Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*NEW* Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Originally Posted by DELee
Link to Travel Credit Lookup by E-mail Page:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Note: page first shows FFCs; scroll down further for ETCs.

David
Update 30 Aug 2021
We’re extending electronic certificatesTo give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020. All electronic certificates due to expire prior to December 31, 2022, will be extended until December 31, 2022.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in COVID19 Schedule Change (6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA resisting refunds, DOT ruling

Checking the balance: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/default.aspx
Enter type (see below) and PIN as a single code without any spaces. Then the page will say it couldn't find anything and offer you a place to enter your last name. Note, will show remaining value but not expiration date,

What does "type" mean? Good question. See the following answer from post 670:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In most cases this will be 20TCVA or 19TCVA (from 2019)

On the ETC , this is labeled as Promotion Code

There are other types but rarer
​​​​​
Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs) / vouchers can only be used for travel on an entirely UA/UX operated paid itinerary.
Late August 2021 Now useable on partner and codeshare itins!
ETCs can now be used to pay pre-paid baggage fees.
Not valid when there are partner flights or any segment that uses partner metal.
Cannot be used to pay award flight fees.
Cannot be used for E+ fees, WiFi fees, UA subscriptions (Wifi, E+ fees, UC membership, ...), upgrades fees (but OK for up-fares), change fees, ....
ETC can be used by anyone with the PIN and last name of the original person receiving the ETC.
If not fully used the residual can be used later with the same original expiration.
ETCs will be used for the total amount needed (no partial payments if the ETC has a greater value)

TVCA certs with PINs (by far the most common ecert most customers will receive -- such as goodwill compensation from Customer Care or refunds on flights) are considered a form of payment and don't reduce the PQDs PQP earnings.. So the full value of the ticket is earned, no reduction
Originally Posted by cfischer
Expiration -- ETCs generally have a 1 2-year life. The ETC should be used prior to expiration -- but the actual travel days can be after expiration. While not publically documented, it does appear ETCs have a 30 day (one month?) post-expiration grace period.

How do I use the ETC?
Online works fine or you can call and used an agent (a fee may apply)

Online, either select "all search" options and scroll to the bottom of the screen to enter
or
wait until you get to the Payment Options at the end of the purchasing steps and select "United payment types"
Enter pin code (7 or 10 digits) and Last Name on the ETC

Where online can I view my unused ETCs?
You cannot. No such listing is available. UA now displays some ETCs in Your Account (May 2020)
Reports suggest ETCs from flight credits seem to be displayed but customer service ETCs are not.
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
You can call and ask an agent to look these up for you. Note agents will not provide the ETC PIN on the phone.

Can an ETC be used for covering the costs of a post-purchase upfare?
Multiple reports of success but one mentioned it would need to be the sole method of payment.
Can only be done by an agent -- not online
Can not be an upgrade fee, must be an upfare.

Can an ETC be used to UC membership or E+ access fee or change fee or award fee or upgrade co-pay or baggage fee or ...
ETCs can only be used for airfare, not for any fee
August 2020 - ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Can I partially use an ETC and then pay the remainder with a credit card (to get the card's benefits)?
No, the ETC must be fully used (up to the needed amount). Only if the ETC is insufficient, can a credit card then be used.

If I make a booking with an ETC and then cancel -- what happens?
Normally it would just stay as flight credit. If refunded, it goes back to the original ETC (recent reports suggest a new ETC is now issued). If that has expired, it gets tricky, UA may create a new ETC -- this situation generally takes manual handling. It does not get converted to cash

How many ETCs can be used at one time?
There is a limit of one ETC per passenger. If you have multiple passengers on the PNR, you can apply 1 ETC each ( does not have to be the same value ETC nor does ETC to be applied to every passenger). (Recent reports suggest the use of multiple ETCs per passenger). If you have more ETCs than passengers, you can now combine ETCs. You can also use one-ways to double the number of opportunities to use ETCs vs roundtrips.
Combinability update July 2017 - ETCs can be combined (either a new ETC created with the expiration date of the earliest-expiring ETC or multiple ETCs used on a PNR). Appears will only combine ETC if you need to do this to book a flight. Initially, UA seemed to allow the combining for future use but most reports now suggest you need to also have a flight booking in mind using the new combined ETC.
Combinability update June 2020 - ETCs can be combined at the website payment screen without calling (see post 690)

Related threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one? {out-of-date -- see not above}

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Using ETCs in Canada (outside of US) on new United.com

Archive: UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
All operated by UA. Flights operated by another airline is the only reason I know of where one cannot use a ETC. Yet the website often tells me I cannot.
I am past 24hrs otherwise I would cancel and rebook.
I guess this customer service agent is mis-informed.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by eng3
All operated by UA. Flights operated by another airline is the only reason I know of where one cannot use a ETC. Yet the website often tells me I cannot.
I am past 24hrs otherwise I would cancel and rebook.
I guess this customer service agent is mis-informed.
Does any segment have a non UA flight number even though it is operated by UA?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Does any segment have a non UA flight number even though it is operated by UA?
UA flight number, UA metal.
I used GPUs on the flights too
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:21 pm

You need to call UA CSR or web support ASAP to sort this out then. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot use your ETC.

