Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*NEW* Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Originally Posted by DELee
Link to Travel Credit Lookup by E-mail Page:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Note: page first shows FFCs; scroll down further for ETCs.

David
Update 30 Aug 2021
We’re extending electronic certificatesTo give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020. All electronic certificates due to expire prior to December 31, 2022, will be extended until December 31, 2022.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in COVID19 Schedule Change (6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA resisting refunds, DOT ruling

Checking the balance: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/default.aspx
Enter type (see below) and PIN as a single code without any spaces. Then the page will say it couldn't find anything and offer you a place to enter your last name. Note, will show remaining value but not expiration date,

What does "type" mean? Good question. See the following answer from post 670:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In most cases this will be 20TCVA or 19TCVA (from 2019)

On the ETC , this is labeled as Promotion Code

There are other types but rarer
​​​​​
Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs) / vouchers can only be used for travel on an entirely UA/UX operated paid itinerary.
Late August 2021 Now useable on partner and codeshare itins!
ETCs can now be used to pay pre-paid baggage fees.
Not valid when there are partner flights or any segment that uses partner metal.
Cannot be used to pay award flight fees.
Cannot be used for E+ fees, WiFi fees, UA subscriptions (Wifi, E+ fees, UC membership, ...), upgrades fees (but OK for up-fares), change fees, ....
ETC can be used by anyone with the PIN and last name of the original person receiving the ETC.
If not fully used the residual can be used later with the same original expiration.
ETCs will be used for the total amount needed (no partial payments if the ETC has a greater value)

TVCA certs with PINs (by far the most common ecert most customers will receive -- such as goodwill compensation from Customer Care or refunds on flights) are considered a form of payment and don't reduce the PQDs PQP earnings.. So the full value of the ticket is earned, no reduction
Originally Posted by cfischer
Expiration -- ETCs generally have a 1 2-year life. The ETC should be used prior to expiration -- but the actual travel days can be after expiration. While not publically documented, it does appear ETCs have a 30 day (one month?) post-expiration grace period.

How do I use the ETC?
Online works fine or you can call and used an agent (a fee may apply)

Online, either select "all search" options and scroll to the bottom of the screen to enter
or
wait until you get to the Payment Options at the end of the purchasing steps and select "United payment types"
Enter pin code (7 or 10 digits) and Last Name on the ETC

Where online can I view my unused ETCs?
You cannot. No such listing is available. UA now displays some ETCs in Your Account (May 2020)
Reports suggest ETCs from flight credits seem to be displayed but customer service ETCs are not.
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
You can call and ask an agent to look these up for you. Note agents will not provide the ETC PIN on the phone.

Can an ETC be used for covering the costs of a post-purchase upfare?
Multiple reports of success but one mentioned it would need to be the sole method of payment.
Can only be done by an agent -- not online
Can not be an upgrade fee, must be an upfare.

Can an ETC be used to UC membership or E+ access fee or change fee or award fee or upgrade co-pay or baggage fee or ...
ETCs can only be used for airfare, not for any fee
August 2020 - ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Can I partially use an ETC and then pay the remainder with a credit card (to get the card's benefits)?
No, the ETC must be fully used (up to the needed amount). Only if the ETC is insufficient, can a credit card then be used.

If I make a booking with an ETC and then cancel -- what happens?
Normally it would just stay as flight credit. If refunded, it goes back to the original ETC (recent reports suggest a new ETC is now issued). If that has expired, it gets tricky, UA may create a new ETC -- this situation generally takes manual handling. It does not get converted to cash

How many ETCs can be used at one time?
There is a limit of one ETC per passenger. If you have multiple passengers on the PNR, you can apply 1 ETC each ( does not have to be the same value ETC nor does ETC to be applied to every passenger). (Recent reports suggest the use of multiple ETCs per passenger). If you have more ETCs than passengers, you can now combine ETCs. You can also use one-ways to double the number of opportunities to use ETCs vs roundtrips.
Combinability update July 2017 - ETCs can be combined (either a new ETC created with the expiration date of the earliest-expiring ETC or multiple ETCs used on a PNR). Appears will only combine ETC if you need to do this to book a flight. Initially, UA seemed to allow the combining for future use but most reports now suggest you need to also have a flight booking in mind using the new combined ETC.
Combinability update June 2020 - ETCs can be combined at the website payment screen without calling (see post 690)

Related threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one? {out-of-date -- see not above}

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Using ETCs in Canada (outside of US) on new United.com

Archive: UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Also you can only use it on all UA metal, not on codeshares.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
Have you tried that and succeeded? I have tried and failed before. Combining ETCs with different names not straightforward.
I had no issues combining 3 certs from 3 different names a few weeks ago. However all did have the same surname, just different given names.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Use multiple Travel Certs on one ticket purchase?

