FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1369495-ua-electronic-travel-certificates-etc-q-ok-partners-2-year-life-dec-2022-a.html)

jtet Dec 28, 2016 4:26 pm

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Hi-

I got a voucher for volunteering to take a later flight. If I use this voucher to purchase a flight next year, will that count towards premier qualifying? I'm mostly concerned about PQM's but curious about PQD's as well. Are vouchers essentially the same as out of pocket payment?

On a sub-topic, is there a difference if a voucher is used for all or part of a ticket: Say I have a $400 voucher.
a) I buy a $390 ticket and write off the $10 remaining or...
b) I buy a $700 ticket and pay $300 out of my own pocket.

WineCountryUA Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jtet (Post 27673496)
.... If I use this voucher to purchase a flight next year, will that count towards premier qualifying? I'm mostly concerned about PQM's but curious about PQD's as well. Are vouchers essentially the same as out of pocket payment?....

The ETCs are just the same as any other payment method -- full credit for RDMs, PQDs, PQMs, lifetime miles, ....

Way in the distance past when VDBs were "free tickets", those were not mileage earning -- but those have been gone for many years.

jtet Dec 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks, WineCountry!

GretelNick Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27671607)
Was the ETC greater than the fare of one passenger? Applying ETC for a single passenger on a multi-passenger PNR has been standard.

Yes, the ETC covered both pax completely. (Leaving some credit left over. As in: the ETC before the purchase was greater than the total of the two fares.)

I didn't expect it to work based on what I've read here on FT. I was surprised when nothing was due.

helvetic Jan 1, 2017 4:15 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27668524)
No, has to go the two ticket approach. Note the second ticket does not have to be the original person.

So another alternative, is instead of one PNR, two people. Book the travel for two people on two PNRs. Book the first ticket and then use the remainder of the ETC for the second ticket / PNR.

An ETC can be used on a ticket for anyone, not just the person to whom it was given. You're thinking of the remainder value of a cancelled ticket. That remains on the reservation until you have a use for it; at which point any remainder will be given to you on an ETC which can be used on anyone.

For example, say you cancel a $1700 ticket for person X; you could buy a $50 SFO-LAS one-way for person X and you'd be given a $1650 ETC that you can use on anyone.

Kryssa Jan 7, 2017 2:38 pm

Electronic Travel Certificate

Hi All,

Is there a way to add the $500 ETC I received as a voluntary bump to my travel bank (or MilagePlus account in another way?)

I'll be traveling with an open itinerary starting next month (which was the motivation behind volunteering for the $500) but don't want to have to bring this cardstock certificate around with me. Just seems to easy to forget about or even lose.

Thanks,
Blake

laxmillenial Jan 7, 2017 2:41 pm

Not to my knowledge. I've taken a photo of mine and stored it accordingly digitally until I needed to use it.

Just take a photo of it on your phone?

WineCountryUA Jan 7, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 27722055)
... Just take a photo of it on your phone?

or record the key numbers in a file?

Originally Posted by Kryssa (Post 27722047)
... Is there a way to add the $500 ETC I received as a voluntary bump to my travel bank (or MilagePlus account in another way?) ...

No

hpdasd Jan 8, 2017 3:22 am

Recently went in and changed a reservation that had been completely paid for with an ETC... the new ticket was significantly less than the original. The UA website said I'd be given the fare difference (minus the change fee, of course) on an ETC. 24hrs pass and I hadn't received anything. I called into customer service and was told that a new pin would be mailed to me in 7-10 business days. The agent refused to give me the new ETC pin over the phone for security/ fraud reasons. I'd like to use the ETC on a new booking asap before the prices jump. Is this standard practice.. an ETC via snail mail?

br2k Jan 8, 2017 9:52 am

Yes, standard practice as far as I can tell. On a recent refund I received the new ETC later. It was sent by email (although they did say "by mail" on the phone), and it took about a week.

Also wanted to use it asap, but could not - so had to use it on the next reservation.

Mary2e Jan 8, 2017 10:42 am

I wish there were, particularly since the mess with getting mine and UA emailing them to someone besides me :( Now I periodically check them to make sure they haven't been drained. If they were in my account I wouldn't have to worry about it.

televisor Jan 9, 2017 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by GretelNick (Post 27673999)
Yes, the ETC covered both pax completely. (Leaving some credit left over. As in: the ETC before the purchase was greater than the total of the two fares.)

I didn't expect it to work based on what I've read here on FT. I was surprised when nothing was due.

I've had the same experience: an ETC from a cancelled+rebooked PNR: I'd already booked one (cheap-ish) flight for myself with that ETC, and then successfully booked a 2-passenger domestic flight, using only the ETC for payment (the ETC still has some value left after that booking).

Wen66 Jan 16, 2017 1:31 pm

UA certificate

Hi,
I got 2 $200 (my wife and I) certificate because flight canceled. Can I use both certificates on one ticket or I have to use them on separate tickets?

Thanks,

lilpisher Jan 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Only one per passenger on the ticket (e.g., you can't combine two certs for the same person on the same itin). You can use them if you book two one-ways for the same person.

Wen66 Jan 16, 2017 1:47 pm

thanks, very useful information. I am looking for 2 one way now.

any destination suggestions for one way $200 tickets? from Toronto area ( I can drive to buffalo for flight).

Thanks,