Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I would not believe either statement. Book by 7/13 (note, you don't have to fly by 7/13) to ensure the value isn't lost. And it is only going to be good for the regions it says. IIRC, the correct place to enter the cert is during the initial flight search (use the advanced version) and put it in the "Offer Code" entry.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...offerCode.aspx
Thanks for the link.
It looks the e-certificate is also good for anywhere United flies, no region restrictions attached ^ so the original terms and conditions are wrong...
I hope it will expire 12/31/2014, too... maybe call UA again and ask a different agent about the e-certificate.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:46 pm

Electronic Travel Certificate - Travel After Expiration?

If an electronic travel certificate expires on a given date, is it allowable to travel after the expiration date if the certificate is used before it expires?

Example:

Certificate expires 14 Jan 2014

On 20 Dec 2013, book a trip that departs on 20 Apr 2014.

Has anyone done this?

I searched and was surprised that I didn't find a conversation about this question - would have thought it would be a common question.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mitchmu
If an electronic travel certificate expires on a given date, is it allowable to travel after the expiration date if the certificate is used before it expires?

Example:

Certificate expires 14 Jan 2014

On 20 Dec 2013, book a trip that departs on 20 Apr 2014.

Has anyone done this?

I searched and was surprised that I didn't find a conversation about this question - would have thought it would be a common question.
I believe I have seen a thread somewhere stating this is possible. Probably the most useless feedback you could imagine getting, right?
Old May 27, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Yes, you can. You can easily figure this out by making a dummy booking past the expiration date and applying the ETC to it, but don't finalize the purchase.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K

I've received two types: a certificate via e-mail (which I've used to book flights after the expiration date) and a printed certificate which can use electronically (which specifies a "must travel by date").
Old May 27, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by ddrost1
I believe I have seen a thread somewhere stating this is possible. Probably the most useless feedback you could imagine getting, right?
Perhaps, but I know you have good intentions.

Originally Posted by Antipode
Yes, you can. You can easily figure this out by making a dummy booking past the expiration date and applying the ETC to it, but don't finalize the purchase.
It could still error out after finalizing or, worse, it could accept then reservation could be cancelled. Have you done it? Or got first hand knowledge?

Originally Posted by zigzagg900
I've received two types: a certificate via e-mail (which I've used to book flights after the expiration date) and a printed certificate which can use electronically (which specifies a "must travel by date").
Oddly, mine is paper, but there is no 'must travel by date' on it.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:05 am

Oddly, mine is paper, but there is no 'must travel by date' on it.
The terms and conditions are usually pretty clearly spelled out in both printed and electronic certificates with either use-by or travel-by dates. You really do need to read through the fine print carefully, because there can be significant other restrictions, such as booking class, non-transferrability, limitations to the continental US, etc.

If there is no travel-by date, then it's safe to assume the certificate can be used for any future bookable itinerary. There have been many discussions here on using that fact to extend the effective life of the certificate by booking a fully refundable ticket far in the future with the intent to make changes later when plans become more certain.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If it's a CO-style electronic travel certificate (i.e., 13TCVA or 12TCVA with a 7- or 10-character alpha-numeric PIN), then yes, the expiration date is a TICKET BY date, and you can TRAVEL BY as far out as you can book on that date.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP

I asked an agent about this and it is a ticket by date
Old May 28, 2013, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by jpezaris
If there is no travel-by date, then it's safe to assume the certificate can be used for any future bookable itinerary. There have been many discussions here on using that fact to extend the effective life of the certificate by booking a fully refundable ticket far in the future with the intent to make changes later when plans become more certain.
Yes, I saw those discussions, but I didn't see a conversation about this particular point. Seems worthwhile that we're creating a record of this here, as I'm sure someone else will have this question in the future.

Originally Posted by channa
If it's a CO-style electronic travel certificate (i.e., 13TCVA or 12TCVA with a 7- or 10-character alpha-numeric PIN), then yes, the expiration date is a TICKET BY date, and you can TRAVEL BY as far out as you can book on that date.
Thank you, Channa. Yes, the certificate does meet those parameters.

Originally Posted by dahaberm
I asked an agent about this and it is a ticket by date
Thanks! I emailed 1kvoice. If I hear back from them, and if they say something different, I'll post it here.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:38 am
Suspended

Question Regarding Using United Travel Vouchers

The lady and I each received a $600 Travel Voucher/Certificate a couple weeks ago and I have a quick Question.

The Voucher states an Expiration Date of May 18th, 2014 (which is one year from when they were issued). Now does that mean I need to complete my travel by May 18th of next year or that I need to book my travel by that date?

For example... Can I book a ticket on May 1st of 2014 for use in September 2014 (even though that's after the "expiration date")?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by cslovacek
The lady and I each received a $600 Travel Voucher/Certificate a couple weeks ago and I have a quick Question.

The Voucher states an Expiration Date of May 18th, 2014 (which is one year from when they were issued). Now does that mean I need to complete my travel by May 18th of next year or that I need to book my travel by that date?

For example... Can I book a ticket on May 1st of 2014 for use in September 2014 (even though that's after the "expiration date")?

Thanks for your help.
You just need to book by the expiration date..travel can be beyond the expiration date.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:57 am
Suspended

Well, that is definitely a relief. It will buy me a lot of time. I can now use it to fly until about April 2015.

Thanks for the answer.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, United Silver, Garuda Silver, Delta Silver
UA vouchers on THAI

I have $300 ecert (UA lost my bags for 5 days) and I want to book BKK-PVG. UA does not have anything at all showing for this route. However, THAI has a flight that works well for me. Is there anyway to use this ecert for the THAI flight?

Does UA really have no codeshares from BKK to PVG?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Flyer Sean
I have $300 ecert (UA lost my bags for 5 days) and I want to book BKK-PVG. UA does not have anything at all showing for this route. However, THAI has a flight that works well for me. Is there anyway to use this ecert for the THAI flight?

Does UA really have no codeshares from BKK to PVG?
Usually the vouchers are only good on UA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.