15 Year Old Flying by Himself

Old Jul 23, 12, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Often1:18983184

Wrong. And, bad advice. Not only doesn't UA generally provide any form of acommodations in IRROPS other than for MX, but it cannot provide a hotel to a person under 21 who is not a UM (in which case a UA employee stays w. the UM).
Are you sure 21 is the limit? When I got stuck in IAD in June there was an 18 year old who just got given a hotel voucher and sent on her way like everyone else...
Old Jul 23, 12, 2:48 am

Reminds me of the time I flew alone at age 15 from LAX. Major IRROPS - I showed up at the airport expecting to fly Korean Air to Mumbai, ended up flying Delta to Paris. During an Air France strike. Then somehow ended up in Madras. Or Chennai. Whatever it's called. That was an interesting night. My folks had no clue until I told them a day later. High school, ya know

Get him a cell phone, an authorized user credit card (that earns miles ), and track his flights from home. He should be alright.
Old Jul 23, 12, 6:14 am

No. Everything will be done in the usual way.
One of my friend sent his son to a school in the US while he was working in China two years ago. His son was 15 at that time, and he just flew back home alone during the holiday( with interline connection and international). Everything was fine.
So I assume there will be no problem with your son.
Old Jul 23, 12, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by thesmiler View Post
Are you sure 21 is the limit? When I got stuck in IAD in June there was an 18 year old who just got given a hotel voucher and sent on her way like everyone else...
I stayed in hotels solo when I was 18. Not sure what about UA would prevent them from giving a hotel voucher to an 18 y/o.
Old Jul 23, 12, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks guys
Old Jul 23, 12, 10:42 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I was 14 and on my way to Laurel, MS. Flew TATL on my own to MSY where family friends were to pick me up and take me on the next day. They didn't show and it was already 8 or 9pm. Nobody answered any of the 3 numbers I had (work, home or cell).

I found a hotel on the board for a reasonable price and it was across the road from the Greyhound station. Caught a cab, checked in and pre-paid cash for the room (I had $300 on me). In the morning, crossed the street, bought my bus ticket and off I went. Nobody said a word, though I am sure that being 6'2" and 160lbs helped give the impression I was older

On the return TATL out of JFK, they were looking for volunteers, but I had been gone 6 weeks and just wanted to go home. My parents were ok with this, but they put a family rule in place after that, ALWAYS take the TATL bump.
Old Jul 23, 12, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting story. My son is tall as well . Thanks for the story, it helps.
Old Jul 23, 12, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sfogate View Post
If we know that this traveler is under the age of 18 and is forced into an overnight stay, the child will be watched,at SFO ,it is done by our wheelchair vendors inside their office.
Yikes. Is there at least a cot in the AirServ office? Or would he be forced to sit in that fluorescent-lit room all night?
Old Jul 23, 12, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
Did my first flight alone at 14, no cell phone no CC. IRROPS at DTW. AA put me up for the night. Builds character. Intrepid traveler ever since. Worried more as a parent when my kids started flying international alone at 14. Get your son a CC and a phone. It will soothe your nerves.
Old Jul 23, 12, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Personally, when I was 15, I thought I knew a lot
Some things never change.
Old Jul 23, 12, 1:05 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I think this is a UMMV issue. My daughter who is 15 has been traveling by herself for at least 5 years. She was traveling with her grandparents on Friday from CDG to ORD and the flight was cancelled. UA refused to put her on a non-stop CDG-IAD (we live in DC) and when my dad asked for the supervisor he was told "what would happen during IRROPS?" She was traveling on her own ticket so that question would have been appropriate for anyone. In any case, I think during IRROPS, as usual with UA, all bets are off the table.
Old Jul 23, 12, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Some things never change.
Not sure if this is meant to be a dig at me, or to today's '15-year olds'.
Old Jul 23, 12, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Not sure if this is meant to be a dig at me, or to today's '15-year olds'.
FWIW - I read this as a good-natured dig at all teenagers from all eras.

However, I will go so far to say as I thought I knew it all at 15....and 25, 35, and 45. I'm about to hit the half-century mark and have just figured out that I might not know it all even when I hit the end of the road.
Old Jul 23, 12, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak View Post
Yikes. Is there at least a cot in the AirServ office? Or would he be forced to sit in that fluorescent-lit room all night?
Good question as I have never been inside the office to see if there are cots or couchs in the back room.
Old Jul 23, 12, 2:40 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM, 1K; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I may not of thought this out; however, I would be tempted to tell a 14-15 year old that - if they are stuck for the night - to stay inside security. Find a spot on the floor somewhere to nap, holding on to any carry-on. Of course take sfogate's suggestion first, and see if they can get any help that way. But do stay airside.

I'd be worried about a young teen exiting, and trying to find a room on their own.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: