Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*NEW* Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Originally Posted by DELee
Link to Travel Credit Lookup by E-mail Page:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Note: page first shows FFCs; scroll down further for ETCs.

David
Update 30 Aug 2021
We’re extending electronic certificatesTo give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020. All electronic certificates due to expire prior to December 31, 2022, will be extended until December 31, 2022.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in COVID19 Schedule Change (6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA resisting refunds, DOT ruling

Checking the balance: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/default.aspx
Enter type (see below) and PIN as a single code without any spaces. Then the page will say it couldn't find anything and offer you a place to enter your last name. Note, will show remaining value but not expiration date,

What does "type" mean? Good question. See the following answer from post 670:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In most cases this will be 20TCVA or 19TCVA (from 2019)

On the ETC , this is labeled as Promotion Code

There are other types but rarer
​​​​​
Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs) / vouchers can only be used for travel on an entirely UA/UX operated paid itinerary.
Late August 2021 Now useable on partner and codeshare itins!
ETCs can now be used to pay pre-paid baggage fees.
Not valid when there are partner flights or any segment that uses partner metal.
Cannot be used to pay award flight fees.
Cannot be used for E+ fees, WiFi fees, UA subscriptions (Wifi, E+ fees, UC membership, ...), upgrades fees (but OK for up-fares), change fees, ....
ETC can be used by anyone with the PIN and last name of the original person receiving the ETC.
If not fully used the residual can be used later with the same original expiration.
ETCs will be used for the total amount needed (no partial payments if the ETC has a greater value)

TVCA certs with PINs (by far the most common ecert most customers will receive -- such as goodwill compensation from Customer Care or refunds on flights) are considered a form of payment and don't reduce the PQDs PQP earnings.. So the full value of the ticket is earned, no reduction
Originally Posted by cfischer
Expiration -- ETCs generally have a 1 2-year life. The ETC should be used prior to expiration -- but the actual travel days can be after expiration. While not publically documented, it does appear ETCs have a 30 day (one month?) post-expiration grace period.

How do I use the ETC?
Online works fine or you can call and used an agent (a fee may apply)

Online, either select "all search" options and scroll to the bottom of the screen to enter
or
wait until you get to the Payment Options at the end of the purchasing steps and select "United payment types"
Enter pin code (7 or 10 digits) and Last Name on the ETC

Where online can I view my unused ETCs?
You cannot. No such listing is available. UA now displays some ETCs in Your Account (May 2020)
Reports suggest ETCs from flight credits seem to be displayed but customer service ETCs are not.
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
You can call and ask an agent to look these up for you. Note agents will not provide the ETC PIN on the phone.

Can an ETC be used for covering the costs of a post-purchase upfare?
Multiple reports of success but one mentioned it would need to be the sole method of payment.
Can only be done by an agent -- not online
Can not be an upgrade fee, must be an upfare.

Can an ETC be used to UC membership or E+ access fee or change fee or award fee or upgrade co-pay or baggage fee or ...
ETCs can only be used for airfare, not for any fee
August 2020 - ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Can I partially use an ETC and then pay the remainder with a credit card (to get the card's benefits)?
No, the ETC must be fully used (up to the needed amount). Only if the ETC is insufficient, can a credit card then be used.

If I make a booking with an ETC and then cancel -- what happens?
Normally it would just stay as flight credit. If refunded, it goes back to the original ETC (recent reports suggest a new ETC is now issued). If that has expired, it gets tricky, UA may create a new ETC -- this situation generally takes manual handling. It does not get converted to cash

How many ETCs can be used at one time?
There is a limit of one ETC per passenger. If you have multiple passengers on the PNR, you can apply 1 ETC each ( does not have to be the same value ETC nor does ETC to be applied to every passenger). (Recent reports suggest the use of multiple ETCs per passenger). If you have more ETCs than passengers, you can now combine ETCs. You can also use one-ways to double the number of opportunities to use ETCs vs roundtrips.
Combinability update July 2017 - ETCs can be combined (either a new ETC created with the expiration date of the earliest-expiring ETC or multiple ETCs used on a PNR). Appears will only combine ETC if you need to do this to book a flight. Initially, UA seemed to allow the combining for future use but most reports now suggest you need to also have a flight booking in mind using the new combined ETC.
Combinability update June 2020 - ETCs can be combined at the website payment screen without calling (see post 690)

