Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)

I have an itin ($1,050; 25,436 miles) I booked today which is YYZ-IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG-SIN and vice versa (booked in K class, so all segments except HNL-GUM and vice versa should be upgradable with RPUs, and by extension, GPUs)

But when I look at upgrading online using instruments, it's breaking up my itin into 2 upgradeable segments each way: YYZ-IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG and HKG-SIN. ie. it wants 4 instruments to upgrade the entire eligible portion of the itin, instead of 2 GPUs.
Granted there is a 23 hour stopover (not layover) in HKG (12 hours on way back), but I wouldn't expect that to matter.

I called UA 1K line once and got a clueless agent.

Questions:
1: Shouldn't a single GPU allow upgrades for one direction, i.e. YYZ-IAH-HNL and GUM-HKG-SIN (since HNL-GUM isn't eligible due to class)?
2: On the online upgrade screen, when I click on the upgrade-using-RPU-or-GPU button, it shows YYZ-IAH-HNL and GUM-HKG are eligible for RPU (looks like 1 RPU but from past experience that would take 2 RPU) but the GPU would only cover YYZ-IAH and GUM-HKG. How is that possible? Just a glitch? On the outbound, it shows seats available for ugprade (not waitlist)
3: Does it matter if I do the upgrade online (with 2 GPUs) and then call to make sure all segments (except HNL-GUM, GUM-HNL) are upgraded/waitlisted, or should I only do it over the phone?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by poverty.jet.set; Jul 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
K fare is not an eligible fare for GPU's for international travel. Shorter/domestic flights can be upgraded but normally there is a limit of three segments IIRC. Not sure if Guam is eligible, but perhaps not.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The computer is confused because you have a long layover in HKG before going to SIN. Although technically less than 24 hours I believe you will have to get a very experienced agent who understands the new rules to apply the RPU.

Good luck and expect a small headache in the process.

-RM
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Houston
K fare is not an eligible fare for GPU's for international travel. Shorter/domestic flights can be upgraded but normally there is a limit of three segments IIRC. Not sure if Guam is eligible, but perhaps not.
Thanks, though according to https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx GPUs are good for intra-asia (except HNL-GUM, NRT-SIN and NRT-BKK) without a fare restriction.
In fact those same intra-asia flights are eligible for RPUs as well, though that would require 2 RPUs in each direction (one in the north america region, and one in the asia region) -- found that one out a few months ago on a similar itin.

Haven't heard of a 3 segment limit, but who knows. Although another page on GPUs does contain the disclaimer "other restriction may apply." Nice

Last edited by poverty.jet.set; Oct 7, 2012 at 9:23 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The image you posted says Redeem 1 GPU or 1 RPU. where does it say 2? It appears to be showing you what segments are upgrade eligible for GPU and which for RPU.

Question does IAH-HNL not allow GPU on K fare but RPU does? if so might want to use RPU instead.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by CDKing
The image you posted says Redeem 1 GPU or 1 RPU. where does it say 2? It appears to be showing you what segments are upgrade eligible for GPU and which for RPU.

Question does IAH-HNL not allow GPU on K fare but RPU does? if so might want to use RPU instead.
I'm similarly confused. This seems like a mistake that the GPU can't be used for this segment as well.

In any case, I would use an RPU anyways (since it's not a W or above fare, a GPU won't help on the HNL-GUM segment).
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
It's showing 1 CR1 for YYZ-HKG. There's no option to use it for the HKG-SIN segment thereby necessitating (potentially) a second cert for that flight.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
I'm similarly confused. This seems like a mistake that the GPU can't be used for this segment as well.

In any case, I would use an RPU anyways (since it's not a W or above fare, a GPU won't help on the HNL-GUM segment).
Well I was hoping that one GPU would cover YYZ all the way to SIN (except for HNL-GUM due to K fare) as opposed to 2 RPUs, each way.

The way I read the cahrts, IAH-HNL should be upgradeable with either GPU or RPU, independent of fare class.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
The HNL-GUM segment is NOT eligible to be upgraded with either a GPU or RPU because it is a K-fare. That route requires a W-fare or higher. (as is clearly posted in the "upgrades overview" section of the website)

Therefore, the segments BEFORE that segment need one upgrade instrument and the segments AFTER that segment need a separate upgrade instrument.

(It doesn't have anything to do with the 3-segment limit that I speculated about earlier)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I've never seen ual.com show military times for flights...do you have it set to another country? Does the Canada setting switch it to military time?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I've never seen ual.com show military times for flights.....
www.united.com > My Account > Profile > Regional and Language Preferences
Code:
Date & Time Format Preferences
Date Format: 		Time Format:
O July 15 		O 12-Hour Clock (12:00 a.m. - 11:59 p.m.)
O 15 July 		O 24-Hour Clock (00:00 - 23:59)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Isn't there a rule that any layover longer than 12 hours breaks the validity of a single GPU to be used to upgrade the entire OW direction? I believe that the similar rule for RPUs is for any layover over 4 hours. That may be the reason for OPs inability to use the single GPU to upgrade all the way to SIN.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Update - couldn't do it with just 2 upgrades

Talked to a good agent who tried lots of variations, but in the end we weren't able to do it with 1 upgrade in each direction.

I ended up using 3 RPUs to upgrade YYZ-IAH-HNL, GUM-HKG-SIN (waitlisted) and HNL-IAH-YYZ; I'll take my chance for CPUs on SIN-HKG-GUM since I had some RPUs to use up.

Couldn't get a 100% definitive answer on the reasons, but it seems to boil down to it being so many flights/regions.

aside: at the time I booked, the W fare was $1800 vs my $1000 K fare.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by todorovic
Isn't there a rule that any layover longer than 12 hours breaks the validity of a single GPU to be used to upgrade the entire OW direction? I believe that the similar rule for RPUs is for any layover over 4 hours. ....
that was true PMUA (12/4 hour rules) -- additional the 12 hour rules was only on "international" itins. So both SIN flights would have been disallowed from the other segements.

As for post merger, have not seen any posted rules or heard of flyer expereinces.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by poverty.jet.set
Talked to a good agent who tried lots of variations, but in the end we weren't able to do it with 1 upgrade in each direction.

I ended up using 3 RPUs to upgrade YYZ-IAH-HNL, GUM-HKG-SIN (waitlisted) and HNL-IAH-YYZ; I'll take my chance for CPUs on SIN-HKG-GUM since I had some RPUs to use up.

Couldn't get a 100% definitive answer on the reasons, but it seems to boil down to it being so many flights/regions.

aside: at the time I booked, the W fare was $1800 vs my $1000 K fare.
$1000 K fare for 25000 EQM. Good deal. ^

I would use RPU on SIN-HKG because it's 744 vs HKG-SIN crappy 737.

Still, tough life! I would spend $$ to get W fare and use GPU to sit in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.