Wiki Posts
Search

United then ? in India

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
United then ? in India

Just in the planning stages for a trip to India and wondering about Star Alliance relationships there after arriving on UA. I understand Jet and Qatar earn from 50% up depending on ticket code. True in practice? Also, as Star Gold do the normal benefits apply with them, lounge access, luggage limits and so on? Thanks, a search didn't turn up much.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:49 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by gonezen
Just in the planning stages for a trip to India and wondering about Star Alliance relationships there after arriving on UA. I understand Jet and Qatar earn from 50% up depending on ticket code. True in practice? Also, as Star Gold do the normal benefits apply with them, lounge access, luggage limits and so on? Thanks, a search didn't turn up much.
On Jet Airways, you can earn 0 to 150% of mileage, depending on your fare class. See
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...spx?ItemId=437

Jet offers no lounge access if you fly coach, and unfortunately no *G benefits at all in any class.

Luggage allowance will be based on your fare class. See http://www.jetairways.com/EN/US/Bagg...llowances.aspx

I did a Jet-UA connection in January, HYD-DXB on Jet and DXB-IAD-SEA on UA. I would avoid connections in BOM until their new airport terminal is finished. See FT's Airlines of India forum for more info.

Qatar doesn't fly within India, and you will not be able to earn MP credit on any Qatar flight beginning on Sept 15.

Last edited by uwr; Jul 28, 2012 at 5:56 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:54 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Where in India? It makes a difference. Also, what's your outbound airport?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
Thx. Delhi to Kathmandu and Mumbai to Dubai. I guess I should have said international.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Not impressed with Jet.

I actually flew them once, and as not impressed. Their drink service consisted of a six-ounce bottle of water. Really? What am I supposed to do with that? Wash my hands?

I also tried IndiGo. Service was not bad, but food was terrible, among the worst I have had on any carrier, anywhere. I had one of their vegetarian sandwiches; it tasted like it was made out of plywood. Don't go there.

You can accumulate MP miles with Jet, but I just don't know if it is worth it. But I really can't recommend Indigo either. And I haven't tried Kingfisher, or the other options yet. Maybe pick Indigo, but skip the food; it is a-la-carte pricing and ordering, anyway.

I have only had a few domestic flights on the subcontinent, and overall, I am not impressed. I think it is a "grin and bear it" type of situation. Just wait and hope for the flight back home.....
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by LEONIDES
I actually flew them once, and as not impressed. Their drink service consisted of a six-ounce bottle of water. Really? What am I supposed to do with that? Wash my hands?

I also tried IndiGo. Service was not bad, but food was terrible, among the worst I have had on any carrier, anywhere. I had one of their vegetarian sandwiches; it tasted like it was made out of plywood. Don't go there.

You can accumulate MP miles with Jet, but I just don't know if it is worth it. But I really can't recommend Indigo either. And I haven't tried Kingfisher, or the other options yet. Maybe pick Indigo, but skip the food; it is a-la-carte pricing and ordering, anyway.

I have only had a few domestic flights on the subcontinent, and overall, I am not impressed. I think it is a "grin and bear it" type of situation. Just wait and hope for the flight back home.....
I've flown Air India, Jet Airways, and Kingfisher. Jet Airways was far and away the best of those 3 in my experience.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:03 pm

A related question. I'm flying to Dehli in Sept. I'll either be on United or LH, in paid business class. Is there a lounge in the airport I can access? I'm gold and I also have a club membership.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I fear some of the FTers above have some outdated information on travel within India.

Some general things to keep in mind:

1. Avoid Kingfisher - the airline is owned by India's Richard Branson (Vijay Mallaya) and he refuses to infuse more capital. Their flights are constantly delayed or canceled. No Indian businessperson will fly them.

2. Avoid anything but IndiGo - every Indian businessperson flies IndiGo. They are a classy LCC with polite, pleasant, non-dinosaur staff. I'm not sure why anyone would buy food on a LCC or mainline - the last time I ordered a wrap on UA it tasted like plastic. IndiGo is almost always on time - the rumor is that the owners (or "promoters" as they are called in India) are in bed with the aviation ministry and pay bribes to make sure their jets get clearance first after ATC delays.

3. Be prepared for Indian domestic travel - almost no flights unless you are going from T3 in DEL will have jet bridges so be prepared to line up and take a bus to your plane (but CDG, IST, and AUH - major connecting airports do this for international too since the jet bridge concept seems not to have made it to most of the world yet).

4. I've flown Air India/Indian, Jet, and IndiGo. Indian and Jet consistently have excellent food on domestic routes but I prefer IndiGo for the reliability and simple pricing models (most Indian domestic flights are refundable after paying a small cancellation fee). India is much smaller than the US and therefore I just don't find the mile earning opportunities to be worth it on Jet - just stick with IndiGo.

5. Use Priority Pass for lounges in India - Indian domestic lounges in DEL, BOM, and BLR are excellent with wonderful food (usually one vegetarian and one non-vegetarian option, full bar, and lots of snack/beverage options) but please note that IndiGo's terminal in BOM has no lounges that are part of Priority Pass but it sounds like you are only flying international out of BOM so you should be fine.

abbydancer - LH has a Senator Lounge in T3 (Level 3, Lounge Area B) after Passport Control (you do this after you check-in your luggage). All the lounges for international departures are in Lounge Area A or B. Paying business class passengers on LH get Senator Lounge access - I'm not sure about DEL - EWR passengers on UA as I do not plan to spend that many hours stuck on a US carrier without a break from the usually surly FAs who have the "seniority" to fly such flights.

You can ALSO access the Plaza Premium Lounge on Level 4 in T3 - I've used this lounge and the international lounges at DEL have multiple hot food options available all day - mostly Indian but some Western options too. If you don't like the food, there is a food court on Level 4 with McDonald's, Dominos, etc.

Last edited by smilinganddialing; Jul 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm Reason: fixing typos
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by abbydancer
A related question. I'm flying to Dehli in Sept. I'll either be on United or LH, in paid business class. Is there a lounge in the airport I can access? I'm gold and I also have a club membership.

Thanks!
In Delhi there's a shared service lounge for all of the airlines so you'll be fine. My favorite part is the white gloved servers!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I've flown Air India, Jet Airways, and Kingfisher. Jet Airways was far and away the best of those 3 in my experience.
ditto here....no free drinks in coach, but great service. they once used a bus to take us between two flights when there was only 5 min. I was impressed. You don't get UA miles if the fares are the lowest fare classes.

I hate Air India. Kingfisher is OK. Some of my friends like spice.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
My family just returned from a trip to India. While there, we flew Jet from Delhi to Bangalore and then back. We were very impressed with Jet from the hassle free boarding to the on board attention and service. We flew in coach and I have no status on Jet.

I did accrue UA MP miles for these Jet segments inside of India.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thx. Delhi to Kathmandu and Mumbai to Dubai. I guess I should have said international.
Ah ktm. Why not Newark to Delhi and then a short hop the next morning to ktm. Jet makes you stop in belgium...and as noted no star benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.