Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*NEW* Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Originally Posted by DELee
Link to Travel Credit Lookup by E-mail Page:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Note: page first shows FFCs; scroll down further for ETCs.

David
Update 30 Aug 2021
We’re extending electronic certificatesTo give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020. All electronic certificates due to expire prior to December 31, 2022, will be extended until December 31, 2022.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in COVID19 Schedule Change (6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA resisting refunds, DOT ruling

Checking the balance: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/default.aspx
Enter type (see below) and PIN as a single code without any spaces. Then the page will say it couldn't find anything and offer you a place to enter your last name. Note, will show remaining value but not expiration date,

What does "type" mean? Good question. See the following answer from post 670:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In most cases this will be 20TCVA or 19TCVA (from 2019)

On the ETC , this is labeled as Promotion Code

There are other types but rarer
​​​​​
Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs) / vouchers can only be used for travel on an entirely UA/UX operated paid itinerary.
Late August 2021 Now useable on partner and codeshare itins!
ETCs can now be used to pay pre-paid baggage fees.
Not valid when there are partner flights or any segment that uses partner metal.
Cannot be used to pay award flight fees.
Cannot be used for E+ fees, WiFi fees, UA subscriptions (Wifi, E+ fees, UC membership, ...), upgrades fees (but OK for up-fares), change fees, ....
ETC can be used by anyone with the PIN and last name of the original person receiving the ETC.
If not fully used the residual can be used later with the same original expiration.
ETCs will be used for the total amount needed (no partial payments if the ETC has a greater value)

TVCA certs with PINs (by far the most common ecert most customers will receive -- such as goodwill compensation from Customer Care or refunds on flights) are considered a form of payment and don't reduce the PQDs PQP earnings.. So the full value of the ticket is earned, no reduction
Originally Posted by cfischer
Expiration -- ETCs generally have a 1 2-year life. The ETC should be used prior to expiration -- but the actual travel days can be after expiration. While not publically documented, it does appear ETCs have a 30 day (one month?) post-expiration grace period.

How do I use the ETC?
Online works fine or you can call and used an agent (a fee may apply)

Online, either select "all search" options and scroll to the bottom of the screen to enter
or
wait until you get to the Payment Options at the end of the purchasing steps and select "United payment types"
Enter pin code (7 or 10 digits) and Last Name on the ETC

Where online can I view my unused ETCs?
You cannot. No such listing is available. UA now displays some ETCs in Your Account (May 2020)
Reports suggest ETCs from flight credits seem to be displayed but customer service ETCs are not.
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
You can call and ask an agent to look these up for you. Note agents will not provide the ETC PIN on the phone.

Can an ETC be used for covering the costs of a post-purchase upfare?
Multiple reports of success but one mentioned it would need to be the sole method of payment.
Can only be done by an agent -- not online
Can not be an upgrade fee, must be an upfare.

Can an ETC be used to UC membership or E+ access fee or change fee or award fee or upgrade co-pay or baggage fee or ...
ETCs can only be used for airfare, not for any fee
August 2020 - ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Can I partially use an ETC and then pay the remainder with a credit card (to get the card's benefits)?
No, the ETC must be fully used (up to the needed amount). Only if the ETC is insufficient, can a credit card then be used.

If I make a booking with an ETC and then cancel -- what happens?
Normally it would just stay as flight credit. If refunded, it goes back to the original ETC (recent reports suggest a new ETC is now issued). If that has expired, it gets tricky, UA may create a new ETC -- this situation generally takes manual handling. It does not get converted to cash

How many ETCs can be used at one time?
There is a limit of one ETC per passenger. If you have multiple passengers on the PNR, you can apply 1 ETC each ( does not have to be the same value ETC nor does ETC to be applied to every passenger). (Recent reports suggest the use of multiple ETCs per passenger). If you have more ETCs than passengers, you can now combine ETCs. You can also use one-ways to double the number of opportunities to use ETCs vs roundtrips.
Combinability update July 2017 - ETCs can be combined (either a new ETC created with the expiration date of the earliest-expiring ETC or multiple ETCs used on a PNR). Appears will only combine ETC if you need to do this to book a flight. Initially, UA seemed to allow the combining for future use but most reports now suggest you need to also have a flight booking in mind using the new combined ETC.
Combinability update June 2020 - ETCs can be combined at the website payment screen without calling (see post 690)

Related threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one? {out-of-date -- see not above}

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Using ETCs in Canada (outside of US) on new United.com

Archive: UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm sure it's explained in detail somewhere above in the almost 1,400 posts, so please forgive the repetition, but I've never used ETC's before:

Say I cancel one trip and get an $800 ETC. Then cancel a different trip and get a $600 ETC. So $1,400 total.

Can I:

1) use them on a future $200 trip, and an additional future $1,200 trip?

2) combine them on a future $2,000 trip and add $600 more money?

I'm still hoping for a cash refund (flights not cancelled yet) on one trip, but if it doesn't happen thinking ETC's might not be the worst possible alternative.

Thanks for your patience, this is all new territory for me.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm sure it's explained in detail somewhere above in the almost 1,400 posts, so please forgive the repetition, but I've never used ETC's before:

Say I cancel one trip and get an $800 ETC. Then cancel a different trip and get a $600 ETC. So $1,400 total.

