FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   fast track immigration in Sydney? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1371041-fast-track-immigration-sydney.html)

txp Jul 26, 2012 3:41 pm

fast track immigration in Sydney?

If we travel BF from the US to SYD on UA, upon arriving (and departing), do we have access to the fast track immigration lanes?

Thanks!

ric_wx Jul 26, 2012 3:47 pm

I transited SYD on NZ last week and received fast track cards on the inbound in premium Y and on the outbound in regular Y as a *G. I would hope UA is competitive here for J cabin pax.

txp Jul 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ric_wx (Post 19008234)
I transited SYD on NZ last week and received fast track cards on the inbound in premium Y and on the outbound in regular Y as a *G. I would hope UA is competitive here for J cabin pax.

Thanks. Our case is different. Four people (two silver, two GM), but all in BF. Does anyone know the policy for that case?

Jorgen Jul 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by txp (Post 19008182)
If we travel BF from the US to SYD on UA, upon arriving (and departing), do we have access to the fast track immigration lanes?

Thanks!

Do you have an Australian passport?

sannmann Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks!

I flew in C from LAX to SYD in late May. I was given a fast track card on the aircraft. If you are all in C, you should be fine. Not certain about return as I flew back open-jaw from WLG via MEL.

txp Jul 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen (Post 19008267)
Do you have an Australian passport?

No. We are all US.

docbert Jul 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by txp (Post 19008244)
Thanks. Our case is different. Four people (two silver, two GM), but all in BF. Does anyone know the policy for that case?

Yes. Everyone in Business or First (or whatever they are called these days) gets an Express Pass for both arrivals and departures, regardless of status, and regardless of nationality. They are normally handed out with the immigration cards for arrival, and at check-in for departure.

Occasionally 1K's (only!) in Economy will also get them on arrivial, but I think it's more something that the FA's do rather than being an official policy. 1K's (and possibly other elite levels) get them on departure.

For arrival, into Sydney at least, don't presume that the Express Pass line will be quicker than the normal lines. Sometimes it is, but often it isn't - especially if you're an Australian. For departure, given the time that the UA flights leave, the pass is almost worthless - there's rarely more than a few people in time at immigration/security so it doesn't get you much of an advantage (if any).

Jorgen Jul 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 19008732)
Yes. Everyone in Business or First (or whatever they are called these days) gets an Express Pass for both arrivals and departures, regardless of status, and regardless of nationality. They are normally handed out with the immigration cards for arrival, and at check-in for departure.

Occasionally 1K's (only!) in Economy will also get them on arrivial, but I think it's more something that the FA's do rather than being an official policy. 1K's (and possibly other elite levels) get them on departure.

For arrival, into Sydney at least, don't presume that the Express Pass line will be quicker than the normal lines. Sometimes it is, but often it isn't - especially if you're an Australian. For departure, given the time that the UA flights leave, the pass is almost worthless - there's rarely more than a few people in time at immigration/security so it doesn't get you much of an advantage (if any).

As an Australian with a chipped passport, my waiting time at Sydney is now down into the seconds.

Which just means spending twenty minutes standing next to the baggage carousel instead of in the queue at immigration. C'est la vie.

DrDesmo Jul 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks!

You'll be fine, I just flew in this morning on UA 839 in the BF cabin and was handed an express card with my customs declaration. ^^

G'day from Darling Harbor!

Cheers,
Adam

txp Jul 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by DrDesmo (Post 19008843)
You'll be fine, I just flew in this morning on UA 839 in the BF cabin and was handed an express card with my customs declaration. ^^

G'day from Darling Harbor!

Cheers,
Adam

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. We are looking forward to our grand tour of Australia. That is, if we don't have to deal with snake bites, stingers, sharks, crocodiles, or other local excitements! :-)

mmack Jul 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by txp (Post 19008902)
Thanks. I appreciate the reply. We are looking forward to our grand tour of Australia. That is, if we don't have to deal with snake bites, stingers, sharks, crocodiles, or other local excitements! :-)

We love that where ever we go in Australia the local folk assure us that their regional poisionous varmints are THE WORST EVER!!! Never seen one yet though:)

A note: when you depart SYD be sure you fill out the green departure form: the Agent at the Check In desk will have them when you check your bags. We see lots of people waiting in line and then being told by the Immigration agent to go back, get the form and fill it out.
I keep extras now so I can fill them out before we get to the airport, as they are fairly detailed and two sided.:)