Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
If you're GS you can upgrade an award ticket, as long as both the miles and upgrade instrument come from GS. You need to call GS to do this.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jgsx
If you're GS you can upgrade an award ticket, as long as both the miles and upgrade instrument come from GS. You need to call GS to do this.
I called on Friday to book an award ticket for a family member, and upgrade using a GPU. Told this can no longer be done, courtesy of the end as of 4/15 of inherited benefits. If this is true, this is a huge downgrade of GS.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:24 pm

Wow, maybe I did just get lucky then. Did you book the flight? Maybe if you try to call back in you'll get a different person and maybe get away with it since it's not yet 4/15?

I HATE that they made the change to eliminate inherited status. My husband is actually the GS in our family. Unless it's an international flight, his company pays for where ever he is going whether it's home or elsewhere so he never uses the points himself. Yet he earned the status on those points, and likes the comfort of knowing when his family is flying that they'll be taken care of.

If he does use points himself, it's going to be an international flight, in which case the GPUs actually mean something to him.. but he's also never going to be paying out of pocket for that trip since it's the whole point of having the reward points.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sface
I called on Friday to book an award ticket for a family member, and upgrade using a GPU. Told this can no longer be done, courtesy of the end as of 4/15 of inherited benefits. If this is true, this is a huge downgrade of GS.
Yeah, huge.

Originally Posted by aquos
Wow, maybe I did just get lucky then. Did you book the flight? Maybe if you try to call back in you'll get a different person and maybe get away with it since it's not yet 4/15?

I HATE that they made the change to eliminate inherited status. My husband is actually the GS in our family. Unless it's an international flight, his company pays for where ever he is going whether it's home or elsewhere so he never uses the points himself. Yet he earned the status on those points, and likes the comfort of knowing when his family is flying that they'll be taken care of.

If he does use points himself, it's going to be an international flight, in which case the GPUs actually mean something to him.. but he's also never going to be paying out of pocket for that trip since it's the whole point of having the reward points.
Yeah, I know it will sound harsh, but boo-hoo.

With all the downgrades at UA, this sounds like a lot of extraordinarily petty whining to me. And to United.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
I should know this but if seats show in R (R>0), can you use a GPU to upgrade even if you're not buying a seat in a "W" and above fare class?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hans
I should know this but if seats show in R (R>0), can you use a GPU to upgrade even if you're not buying a seat in a "W" and above fare class?
Nope. Just Miles+money for International if buying fare classes below W. For Domestic and those international destinations that can be upgraded via an RPU, yes you can use a GPU without worrying about the W-fare class restrictions.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hans
No, if your ticket class is below W, the GPU button will be greyed out on the reservations upgrade page. GPU are fare restricted to W and above. You can upgrade a ticket below W with miles and copay $$.

GPU are not fare restricted if the PNR is fully domestic/RPU eligible.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aquos
...Yet he earned the status on those points, and likes the comfort of knowing when his family is flying that they'll be taken care of....
The upgrades should be enjoyed by the people who actually earned them, not their family or friends. The glitch that has allowed those upgrades and other inhereted benefits have taken them from the people who actually earned/deserve them. The points the GS earns can still be used on upgrades and award tickets.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS / MM
This upgrade can still be done after 4/15 if you are on the same flight. Just call and book yourself an award seat on the same flight.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
If I want to apply GPUs from 2 different accounts to a reservation, do i need to split the PNR first?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by XCstud
If I want to apply GPUs from 2 different accounts to a reservation, do i need to split the PNR first?
No that's not necessary. You just apply one instrument from each account.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:53 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The upgrades should be enjoyed by the people who actually earned them, not their family or friends. The glitch that has allowed those upgrades and other inhereted benefits have taken them from the people who actually earned/deserve them.
How do you feel about families and friends—on the same metal—still being able to "take" some bennies.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
No, if your ticket class is below W, the GPU button will be greyed out on the reservations upgrade page. GPU are fare restricted to W and above. You can upgrade a ticket below W with miles and copay $$.

GPU are not fare restricted if the PNR is fully domestic/RPU eligible.
I don't think this is true for RPU

It's not 4/15 yet and even after 4/15 so long as PN is available you should bE able to use RPU and GPU. The issue is with wait listing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2015 at 10:59 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a GPU on an Island Hopper (HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM) flying next week (Friday April 3rd) and it still hasn't cleared. It's an H Fare..

I see that there is J on all flights except for TKK-GUM

Will I clear each flight individually at the gate? Or because it's booked as a through flight, if there's no space on all the flights, Will I not get an upgrade at all?

Can I ask the agent to split it up the segments?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by slickvik
It's not 4/15 yet and even after 4/15 so long as PN is available you should bE able to use RPU and GPU. The issue is with wait listing.
That's inaccurate in several ways.

Flights booked now but departing after 4/15 are already subject to the new rule.

And the rule applies not just to waitlisting, but other inherited perks. Including, apparently, the ability to use a GS GPU to upgrade an award ticket for someone else (although will need more data points to conclude this is truly going to be the rule).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.