Can I:

1) use them on a future $200 trip, and an additional future $1,200 trip?

2) combine them on a future $2,000 trip and add $600 more money?

I'm still hoping for a cash refund (flights not cancelled yet) on one trip, but if it doesn't happen thinking ETC's might not be the worst possible alternative.

Thanks for your patience, this is all new territory for me.
Yes to both, but as things work now you'll have to call whenever you use more than one ETC on a single trip.

edit: here is the thread with more information on combining, although it has morphed in focus a bit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...year-life.html. Take a look at the wiki.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
So I canceled a trip and I have what it says is a future flight credit. Is this a ETC. I am trying to use it to upfare will I need to convert it to a ETC first.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
So I canceled a trip and I have what it says is a future flight credit. Is this a ETC. I am trying to use it to upfare will I need to convert it to a ETC first.
No, a future flight credit is not the same as an ETC. United has announced that people will be able to convert future flight credits to ETCs, but I don't believe that functionality is online yet. You could try calling.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Yes to both, but as things work now you'll have to call whenever you use more than one ETC on a single trip.

edit: here is the thread with more information on combining, although it has morphed in focus a bit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...year-life.html. Take a look at the wiki.
Thanks, I didn't realize there was this other thread (I was originally on the covid thread and got moved). This thread is very helpful.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Spoke with UA today to get the status on 6 of 20 trips I've had to cancel. I've gotten 14 ETCs back, but 6 are stuck somewhere. Long story short, the 6 are stuck in an ETC queue that requires some kind of manual processing. As of today, they have processed up to March 18 in that queue. So looks like there is still a significant backlog.

The other thing I learned is the system that consolidates multiple ETCs into a single ETC has the ability to process a max of 10 at a time.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Spoke with UA today to get the status on 6 of 20 trips I've had to cancel. I've gotten 14 ETCs back, but 6 are stuck somewhere. Long story short, the 6 are stuck in an ETC queue that requires some kind of manual processing. As of today, they have processed up to March 18 in that queue. So looks like there is still a significant backlog.

The other thing I learned is the system that consolidates multiple ETCs into a single ETC has the ability to process a max of 10 at a time.
Yikes! So the wait could be significantly longer than 5 days... Thanks for reporting back.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:18 am

When using ETCs, can I use one of a relative but with a different surname?

Or does the surname have to match the passenger's?

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AI93
When using ETCs, can I use one of a relative but with a different surname?

Or does the surname have to match the passenger's?

Thanks!
ETCs can be used for travel by anyone.
AI93 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Applied for a ETC a couple days ago agent said it would come within the hour. Should I be worried?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Applied for a ETC a couple days ago agent said it would come within the hour. Should I be worried?
Within the hour is impossible given UA's new ETC process. Expect within 5-15 days depending whether the ETC requires manual processing. I've gotten most (75%) back within 5 days. Rest have taken longer.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:13 pm

I have 2 one way ticket - Value is $85 and $100.

If I choose the Electronic certificate, will it be 2 ETC or will the $185 be combined as 1 ETC?

Also, if it is 2 ETC and I later book a flight for $40 on the $85 ETC value, will I still have $45 left on the ETC?

If I later book a flight for $250 RT, can I apply both the $85 and $100 and pay the rest by credit card?

Last edited by metoo; Apr 11, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Within the hour is impossible given UA's new ETC process. Expect within 5-15 days depending whether the ETC requires manual processing. I've gotten most (75%) back within 5 days. Rest have taken longer.
Would like to share my experience today. Was deciding if I should do ETC or FFC. After reading this thread, I decided to choose ETC and be ready to wait for at least five days. A big surprise is that I got ETC from United to my email account almost immediately after I clicked cancel button and chose ETC on my iPad United App.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by metoo
I have 2 one way ticket - Value is $85 and $100.

If I choose the Electronic certificate, will it be 2 ETC or will the $185 be combined as 1 ETC? ...
If seperate tickets, it will be two
But you can later ask for multiple ETCs to be combined
Note only one ETC can be used per passenger on one reservation,

if it is 2 ETC and I later book a flight for $40 on the $85 ETC value, will I still have $45 left on the ETC?
Yes
,...If I later book a flight for $250 RT, can I apply both the $85 and $100 and pay the rest by credit card?
Not directly, the ETCs will need to be combined first. Only one ETC can be used per passenger on one reservation,
Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Would like to share my experience today. Was deciding if I should do ETC or FFC. After reading this thread, I decided to choose ETC and be ready to wait for at least five days. A big surprise is that I got ETC from United to my email account almost immediately after I clicked cancel button and chose ETC on my iPad United App.
Just to be sure, in general you will get your ETC instantly if you don't encounter any problems over the web/app. But there are situations where the UA online bombs out or others, then you will have to call and play a waiting game (I have gotten most of mine, including one this morning after a 5 day wait, still have one outstanding).

Originally Posted by radiowell
I still think it is a little odd to be able to get an instant ETC if everything goes right on the website, but forces us to wait 5+ days if they have a technical issue or if we are in a situation where we must call to retrieve an ETC (through no fault of our own)...
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.