Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*NEW* Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Originally Posted by DELee
Link to Travel Credit Lookup by E-mail Page:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Note: page first shows FFCs; scroll down further for ETCs.

David
Update 30 Aug 2021
We’re extending electronic certificatesTo give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020. All electronic certificates due to expire prior to December 31, 2022, will be extended until December 31, 2022.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in COVID19 Schedule Change (6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA resisting refunds, DOT ruling

Checking the balance: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/default.aspx
Enter type (see below) and PIN as a single code without any spaces. Then the page will say it couldn't find anything and offer you a place to enter your last name. Note, will show remaining value but not expiration date,

What does "type" mean? Good question. See the following answer from post 670:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In most cases this will be 20TCVA or 19TCVA (from 2019)

On the ETC , this is labeled as Promotion Code

There are other types but rarer
​​​​​
Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs) / vouchers can only be used for travel on an entirely UA/UX operated paid itinerary.
Late August 2021 Now useable on partner and codeshare itins!
ETCs can now be used to pay pre-paid baggage fees.
Not valid when there are partner flights or any segment that uses partner metal.
Cannot be used to pay award flight fees.
Cannot be used for E+ fees, WiFi fees, UA subscriptions (Wifi, E+ fees, UC membership, ...), upgrades fees (but OK for up-fares), change fees, ....
ETC can be used by anyone with the PIN and last name of the original person receiving the ETC.
If not fully used the residual can be used later with the same original expiration.
ETCs will be used for the total amount needed (no partial payments if the ETC has a greater value)

TVCA certs with PINs (by far the most common ecert most customers will receive -- such as goodwill compensation from Customer Care or refunds on flights) are considered a form of payment and don't reduce the PQDs PQP earnings.. So the full value of the ticket is earned, no reduction
Originally Posted by cfischer
Expiration -- ETCs generally have a 1 2-year life. The ETC should be used prior to expiration -- but the actual travel days can be after expiration. While not publically documented, it does appear ETCs have a 30 day (one month?) post-expiration grace period.

How do I use the ETC?
Online works fine or you can call and used an agent (a fee may apply)

Online, either select "all search" options and scroll to the bottom of the screen to enter
or
wait until you get to the Payment Options at the end of the purchasing steps and select "United payment types"
Enter pin code (7 or 10 digits) and Last Name on the ETC

Where online can I view my unused ETCs?
You cannot. No such listing is available. UA now displays some ETCs in Your Account (May 2020)
Reports suggest ETCs from flight credits seem to be displayed but customer service ETCs are not.
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
You can call and ask an agent to look these up for you. Note agents will not provide the ETC PIN on the phone.

Can an ETC be used for covering the costs of a post-purchase upfare?
Multiple reports of success but one mentioned it would need to be the sole method of payment.
Can only be done by an agent -- not online
Can not be an upgrade fee, must be an upfare.

Can an ETC be used to UC membership or E+ access fee or change fee or award fee or upgrade co-pay or baggage fee or ...
ETCs can only be used for airfare, not for any fee
August 2020 - ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Can I partially use an ETC and then pay the remainder with a credit card (to get the card's benefits)?
No, the ETC must be fully used (up to the needed amount). Only if the ETC is insufficient, can a credit card then be used.

If I make a booking with an ETC and then cancel -- what happens?
Normally it would just stay as flight credit. If refunded, it goes back to the original ETC (recent reports suggest a new ETC is now issued). If that has expired, it gets tricky, UA may create a new ETC -- this situation generally takes manual handling. It does not get converted to cash

How many ETCs can be used at one time?
There is a limit of one ETC per passenger. If you have multiple passengers on the PNR, you can apply 1 ETC each ( does not have to be the same value ETC nor does ETC to be applied to every passenger). (Recent reports suggest the use of multiple ETCs per passenger). If you have more ETCs than passengers, you can now combine ETCs. You can also use one-ways to double the number of opportunities to use ETCs vs roundtrips.
Combinability update July 2017 - ETCs can be combined (either a new ETC created with the expiration date of the earliest-expiring ETC or multiple ETCs used on a PNR). Appears will only combine ETC if you need to do this to book a flight. Initially, UA seemed to allow the combining for future use but most reports now suggest you need to also have a flight booking in mind using the new combined ETC.
Combinability update June 2020 - ETCs can be combined at the website payment screen without calling (see post 690)

Related threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one? {out-of-date -- see not above}

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Using ETCs in Canada (outside of US) on new United.com

Archive: UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IME, agents (or maybe supervisors, but I think even web support) have technically always had the ability to do it, but the rules don't allow for it for a single passenger. Your post is a bit ambiguous though - at one point you talk about multiple ETCs on a single ticket, which would be new, and at another, on a single reservation, which is not - assuming the number of passengers is => the number of passengers.