Does UA.com allow this?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
Does UA.com allow this?
Need to call (and many agents will want you to have a purchased planned)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:48 pm

Is an ETC usable on the published expiration date? And is it based on Midnight EST or CST or somehow based on time of your origin when you try and book? If your certificate expires 30 Jun 2019, what is the last time you could make a reservation online without calling an agent and using the "grace period"? 23:59 EST June 29, or June 30?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Does UA.com allow this?
Depends how you are defining ‘ticket purchase’. In technical airline speak, that means 1 traveler (since each traveler requires their own ticket), so if that’s what you mean, then no, you can’t use multiple ETCs. If you mean one reservation with multiple travelers, the answer is yes - you can use one ETC per traveler.

Note you can call to combine ETCs, so doing that will allow it to be used on a one-person PNR.

Originally Posted by c5ruzr
Is an ETC usable on the published expiration date? And is it based on Midnight EST or CST or somehow based on time of your origin when you try and book? If your certificate expires 30 Jun 2019, what is the last time you could make a reservation online without calling an agent and using the "grace period"? 23:59 EST June 29, or June 30?
Supposedly, Per reports here, ETCs are actually valid for a month after expiration (might be 30 days), but don’t know if the website sees it that way, or if you have to call. Even so, I’d try and use it by/before the expiration date. If you call in after and they are saying it can’t be accepted, there’s really not a way to argue. Sometimes, it’s just easier to make it easy on yourself.

As per specific expiration time, it’s probably 11:59 pm CST on date of expiration, but again, to avoid issues, I’d use it by 11:59pm on date of expiration in CST or at point of origin, whichever occurs first. Personally, I’d try to use it a couple of days before - in case of any ticketing issues. Just my 2 cents.

Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Leftover Credit & ETC

So I had to cancel a flight and have about $200 credit and I also have a $500 ETC. Does anyone know if I can use the credit and the ETC for one ticket? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by onfinalapproach
So I had to cancel a flight and have about $200 credit and I also have a $500 ETC. Does anyone know if I can use the credit and the ETC for one ticket? Thanks in advance.
sure!
Have to call UA when ready to book and they'll combine the 2.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Originally Posted by onfinalapproach
sure!
Have to call UA when ready to book and they'll combine the 2.
No, A flight credit and ETC is not combinable per se.

If a flight credit (an unused ticket) is used and there is residual, that residual becomes an ETC and that should be combinable. But a flight credit itself is not an ETC.

But the flight credit and ETC can be used together (with some limitations)
You can use the unused ticket to book a new itin (paying a change fee for which an ETC cannot be used) and if it is a more expensive ticket, an ETC can be used for the extra airfare.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:27 pm

If a flight credit (an unused ticket) is used and there is residual, that residual becomes an ETC and that should be combinable. But a flight credit itself is not an ETC.

You can use the unused ticket to book a new itin (paying a change fee for which an ETC cannot be used) and if it is a more expensive ticket, an ETC can be used for the extra airfare.
I I have no idea why but I miss read it the first time I was referring to two electronic certificates.
My bad, sorry.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

Thanks for the reply and the info. Appreciate it.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
When you book with an offline travel agent and they get a MCO - is the change fee still new money or is it netted out of MCO for agency bought tickets?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:13 pm
Suspended

OK so they said no codeshares. Thats means even if at least the TATL segment was on UA metal, you still can't use the ETC?

Or if outbound or return was only UA metal but not both, I wouldn't be able to apply the ETC on that ticket?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
You can't use ETC as soon as there is at least one non-UA flight
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Hmm, so they're useless except for domestic or nonstop international flights then.

Or I could fly TATL to a hub and buy a separate flight to where I really want to go, meaning I use up the savings.

Or I guess I could connect in ORD, IAH or the East Coast airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.