Related threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one? {out-of-date -- see not above}

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Using ETCs in Canada (outside of US) on new United.com

Archive: UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Thank you.
But you could use the ETC to buy a P fare, which might not be much more than the E+ and bag fees combined, depending on your route.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:31 am

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious but really confused about what I can use the ETC on....

was as just doing some random dummy bookings -

LHR-EWR
DUB-EWR
DUB-IAD rtn and had no problem applying the ETC.

Then thought about possibly using it for domestic travel within the US - and this is where I got confused.

Tried EWR -MSY and was given no option to use cert. this was replicated across many other routes (both rtn and one ways).

However, some routes did allow me to enter the code. From memory IAD - ORD and EWR - LAX. Both searched as one ways.

So, is there some rules about fare codes I should know or just a glitch on the site?

havent got got any firm plans yet but before I make any, would be good to know what I'm doing wrong....

Last edited by Hawes7701; Mar 23, 2017 at 6:33 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
Not sure if I'm missing something obvious but really confused about what I can use the ETC on....

was as just doing some random dummy bookings -

LHR-EWR
DUB-EWR
DUB-IAD rtn and had no problem applying the ETC.

Then thought about possibly using it for domestic travel within the US - and this is where I got confused.

Tried EWR -MSY and was given no option to use cert. this was replicated across many other routes (both rtn and one ways).

However, some routes did allow me to enter the code. From memory IAD - ORD and EWR - LAX. Both searched as one ways.

So, is there some rules about fare codes I should know or just a glitch on the site?

havent got got any firm plans yet but before I make any, would be good to know what I'm doing wrong....
I'm pretty sure you can only use them on itineraries with all legs on United/United Express metal. Is it possible you were looking at routes that included legs on partners?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Michilander
I'm pretty sure you can only use them on itineraries with all legs on United/United Express metal. Is it possible you were looking at routes that included legs on partners?
no. I did think that but some were direct flights, some were 1 stop but all united metal. Even filtered out all partners to only show UA flights.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:17 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
3-7 days to get an ETC email now?

Tonight I changed an old ticket which left me with funds available for use via an ETC. Normally when I do that I get an ETC email almost immediately with the amount, promo code, and cert pin. This evening I did not receive that so after ~three hours I called the 1K line where they confirmed the available funds, told me they could no longer give me the ETC info over the phone (ok that is fine) but oddly said it would take 3-7 days for the email she requested to get to me with the ETC info. That seems like a longtime; so I am curious what part of the process with UA takes so long? (Yes I can call the 1K line and use the funds anytime for new tickets-just curious about the 'new' process.)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Tonight I changed an old ticket which left me with funds available for use via an ETC. Normally when I do that I get an ETC email almost immediately with the amount, promo code, and cert pin. This evening I did not receive that so after ~three hours I called the 1K line where they confirmed the available funds, told me they could no longer give me the ETC info over the phone (ok that is fine) but oddly said it would take 3-7 days for the email she requested to get to me with the ETC info. That seems like a longtime; so I am curious what part of the process with UA takes so long? (Yes I can call the 1K line and use the funds anytime for new tickets-just curious about the 'new' process.)
IME, whenever I've gotten an ETC from customer care (I.e., after sending in something on the feedback site), they usually send me a letter noting that an ETC will be coming, I think it usually says within 10 days. While that is what they say, i have always gotten it within 24-48 hours or so. Don't know why, that just seems to be the way it is.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:37 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by emcampbe
IME, whenever I've gotten an ETC from customer care (I.e., after sending in something on the feedback site), they usually send me a letter noting that an ETC will be coming, I think it usually says within 10 days. While that is what they say, i have always gotten it within 24-48 hours or so. Don't know why, that just seems to be the way it is.
thanks (sorry I missed this thread, thanks for moving my question).
I've never gotten an ETC from customer care (always take the miles) but
normally the emails with the ETCs I get for leftover funds after changes are automatic so having to call customer care was out-of-the-norm, at least for me. Hopefully the email comes soon. I just prefer to book my own without having to call customer care to use it. It is also a large amount so that might be a reason too. thanks to experts at FT as always!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
ETC Redeemed on Res Canceled within 24 hrs; Cust Care claims value is lost.

