Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*NEW* Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Originally Posted by DELee
Link to Travel Credit Lookup by E-mail Page:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Note: page first shows FFCs; scroll down further for ETCs.

David
Update 30 Aug 2021
We’re extending electronic certificatesTo give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020. All electronic certificates due to expire prior to December 31, 2022, will be extended until December 31, 2022.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in COVID19 Schedule Change (6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA resisting refunds, DOT ruling

Checking the balance: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...s/default.aspx
Enter type (see below) and PIN as a single code without any spaces. Then the page will say it couldn't find anything and offer you a place to enter your last name. Note, will show remaining value but not expiration date,

What does "type" mean? Good question. See the following answer from post 670:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In most cases this will be 20TCVA or 19TCVA (from 2019)

On the ETC , this is labeled as Promotion Code

There are other types but rarer
​​​​​
Electronic Travel Certificates (ETCs) / vouchers can only be used for travel on an entirely UA/UX operated paid itinerary.
Late August 2021 Now useable on partner and codeshare itins!
ETCs can now be used to pay pre-paid baggage fees.
Not valid when there are partner flights or any segment that uses partner metal.
Cannot be used to pay award flight fees.
Cannot be used for E+ fees, WiFi fees, UA subscriptions (Wifi, E+ fees, UC membership, ...), upgrades fees (but OK for up-fares), change fees, ....
ETC can be used by anyone with the PIN and last name of the original person receiving the ETC.
If not fully used the residual can be used later with the same original expiration.
ETCs will be used for the total amount needed (no partial payments if the ETC has a greater value)

TVCA certs with PINs (by far the most common ecert most customers will receive -- such as goodwill compensation from Customer Care or refunds on flights) are considered a form of payment and don't reduce the PQDs PQP earnings.. So the full value of the ticket is earned, no reduction
Originally Posted by cfischer
Expiration -- ETCs generally have a 1 2-year life. The ETC should be used prior to expiration -- but the actual travel days can be after expiration. While not publically documented, it does appear ETCs have a 30 day (one month?) post-expiration grace period.

How do I use the ETC?
Online works fine or you can call and used an agent (a fee may apply)

Online, either select "all search" options and scroll to the bottom of the screen to enter
or
wait until you get to the Payment Options at the end of the purchasing steps and select "United payment types"
Enter pin code (7 or 10 digits) and Last Name on the ETC

Where online can I view my unused ETCs?
You cannot. No such listing is available. UA now displays some ETCs in Your Account (May 2020)
Reports suggest ETCs from flight credits seem to be displayed but customer service ETCs are not.
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
You can call and ask an agent to look these up for you. Note agents will not provide the ETC PIN on the phone.

Can an ETC be used for covering the costs of a post-purchase upfare?
Multiple reports of success but one mentioned it would need to be the sole method of payment.
Can only be done by an agent -- not online
Can not be an upgrade fee, must be an upfare.

Can an ETC be used to UC membership or E+ access fee or change fee or award fee or upgrade co-pay or baggage fee or ...
ETCs can only be used for airfare, not for any fee
August 2020 - ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Can I partially use an ETC and then pay the remainder with a credit card (to get the card's benefits)?
No, the ETC must be fully used (up to the needed amount). Only if the ETC is insufficient, can a credit card then be used.

If I make a booking with an ETC and then cancel -- what happens?
Normally it would just stay as flight credit. If refunded, it goes back to the original ETC (recent reports suggest a new ETC is now issued). If that has expired, it gets tricky, UA may create a new ETC -- this situation generally takes manual handling. It does not get converted to cash

How many ETCs can be used at one time?
There is a limit of one ETC per passenger. If you have multiple passengers on the PNR, you can apply 1 ETC each ( does not have to be the same value ETC nor does ETC to be applied to every passenger). (Recent reports suggest the use of multiple ETCs per passenger). If you have more ETCs than passengers, you can now combine ETCs. You can also use one-ways to double the number of opportunities to use ETCs vs roundtrips.
Combinability update July 2017 - ETCs can be combined (either a new ETC created with the expiration date of the earliest-expiring ETC or multiple ETCs used on a PNR). Appears will only combine ETC if you need to do this to book a flight. Initially, UA seemed to allow the combining for future use but most reports now suggest you need to also have a flight booking in mind using the new combined ETC.
Combinability update June 2020 - ETCs can be combined at the website payment screen without calling (see post 690)

Related threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one? {out-of-date -- see not above}

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Using ETCs in Canada (outside of US) on new United.com

Archive: UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)

Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by 1KChinito

Can you please clarify newest cert to mean latest expiring cert?
I combined a cert that expires in Oct 2018, and one that expires Aug 2019. My new cert for the combined value expires in Aug 2019.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I combined a cert that expires in Oct 2018, and one that expires Aug 2019. My new cert for the combined value expires in Aug 2019.
Thank you for your clarification. I have the same result. This actually is a good way to extend your ETC to a much later date. In your case, from Oct to Aug, a ten months extension.

Were both certs in your name?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
No, only one.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:15 pm
cwc

My husband has a $1000 ETC that expire May 2019. Trying to book 2adults & 1child (age 8) on line with the cert. I can only apply the funds to the two adult fare but not the child? The child ticket has no discount, price same as adult fare. I did a test of booking 3adults and the ETC was applied to all 3 ticket ok... Can I book my daughter as an adult? Or should I call United?

