrade for flight tonight. DEN-FRA, FRA-DEL. 24 hours is the rule, but it is really just a matter of them putting the request in and getting it approved. With LH it took a few minutes. Y-J upgrades book into I. Star Alliance Award desk (I didn't know they had such a thing) can be reached by calling 877-726-7282.
Old Aug 28, 12, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
I've been offered LH upgrades (Y-C and C-F) at the airport a few times, usually $300-$500. Was once offered for EUR3,000, which was tempting but I didn't take!

In my experience, those happen only at remote stations, and never in Germany.

LH new C class is neat, although I always had a good night sleep on the old C as well. I still think LH C class beats UA's 8-per-row config on the 777.

Search this Thread