Search

Flat bed service to HI?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, 1K
Flat bed service to HI?

Greetings

I need to travel BOS-OGG in Dec. I don't mind connecting through HNL if this gets me a flat bed. Question: do the 764s from EWR or IAD have them? The current seat map shows them as regular F seats, but I seem to remember that all 764s should be converted by then? How about the PMUA domestic 763's? Will they have flat beds by then? I am assuming that the PMUA 772 domestic will not be converted.

Any help and suggestions for routing would be greatly appreciated.

Safe trips to all
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by uyflyer
Greetings

I need to travel BOS-OGG in Dec. I don't mind connecting through HNL if this gets me a flat bed. Question: do the 764s from EWR or IAD have them? The current seat map shows them as regular F seats, but I seem to remember that all 764s should be converted by then? How about the PMUA domestic 763's? Will they have flat beds by then? I am assuming that the PMUA 772 domestic will not be converted.

Safe trips to all
The 764's are steadily being converted to have the new seats. More than half are done now and by December they may all be done. It's a pretty good bet that you'll have them by then (assuming they don't swap the equipment for something else in the mean time). UA is showing only the old seat maps on future 764 flights so that people don't get their hopes up only to be disappointed when the old seats show up. But that will probably change as the conversions progress. The PMUA 2 class 777's are not scheduled to be converted (although it would certainly be welcome).
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The 764's are steadily being converted to have the new seats. More than half are done now and by December they may all be done. It's a pretty good bet that you'll have them by then (assuming they don't swap the equipment for something else in the mean time). UA is showing only the old seat maps on future 764 flights so that people don't get their hopes up only to be disappointed when the old seats show up. But that will probably change as the conversions progress. The PMUA 2 class 777's are not scheduled to be converted (although it would certainly be welcome).
Yeah, ORD-HNL is a long flight on those domestic 777 F seats!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by uyflyer
Greetings

Safe trips to all
The IAH/DEN/IAD/EWR-HNL flights are rostered for the high density pacific version of the 764 with the recliners, but since there are only four of them, it's obvious that not every flight is going to get the pacific version, so the international 764s are also used to fill in the gaps. 9 of the 12 international 764s have flat beds. It's all luck of the draw, buy a fully flexible ticket and keep changing it until you find the day with flat bed seats.

PMUA domestic 763s are being converted to flat bed, but those will become international planes. Domestic 777s will be converted later once the p.s. Business recliners come off the p.s. planes later this year.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:56 pm

Flat bed service to HI?

SFO-HNL
Type: D10 (what is this aircraft?)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by jasp25
SFO-HNL
That's a DC-10 but maybe your computer got stuck in a time warp - its been a loooong time since those babies flew to HI...remember the awful gold FC seats?

http://flightaware.com/photos/aircrafttype/D10
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
SFO-HNL
That's a DC-10 but maybe your computer got stuck in a time warp - its been a loooong time since those babies flew to HI...remember the awful gold FC seats?

I've never flown on a DC10! They stopped flying before I started flying UA.. I'm young 20 so guess I was too young when they were in service.
Ualcargo.com flight 73, aug 3rd. Hawaii flight shows D10.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:30 am

I've never flown on a DC10! They stopped flying before I started flying UA.. I'm young 20 so guess I was too young when they were in service.
Ualcargo.com flight 73, aug 3rd. Hawaii flight shows D10.
cargo.com is wrong. 73 is flown with a 76H aircraft 20/236 configuration.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
You didn't miss them by too many years overall - January 7/8, 2007 was the final flight of a DC10 in regular scheduled service by a major US carrier, but that was over on NWA.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent

Aaaaah memories.. yes they were old school but I quite enjoyed F class on the DC10's. Row 1 seats AB or HJ had lots of legroom..I didn't think the seats were that bad.. they had a table in the front of the cabin where they kept the open wine bottles on top of linens.. and it was a frequently flown on the DEN-SEA route, and also to Hawaii..usually an easy upgrade (I lived in DEN in the 90s and flew on it frequently up to SEA..and elsewhere). I guess part of the nostalgia is that back when UA flew the DC10's flying F was still kind of special..menus on every flight..much better meals than they have now..etc.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Does anyone know if UA 1 IAH-HNL is regularly seeing flatbed 767's? I'm on that segment on 9/6, not expecting it, but would be a great way to ride to HNL.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by UAORD
Does anyone know if UA 1 IAH-HNL is regularly seeing flatbed 767's? I'm on that segment on 9/6, not expecting it, but would be a great way to ride to HNL.
From what I've seen, UA1/2 gets the international configuration, but YMMV.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by 764toHI
From what I've seen, UA1/2 gets the international configuration, but YMMV.
Thanks 764toHI. Yes - it's the intl config. I wasn't sure if it was seeing swaps regularly from the 7 rows of old recliner seats to the new BF lie flat config.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:36 am

Will ORD-OGG or LAX/SFO-ORD be getting lie flat seats?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by milemonkey
Will ORD-OGG or LAX/SFO-ORD be getting lie flat seats?
ORD-OGG is still a PMUA route operated by a 777.. no lie flat anytime in the near future at least. LAX/SFO-ORD depends on the equipment used..most flights will not, but some flights will..it all depends on the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.