Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club, another change that I think you'll like (d/credit for prem. bar drinks)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club, another change that I think you'll like (d/credit for prem. bar drinks)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by villox
If they're eliminating the ability to pay in cash, it seems reasonable to assume they're eliminating the cash drawers as well? Sometimes the bartenders have had to go in there to get me change so that I can tip them.
Bartenders should have plenty of change in their pockets for you. Just like anyone else who is expecting a tip (bellhop, cab guy, etc.), IMO. In fact, if they're changing larger bills for me, I'll usually tip an extra dollar for the extra work . Not going to affect my United Club behavior in the slightest. If they're lazy and forget to bring change for the start of their shifts, it'll cost them, but I'm guessing it won't happen very frequently.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by villox
If they're eliminating the ability to pay in cash, it seems reasonable to assume they're eliminating the cash drawers as well? Sometimes the bartenders have had to go in there to get me change so that I can tip them.

I guess if enough people have tipped earlier on it's fine, but I could see it slightly cutting down on the ability for people taking advantage of the free drinks who don't have change to tip especially early in the day.
It should not have any effect. Just like bartenders serving at a full (i.e. free) bar at a banquet/wedding, they need to put out a tip jar and start the day with enough change.

I agree that they will do a little better with CC payers. That said, I would assume a big portion of their customers pay with a CC now, so it probably won't make much difference.

The COPA club in PTY does not take cash because they only have free drinks, and I have noticed that those bartenders are tipped regularly.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Dumb question: To run a debit/credit card the merchant has to pay a merchant processing fee, usually between 2 and 4%. By eliminating all cash for these purchases, won't United be losing money (in however small increments) as now all purchases, not just some, are subject to this fee?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Dumb question: To run a debit/credit card the merchant has to pay a merchant processing fee, usually between 2 and 4%. By eliminating all cash for these purchases, won't United be losing money (in however small increments) as now all purchases, not just some, are subject to this fee?
1) I bet United's negotiated rate is much less than 2%.
2) It all depends on how much cash is "misplaced" by bar staff.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:18 pm

I would think that the efficiencies that are gained by having everything electronic makes up for the CC merchant processing fee...
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
2) It all depends on how much cash is "misplaced" by bar staff.

While there may be some theft in most every business involving cash, that is only one of the many costs of cash handling.

Having cash on hand, having change on hand, counting it, depositing it, etc., are all costs associated with cash handling.

The money doesn't deposit itself, and that armored truck doesn't pull up for free.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
When do the swipe fees start?

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I would think that the efficiencies that are gained by having everything electronic makes up for the CC merchant processing fee...
Probably right. It'll get even better if/once "swipe fees" come into play.

As far as tipping goes, my first three years in the workforce were in a tips-only job. As a result I'm very tip conscious and have overtipped my whole life. But everybody likes a little spiff on their pay whether it's waitstaff or a big time banker, don't they? And I figure people whose jobs involves tips might need an extra buck or twenty more than I will miss it.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Hopefully they make sure all the clubs are set up to allow for tips. The club in BOS does not allow tips on credit card. You just get a regular reciept vs. the one common at bars where you can add a tip before signing.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA1K
i bet there is a tip jar...i'll always tip $1 per drink regardless.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It depends on their agreement, but I would bet that United is paying considerably less than that and probably a flat fee on debit cards. The actual money loss will probably easily be offset by the savings in the cost of handling, storing, depositing, and all the rest of the stuff they have to do with cash.

Just like they did in the cabin when they went cashless up there.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by cordelli
It depends on their agreement, but I would bet that United is paying considerably less than that and probably a flat fee on debit cards. The actual money loss will probably easily be offset by the savings in the cost of handling, storing, depositing, and all the rest of the stuff they have to do with cash.

Just like they did in the cabin when they went cashless up there.
Rest assured they've figured it out. Going cashless--like all decisions under the new CO mgt of UA--was not a decision made for the benefit of the pax (or the UC 'members').
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223
Hopefully they make sure all the clubs are set up to allow for tips. The club in BOS does not allow tips on credit card. You just get a regular reciept vs. the one common at bars where you can add a tip before signing.
Or, they could raise the bartenders / servers pay to $15/hour ($20?) and discourage tipping altogether...

Are the club employees unionized?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Or, they could raise the bartenders / servers pay to $15/hour ($20?) and discourage tipping altogether...

Are the club employees unionized?
If they are not already clearing more than $20/hour as a UC bartender on tips, they ought to find another line or work. Heck, I made $15/hour delivering Domino's pizza, and that was more than 12 years ago.

As a rule, anybody who works for tips and hustles just a little will get paid better than somebody on a fixed wage in a similar role. Just ask anybody in the restaurant industry.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Eliminating choices most often equals customer-unfriendly results.
(Third time I have posted this...have no idea why my posts keep disappearing in this thread.)

+1. COmpletely agree. Limiting choice is not good. Slippery slope.

I wonder if other airlines will follow.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Well drinks and beer/wine free?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.