Good luck. Please come back and let us know your end result.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Previously purchased itinerary are Ineligible. Applying post purchase is not really allowed even if it worked once. In future create the itin and select pay at airport and call to apply the ETC
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Did you click the search upgradeable fares Box when searching?

wonder if this is the cause of he issue. I feel like there are reports of other weird issues when one does that, not necessarily this.

Also, probably not specific terms to your cert, if it is giving you the the message similar to ‘because of your flight selections, United payment types aren’t available’. There are some that are global to pretty much all ‘United payment types’, like has to be UA operated. But there are likely differences between terms on an ETC, gift certificate, TravelBank, and whatever other options are available that might make one unusable but the other ok - shouldn’t disallow all of them.

Of course, never discount the possibility of an IT bug.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:22 pm

I did use the instruments search option, but I know I've done it before and it allowed me to use at ETC.
Yes, the message was the "because of your flight selections, United payment types aren’t available"
But I just booked a normal UA flight. Nothing special about it other than using a GPU.

Probably an IT bug. An inconsistent one (like their customer service)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did use the instruments search option
I'm pretty sure that was the issue. I've seen the same thing in the past. The "search for upgradeable flights" feature is badly broken. On your next flight, identify the flights that you want, book them without the instrument, and it should allow you to apply the ETC. You can then go into the reservation and use your upgrade certificate as soon as the itinerary tickets.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:46 am

OK that must have been somewhat recent because I book with instruments using the search option everytime and was able to select an ETC in the past. I like the feature because it reduces the risk of R going away while I wait for it to ticket. Slightly off topic, but since the last website UI redesign, I noticed that if I cancel a flight, the instruments do not get automatically deposited. It use to be instant, now I have to call in and it takes like 30min. I had wonder if that was related and whether applying afterwards would work.

Here is the last reply I got after asking them to review my reservation and tell me why:
Thank you for your response.

When booking a reservation using a travel certificate as a form of payment you are not able to select any offers, including seats, until after the reservation is ticketed. Your selection of flights has to be United/United Express operated flights. If you select seats from the offer, that changes the use of the certificate. The web site is not reviewing your elite status with this offer. If you are not selecting the seats, or insurance, or some other option, we need to have technology review your entries.

Each time you request an exception, it takes an agent two hours to manually reverse one certificate as a result of the number of programs that have to be updated and entries to be reversed for your credit. If the website is not functioning properly for you, we need to determine what the issue is as soon as possible. To search through all your entries several days after the issue takes place is also very time consuming.

If you will call us, at the time the issue occurs, we will process your certificates and prepare a report for technology. Your assistance is greatly appreciated as you are a valued customer and we also want to save you time.
Time to call in.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:53 pm

Time to call in.
Always call immediately if you have an issue.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I cancelled a UA ticket Nov 2017 (booking made Nov 2017 for travel Nov 2017).
I am looking to travel in Oct 2018, the cost of the new itinerary is less than the original. The UA website says i will be issued a refund with a ~$300 electronic travel certificate.
What will the expiry date of the certificate be? Nov 2018 (1 year from original booking)? or Sep 2019 (1 year from new booking)?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I cancelled a UA ticket Nov 2017 (booking made Nov 2017 for travel Nov 2017).
I am looking to travel in Oct 2018, the cost of the new itinerary is less than the original. The UA website says i will be issued a refund with a ~$300 electronic travel certificate.
What will the expiry date of the certificate be? Nov 2018 (1 year from original booking)? or Sep 2019 (1 year from new booking)?
  • You need to pay a change fee, if your original ticket is a non-refundable ticket, with new money
  • Since your new ticket is less than original ticket, UA will give you an Electronic Travel Certificate with a pin number for the difference
  • Validity date is one year from ETC issuance date
  • You can use your ETC to purchase ticket/s for anyone
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
  • You need to pay a change fee, if your original ticket is a non-refundable ticket, with new money
  • Since your new ticket is less than original ticket, UA will give you an Electronic Travel Certificate with a pin number for the difference
  • Validity date is one year from ETC issuance date
  • You can use your ETC to purchase ticket/s for anyone
Thank you for the comprehensive answers!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Thank you for the comprehensive answers!
You are welcome. If you have other ETCs, you can combine them all into one. Which will carry the latest expiration date. That is the best way to extend ETC's validity date.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:40 pm

Just to report back.

They told me they could apply the ETC's, however they would need to cancel my entire reservation and rebook it. They did say they could guarantee my SWUs stay in place. Even with the guarantee, I figure it's safer to just pass and use the ETC's on something else and I was in a hurry and didn't feel like waiting on hold any longer.

They did say it is typically easier to do this within 24hrs.

I got a VM from the agent calling back informing me that she went ahead and combined by two $250 ECTs into one. I think I would have preferred keeping them separate so that I can still get CC benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.