Wiki Posts
Search

Y fares on UA, LH Not Upgradable???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Y fares on UA, LH Not Upgradable???

I've looked in both the UA and LH forums and cannot find the answer to this question.

I booked DEN-IAH-AMS ... AMS-FRA-IAH-DEN for September. The IAH-AMS (UA metal), FRA-IAH (LH), and IAH-DEN (UA metal) legs are each in Y:

When I attempt to upgrade the flights, it appears that the system is not recognizing my Y fare bucket:

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I see in the MP Upgrade rules that "Only flights marketed and operated by the same airline are permitted" and "Codeshare flights not eligible" so I am guessing that the LH A380 flight is not eligible for a mileage plus upgrade.

1. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Y fares?

2. Is my interpretation correct that the LH flight is not MP upgrade eligible because it is listed as a UA flight number in my reservation? If I cannot use MP miles to upgrade, do I have any chance of paying for an upgrade with LH, either now or at check-in?

3. What is the best way to go about attempting to upgrade my UA flights, both avoiding the co-pay for the outbound legs (DEN-IAH-AMS) and pushing through the IAH-DEN upgrade on the instant upgrade fare?

Thanks much as always.

Last edited by NgatesSEA; Jul 31, 2012 at 8:13 am
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by efjmiller
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I see in the MP Upgrade rules that "Only flights marketed and operated by the same airline are permitted" and "Codeshare flights not eligible" so I am guessing that the LH A380 flight is not eligible for a mileage plus upgrade.
Has noting to do with the 380 in this instance... you need to book Y directly with LH to be able to use *A upgrades
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:08 am

I've looked in both the UA and LH forums and cannot find the answer to this question.

I booked DEN-IAH-AMS ... AMS-FRA-IAH-DEN for September. The IAH-AMS (UA metal), FRA-IAH (LH A380), and IAH-DEN (UA metal) legs are each in Y:

When I attempt to upgrade the flights, it appears that the system is not recognizing my Y fare bucket:

1. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Y fares?

2. Is my interpretation correct that the LH flight is not MP upgrade eligible because it is listed as a UA flight number in my reservation? If I cannot use MP miles to upgrade, do I have any chance of paying for an upgrade with LH, either now or at check-in?

3. What is the best way to go about attempting to upgrade my UA flights, both avoiding the co-pay for the outbound legs (DEN-IAH-AMS) and pushing through the IAH-DEN upgrade on the instant upgrade fare?

Thanks much as always.
Instant upgrade fare only applies to domestic UA metal flights and still is capacity controlled.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Instant upgrade fare only applies to domestic UA metal flights and still is capacity controlled.
Thanks. Do the instant upgrade Y fares book into a different booking class than MP upgrade fares? If united.com will allow me to use 15k miles to upgrade the IAH-DEN UA metal flight (and is showing current availability), which fare bucket am I looking for in order to use the instant upgrade?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:27 am

Thanks. Do the instant upgrade Y fares book into a different booking class than MP upgrade fares? If united.com will allow me to use 15k miles to upgrade the IAH-DEN UA metal flight (and is showing current availability), which fare bucket am I looking for in order to use the instant upgrade?

I think it's the JN fare class. Check Expertflyer if you are not aware of that.

If you pay Y for that segment you should get instant upgrade with no need to use miles.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:39 am

Note that last flight (IAH-DEN) is eligible for a free upgrade right now (since you're Premier on a Y fare code), and has seats available, so you should get that with no mile or dollar charge.

However, these seem to not be automatic upgrades, rather it involves some interaction on your part. It may be complicated since you have international legs, but when I've had Y fares for domestic only, I have to go through some process of a few clicks to actually request the free upgrade. If you're having issues, try calling and they should be able to upgrade you on that flight with no charge.

Also, the fare bucket you're looking for is JN, but I've always seen JN greater than or equal to R. On the page you show above, R=3, so you should be fine for JN.

Edit: Gotta love UA Math: 15 mins gate-to-gate AMS-FRA!

Last edited by 777boy; Jul 31, 2012 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
It looks like your FRA-IAH flight is a codeshare, I think that makes it ineligible for a *A upgrade.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
On the outbound you should be able to call MP and request upgrade on the INT segment only, which is in Y, thus avoiding co-pay. If you try to upgrade the whole thing in one go my guess is that the L segment forces you into the miles+copay scenario. DEN-IAH you can live with in Y, or you might luck into a CPU, you never know.

Too bad with the LH flight, as others have said it does have to be sold as LH and not a codeshare. Anything can happen at the airport; I don't believe Y will give you any particular advantage here, though, just hope you're lucky, or that the flight is busy enough in econ that they will be glad for people to purchase upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.