Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Thanks yet again Kacee. Every time I think I have everything figured out, I realize how much more complicated it is (so that's for dealing with my stream of conscious questions)
To each his/her own. I tend to split when in this dilemma, especially for red-eyes back home - where the wife really needs her sleep, and I can easily sleep in Y+.

But to Kacee's point - when to split is critical. I am hoping for CPUs on the outbound, so will not split until forced to at OLCI, and then will apply the RPU for the inbound. (R=6 less than 3 weeks out, so hopeful).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
To each his/her own. I tend to split when in this dilemma, especially for red-eyes back home - where the wife really needs her sleep, and I can easily sleep in Y+.

But to Kacee's point - when to split is critical. I am hoping for CPUs on the outbound, so will not split until forced to at OLCI, and then will apply the RPU for the inbound. (R=6 less than 3 weeks out, so hopeful).
Ya makes sense. If it were up to just me, I would rather one of us get upgraded so my SO can sit in F and I'll take the Y+...but she'd rather have us both in Y+ together than 1 and 1. Wouldn't mind giving up a CPU, but don't would be a waste of an RPU.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Inventory on west coast - HNL tends to be handled a bit differently. You'll typically see swings - e.g., R0 to R4 to R0 - rather than seats dribbled out one at a time.

OP, how many F seats open right now?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Inventory on west coast - HNL tends to be handled a bit differently. You'll typically see swings - e.g., R0 to R4 to R0 - rather than seats dribbled out one at a time.

OP, how many F seats open right now?
F9; with 18 seats unassigned. But the flight is in November, before a big conference. It's PN4...if only I hadn't taken all those LH flights
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's PN4...if only I hadn't taken all those LH flights
PN4 is a positive indicator.

Not sure I understand the LH comment; all 1K instruments clear into R.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:34 pm

PN4 is a positive indicator.

Not sure I understand the LH comment; all 1K instruments clear into R.
It was a vague reference to forgone GS status. I have over $70k YTD spend in paid F/J, almost all of it on LH metal.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:48 pm

It was a vague reference to forgone GS status. I have over $70k YTD spend in paid F/J, almost all of it on LH metal.
Got it!

Not to mention the foregone UA mx adventures and exquisite cuisine
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:17 pm

RPU & GPU

Hello, I'm traveling with 4 other people in same reservation on UA from LAX to JFK nonstop in eco. How does RPU/GPU work? Is there a way I will know for sure that I will get upgraded if using RPU/GPU? I want to trade with someone in the coupon section for one but don't know exactly how this works. Also, how many passengers can get upgraded using RPU/GPU under 1 reservation? Thanks ^
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FAllWay
Hello, I'm traveling with 4 other people in same reservation on UA from LAX to JFK nonstop in eco. How does RPU/GPU work? Is there a way I will know for sure that I will get upgraded if using RPU/GPU? I want to trade with someone in the coupon section for one but don't know exactly how this works. Also, how many passengers can get upgraded using RPU/GPU under 1 reservation? Thanks ^
If you log into your UA account and activate advanced mode, you will then be able to do a flight search for your flight and see the fare buckets. If there is space in R available, you should be able to use RPU / GPU certs to upgrade the reservation.

I believe if there are only a few R spaces available and you have 6 people on the record, you can upgrade individual passengers, but the record will be split apart (but all party members will retain all of your privileges, such as premier access, E+ seats, and general CPU upgrade-ability).

Not sure what happens if there is no R space available and you use the certs... will the record automatically split up if space opens up? (Kacee or some other evangelist... please help).
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I believe if there are only a few R spaces available and you have 6 people on the record, you can upgrade individual passengers, but the record will be split apart (but all party members will retain all of your privileges, such as premier access, E+ seats, and general CPU upgrade-ability).
As I read it, OP doesn't have status but wants to trade for instruments in coupon connection.

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Not sure what happens if there is no R space available and you use the certs... will the record automatically split up if space opens up?
Upgrading pax on same PNR is all or nothing. If it's six pax, you have to apply six instruments to keep on same PNR. To waitlist a single pax, that ticket will have to be split off.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 14, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
As I read it, OP doesn't have status but wants to trade for instruments in coupon connection. (And I hope this isn't someone with insufficient posts for CC fishing for an offer in the forum.)

Upgrading pax on same PNR is all or nothing. If it's six pax, you have to apply six instruments to keep on same PNR. To waitlist a single pax, that ticket will have to be split off.
FAllWay has 622 posts and has been FT member since 2011 so he/she should be able to access the CC forum.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
FAllWay has 622 posts and has been FT member since 2011 so he/she should be able to access the CC forum.
Not sure how I missed that. I've fixed my post.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I'd be interested in people's experience being able to call in and only put the longer, primary leg on an RPU upgrade list. Thanks!

Last edited by goalie; Aug 15, 2015 at 12:47 pm Reason: quote from older thread removed after post moved to this thread
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I'd be interested in people's experience being able to call in and only put the longer, primary leg on an RPU upgrade list. Thanks!
This is exactly how to do it... And the only way as far as I know. I have done this in the past effectively, and this is a good way to ensure that your instrument is used efficiently(I.e. on the long segment).
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
MODERATOR NOTE

As a reference point, I've closed the thread noted below and have noted in that thread that folks should post their GPU & RPU questions, concerns and comments in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-strategy.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.