While this would undoubtably be a positive thing, without more reports, or a change in T+Cs that the certs come with, which IME always have the one per person restriction, Im skeptical. Perhaps it was an argent who was willing to go above to help someone as opposed to a blanket rule. I'm still staying tuned, though.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by jsloan
There is a similar comment from another poster on the ETC thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28521655-post822.html
Great catch, and good to see that it's also from today. This would support the agent's statement that this functionality is brand new, and can be used for a single passenger's ticket.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Your post is a bit ambiguous though - at one point you talk about multiple ETCs on a single ticket, which would be new, and at another, on a single reservation, which is not - assuming the number of passengers is => the number of passengers.

While this would undoubtably be a positive thing, without more reports, or a change in T+Cs that the certs come with, which IME always have the one per person restriction, Im skeptical.
Please forgive me. I tried to be as specific as I could in my post, but there's always someone on FT who's more specific still. The agent's contention was indeed that as of very recently, multiple ETCs can now be used when purchasing a single ticket for a single person.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by HCGTown
I'm sure you can also ask to receive a new ETC with the combined value of all your ETCs.
I can confirm that this is possible, as I went ahead and did just that.

There's a fairly significant downside though: the new voucher has an expiration date equivalent to the oldest ETC you combined, so don't use the process with one that's expiring soon.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Great news. Truth is, this reverts to how UA used to be able to do things!

Next step I hope will be an online bank for all stored credit.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
WOW, the sky is falling. This is dramatic news! I have 7 ETCs that I have trouble finding suitable tickets for ... now this is all 1 big bad C-class ticket to Europe. Outstanding. Finally some great news after a long drought. Anyone know what the upper limit will be?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Anyone know what the upper limit will be?
Why do you think there would be one?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why do you think there would be one?
agent hanging up on me trying to get all the gazillion digits times 10
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HCGTown
"Yes, you do have the ability now to combine multiple Electronic Travel
Certificates for one reservation. You would need to contact a
reservations agent to have the certificates combined into one
certificate. You will be emailed the new Promo and Pin code. Once
received you can apply the new travel certificate toward future travel
on united.com." ....
Interesting, would how they handle different expiration dates? the shortest date rules? Probably not a issue if you are going to use the new ETC right away but may not be the best to run out and do this with all of your existing ETCs.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Interesting, would how they handle different expiration dates? the shortest date rules? Probably not a issue if you are going to use the new ETC right away but may not be the best to run out and do this with all of your existing ETCs.
As I said above in post 828, "There's a fairly significant downside though: the new voucher has an expiration date equivalent to the oldest ETC you combined, so don't use the process with one that's expiring soon."
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
As I said above in post 828, "There's a fairly significant downside though: the new voucher has an expiration date equivalent to the oldest ETC you combined, so don't use the process with one that's expiring soon."
Thanks for confirming that -- missed that earlier post.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
WOW, the sky is falling. This is dramatic news! I have 7 ETCs that I have trouble finding suitable tickets for ... now this is all 1 big bad C-class ticket to Europe. Outstanding. Finally some great news after a long drought. Anyone know what the upper limit will be?
I do not understand here clearly if various vouchers can be used to book tickets also online or only when calling Call Center?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I do not understand here clearly if various vouchers can be used to book tickets also online ...
Once combined, which will require calling, the new combined ETC should be usable online.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
whoa. gamechanger! perfect timing too, as i have around 6 expiring in september.

now if you could also combine travelbank credit....
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
gamechangah! as they say here in Boston. This will save me from finagling some one ways and short hops to try to use up a few small fry. Thank you United!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I just called to upfare to Z on a flight, intending to use two e-certs to cover some of the difference in fare.

The agent said "Is the amount of the certificate equal to or greater than the total cost of the difference in fare? I cannot go in behind the e-cert to add in a credit card if it is not."

Can anyone confirm whether this indeed is the case when using an e-cert to upfare?

Moderator, please shift to another thread if you think this is more appropriate in the upfare discussion. Since it was related to e-cert experiences, I thought posting here was better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.