I booked a reservation in February, paid for it with an ETC, and canceled it a few hours later. I noticed later that I hadn't received any email about the ETC, but forgot to follow up at the time.

I booked a new reservation last week and was surprised to find it had less than $100 remaining, rather than the $400 it should have had. I spent an hour and a half talking to various levels of phone agents and was finally told they couldn't find the certificate and I should ask Customer Care for help. I wrote in, requesting a new ETC for the lost balance, with an extended expiration date, plus miles to compensate for my trouble sorting out United's mistake.

Today I received a reply from Customer Care. Although they have issued a new ETC for the lost balance, they also make a claim which isn't supported by the certificate's T&C:
Normally, if you use your certificate and then change your mind, your ticket is refundable within 24 hours, but you loose the certificate.
(This certificate is non-refundable and cannot be applied toward the purchase of another ticket. Please know that if you use the certificate and decide to cancel your reservation, it will no longer be valid.)
The terms and conditions are written clearly. Nowhere is the odd restriction in parentheses mentioned. None of the three phone agents I talked to (an agent, a supervisor, and a manager) mentioned it. They had no idea why the certificate hadn't been refunded.

I wonder whether the stated restriction is valid and, if not, whether my issue merits a DOT complaint.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:54 pm

Warning: UA policy change on ETC. Now non-refundable on res canceled within 24 hrs.

I've just filed a DOT complaint on this issue as UA is clearly violating the 24-hour cancellation rule. I thought I'd give FTers a heads-up as well.

In February I used an ETC to pay for a reservation for flights booked more then seven days before the travel date. I canceled the reservation the same day but didn't receive a refund.

I did eventually receive a new ETC for the missing balance, but Customer Care insists this is a courtesy contrary to their policy. They quoted the following text as if it were part of the ETC's Terms and Conditions: "This certificate is non-refundable and cannot be applied toward the purchase of another ticket. Please know that if you use the certificate and decide to cancel your reservation, it will no longer be valid." (This text is neither on the printed ETC I was redeeming nor on the emailed one replacing the lost balance.)

So this is a heads up that, should you cancel a reservation paid for with an ETC, you may be committing to spending a delightful couple of hours chatting with agents and emailing Customer Care to get your balance refunded.

So far I haven't received any compensation for my time except that the replacement ETC was extended ten months beyond the original one's expiration date.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:03 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think UA is often willing to return/refund/re-activate the ETC used, and your experience with how long it takes to get it reissued is a good caution.

But to say that they are "clearly" violating the 24 hour cancellation regulation rule is a leap. The regulation calls for the ability for the passenger to cancel and receive a refund to the original form of payment. Whether the ETC counts as a payment or a discount offered by the airline is vague - and the regs do not get that specific about such cases: https://www.transportation.gov/sites...20130530_0.pdf

I would just exercise caution in the future about using these when there may be a need to cancel, given that it could go either way if you need to get it back.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ajGoes
So far I haven't received any compensation for my time except that the replacement ETC was extended ten months beyond the original one's expiration date.
And that's more than you should have received. Since you want to go by the book, your new ETC should have the exact same expiration as your original.