Last edited by cwc; Aug 8, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
No, only one.
We need to guard our ETCs as cash. If someone gets a hold of my ETC, s/he only needs my PIN code to combine with his/hers and my ETC is history.

Originally Posted by cwc
My husband has a $1000 ETC that expire May 2019. Trying to book 2adults & 1child (age 8) on line with the cert. I can only apply the funds to the two adult fare but not the child? The child ticket has no discount, price same as adult fare. I did a test of booking 3adults and the ETC was applied to all 3 ticket ok... Can I book my daughter as an adult? Or should I call United?
It is best for you to call UA.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cwc
,... Can I book my daughter as an adult? ....
Yes, generally makes no difference

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2018 at 12:36 pm Reason: no, not not
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:12 pm
cwc

Thanks all... If I call UA, will I be charge $50 booking fee? If I book my daughters as adult and she show up would she be allow to board (we will bring her passport)?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cwc
Thanks all... If I call UA, will I be charge $50 booking fee?
perhaps, you can request a waiver, it is up to the phone agent.

Originally Posted by cwc
If I book my daughters as adult and she show up would she be allow to board (we will bring her passport)?
The two are unrelated, child is just a way to access child fares (very rare today). Security, passport control are unaware of the ticket type. Many folks book childern as adults, it avioda number of issues with ticketing.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
I have almost 2k in Travel Certificates but can't use them since United does not fly to where I live... for me their UA-only policy sucks big time
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by schlang
I have almost 2k in Travel Certificates but can't use them since United does not fly to where I live... for me their UA-only policy sucks big time
well, then may I suggest reading further here and finding the ways around that just a suggestion.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by schlang
I have almost 2k in Travel Certificates but can't use them since United does not fly to where I live...
See the travel hack in the wiki of UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights -- takes a little effort but may solve your problem.
schlang likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Gold, Hertz President's Circle. Crappy Status on AA & Delta.
How to apply GPU after purchasing (using ETC)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yep you can not mixed the two -- long been an issue
Yep, find the flight with GPU search. Then go back without the GPU search, book the desired flight with the ETC and then once you get the ticket confirmation, apply the GPU.
In the very rare case that the R space disappears in the meantime, you are protect by the 24 hour cancel free rule.
Sorry to resurrect this piece of an older thread. And sorry for my ignorance -- but how do you apply the GPU after purchase (as noted above)? Can this be done online --- or do I need to call the 1k line and have an agent do it? Thanks for any help
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swco
Sorry to resurrect this piece of an older thread. And sorry for my ignorance -- but how do you apply the GPU after purchase (as noted above)? Can this be done online --- or do I need to call the 1k line and have an agent do it? Thanks for any help
Once a reservation is ticketed, you can apply a GPU from the "Manage Trip" screen. Click the "Upgrade Cabin" link near the top of the page, go to the "Redeem Awards to Upgrade" tab, and select the appropriate button.
swco likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
What are some reasons why the UA site might not allow use of ETCs? The only reasons I know of are for partner and award flights.
Earlier this year, I booked EWR-VCE,FCO-ORD-EWR and it gave me the message that I can't use ETCs where I would normally enter it. I emailed customer service and they applied the ETC for me after the fact.
I just booked EWR-NRT-SFO-EWR and got the same message. Now when I email customer service they say they cannot apply after purchase. I referred them to last time and they say "I am sorry, we are unable to make an exception for reservations being booked that the option to use a travel certificate is not opening. This indicates that something is not being booked according to the terms and conditions of the usage of the certificates. The certificates are valid for the purchase of a ticket. After the ticket is issued then you can select seats, insurance, priority boarding, etc. Although the options are offered, if you select one of them during the booking process, it changes the terms and conditions of the use of the certificate, and the offer will not open."

I asked them to specifically tell me what the cause is for my particular case, still waiting to hear back. In the past, I might just PM ua insider
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by eng3
What are some reasons why the UA site might not allow use of ETCs? The only reasons I know of are for partner and award flights.
Earlier this year, I booked EWR-VCE,FCO-ORD-EWR and it gave me the message that I can't use ETCs where I would normally enter it. I emailed customer service and they applied the ETC for me after the fact.
I just booked EWR-NRT-SFO-EWR and got the same message. Now when I email customer service they say they cannot apply after purchase. I referred them to last time and they say "I am sorry, we are unable to make an exception for reservations being booked that the option to use a travel certificate is not opening. This indicates that something is not being booked according to the terms and conditions of the usage of the certificates. The certificates are valid for the purchase of a ticket. After the ticket is issued then you can select seats, insurance, priority boarding, etc. Although the options are offered, if you select one of them during the booking process, it changes the terms and conditions of the use of the certificate, and the offer will not open."

I asked them to specifically tell me what the cause is for my particular case, still waiting to hear back. In the past, I might just PM ua insider
Any of your segment, EWR-NRT-SFO-EWR, is a code share not operated by UA? If negative, there is no reason why you cannot use your ETC.

If you ticketed within last 24 hours, cancel and rebook online. If you still cannot use your ETC, call UA CSR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.