Note there are (or at least used to be) two different types of ETC - one was payment and the other acted like a coupon. It sounds like the agent may have assumed yours was one of the latter.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Not exactly sure this is a change per se — the "24-hour flexible booking policy" page (https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng-policy.aspx) states:

Terms and conditions
[...]
Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.
And I'm pretty sure this line has been there since last October/November when I checked the policy while trying to use one of my ETCs. (Long story but was booking a Y ticket and hoping for a TOD offer after purchase, else was intending to just cancel and rebook F, but when I saw this line realized it wouldn't work)

Of course this doesn't address the point as to whether it's against DOT regulations or not, but this has been UA policy for a while.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TA
But to say that they are "clearly" violating the 24 hour cancellation regulation rule is a leap. The regulation calls for the ability for the passenger to cancel and receive a refund to the original form of payment. Whether the ETC counts as a payment or a discount offered by the airline is vague - and the regs do not get that specific about such cases: https://www.transportation.gov/sites...20130530_0.pdf
At least for ETCs - the one with the [YY]TCVA codes, then a PIN, there is no question - it is a form of Payment and clearly listed on the UA website as such. You use it when they ask for the payment, and is listed as under 'United payment types'

Im not sure how UA could argue that reservations paid for using an ETC would be exempt from the DOT policy - it is clearly a form of payment. Replacement ETCs aren't generally available immediately upon cancelation, but then again, refunds take a week to come back to a CC, so those aren't immediately available either.

I just opened the terms of the one I was sent yesterday, and terms don't seem materially different than the last time, and don't reflect the language OP says the agent said is there.

Im guessing this isn't a case of a policy or terms change, but either a single misinformed agent, or one who misunderstood the OP, or who for some reason was referring to something different than the OP was referring to.

At a huge company with thousands of employees, there are always a few who aren't well informed or who miss something. Let's not get into another round of 'this is a new policy because one employee told me this'. This is almost always not the case.

Originally Posted by truncated
Not exactly sure this is a change per se — the "24-hour flexible booking policy" page (https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ng-policy.aspx) states:

Terms and conditions
[...]
Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.
I don't think this means what you think it is. I'm guessing this is a holdover from pre-merger UA (at least I haven't seen one since the merger), which were the paper based e-certificates. Those are not a form of payment, and were in fact treated like coupons. Even when PQDs came out, the site specified those wouldn't count toward PQD, but as far as I could tell, they were long gone before then.

Last edited by emcampbe; Apr 22, 2017 at 5:48 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
At least for ETCs - the one with the [YY]TCVA codes, then a PIN, there is no question - it is a form of Payment and clearly listed on the UA website as such. You use it when they ask for the payment, and is listed as under 'United payment types'

Im not sure how UA could argue that reservations paid for using an ETC would be exempt from the DOT policy - it is clearly a form of payment. Replacement ETCs aren't generally available immediately upon cancelation, but then again, refunds take a week to come back to a CC, so those aren't immediately available either.

I just opened the terms of the one I was sent yesterday, and terms don't seem materially different than the last time, and don't reflect the language OP says the agent said is there.

Im guessing this isn't a case of a policy or terms change, but either a single misinformed agent, or one who misunderstood the OP, or who for some reason was referring to something different than the OP was referring to.

At a huge company with thousands of employees, there are always a few who aren't well informed or who miss something. Let's not get into another round of 'this is a new policy because one employee told me this'. This is almost always not the case.
Thanks. The customer care agent I've been corresponding with insists the policy she quoted is the right one: "Our rules indicate that you are unable to get the certificate back once it is used." However, none of the reservationists I've talked to about my issue had ever heard of this policy. The DOT says "...the Department’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) considers... the failure to offer a passenger a full refund in the original form of payment in the event of a cancellation request covered by the 24-hour reservation requirement to be an unfair and deceptive practice." I have noticed that ETCs are not shown as a method of payment on UA receipts; I wonder if someone at UA imagines that leaving them off and making the customer guess where the payment came from will leave the company some wiggle room in this argument.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is pointless to argue with front line agents about what may occur in the future. They do not interpret US law. What will occur in the future is that OP will have a new or reactivated ETC and may purchase a new ticket with that ETC. That new ticket will be governed by DOT rules as they are in effect on the date of purchase.

Should OP make that purchase, should he wish to cancel in accordance with the Rule, and should he be denied a refund having complied with the Rule, then he will have something to complain about.

In the meantime, he is wasting his time and that of UA agents posing hypothetical questions about what may befall him in the future. There is nothing to compensate for. Just stop calling and don't waste taxpayer money at DOT.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 22, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.