15 Year Old Flying by Himself

Old Jul 22, 12, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC 100k
Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
He's scheduled to arrive at 2pm so no worries about staying overnight. I agree with you about other issues.
During an IRROP the airline would be obliged to provide accommodation (irregardless of credit card/age). And even if not, there's nothing wrong with spending a night in the airport.
Old Jul 22, 12, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IRROPS at SFO is the only issue. CC or not, none of the chains rent to under 21's. In the extremely unlikely event that he really is stuck, that's when he plays the "kid card" to UA. "I'm only 15 and I don't have a CC. What do I do?" If there's only one seat left on a later flight, he'll be in it.
Old Jul 22, 12, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
LOL. I'll make sure he does that if he has to
Old Jul 22, 12, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by timj010 View Post
During an IRROP the airline would be obliged to provide accommodation (irregardless of credit card/age). And even if not, there's nothing wrong with spending a night in the airport.
Hotel accomodations can not be provided to any traveler under the age of 18. If this traveler was under the UNMR (paid the fee) then the airline would assign someone to stay with him/her at the hotel.

If we know that this traveler is under the age of 18 and is forced into an overnight stay, the child will be watched,at SFO ,it is done by our wheelchair vendors inside their office.
Old Jul 22, 12, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
IRROPS at SFO is the only issue. CC or not, none of the chains rent to under 21's. In the extremely unlikely event that he really is stuck, that's when he plays the "kid card" to UA. "I'm only 15 and I don't have a CC. What do I do?" If there's only one seat left on a later flight, he'll be in it.
I had a terrible IRROPS (connecting at DCA) once when I was 16 and ended up sleeping at DCA because the connecting flight turned into a 12 hour delay and then turned into a cancellation. I didn't fly much beforehand (like twice) and this was my first time flying alone. I was kinda scared out of my wits cause it was my first time sleeping at an airport -- was so paranoid that someone would take my luggage too so I couldn't sleep. LOL.

Oh how I do not miss those days...
Old Jul 22, 12, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Do you have someone in San Francisco that could be on stand-by in the event of IRROPS? I live close to EWR and have been asked several times by friends/relatives with a teen connecting through EWR to take care of him/her in the event of an IRROPS overnight stay.

You and your wife can request gate passes if you want to accompany him to / pick him up at the gate. They may not give them to you, but if you have a UC membership, you can invoke GG Checkpoint Line 53 to get a gate pass.

Agree with the others that some form of ID is a good idea, as is his quietly telling the gate agent that he's 15 years old traveling alone. That way, if the agent learns of an IRROPS, he/she would almost certainly take care of your son first.
Old Jul 22, 12, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
Thanks guys for all the tips and help. He will have money but no card so he'll have to get food airside. Thanks again
You could consider getting him a rechargeable Visa at CVS or somewhere. That way he could buy on-board if he wants. And he would have it in case of needing a CC (e.g., hotel) and you could quickly add to it over the phone/internet.
Old Jul 22, 12, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tarheelnj View Post
Do you have someone in San Francisco that could be on stand-by in the event of IRROPS? I live close to EWR and have been asked several times by friends/relatives with a teen connecting through EWR to take care of him/her in the event of an IRROPS overnight stay.

You and your wife can request gate passes if you want to accompany him to / pick him up at the gate. They may not give them to you, but if you have a UC membership, you can invoke GG Checkpoint Line 53 to get a gate pass.

Agree with the others that some form of ID is a good idea, as is his quietly telling the gate agent that he's 15 years old traveling alone. That way, if the agent learns of an IRROPS, he/she would almost certainly take care of your son first.
I have a friend near SFO. Thanks for that helpful tip. I'll ask him now. That takes care of any IRROPS issues.

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife View Post
You could consider getting him a rechargeable Visa at CVS or somewhere. That way he could buy on-board if he wants. And he would have it in case of needing a CC (e.g., hotel) and you could quickly add to it over the phone/internet.
I'll consider that. Thanks for the input.
Old Jul 22, 12, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I recently flew MSP-SFO with a solo 13 yo boy as a seatmate in F. His father is a GS and he was visiting grandparents on an award ticket. From talking with him, his experience was no different than my own, regarding the flight process. IIRC, like myself, he used a passport for ID. He had an iPad for entertainment, a iPhone, a credit card (he actually declined the F meal and bought a snack box from Y), and acted in a manner far beyond his years. My assumption was that he was an experienced flier but could have been wrong. We chatted about Channel 9 and he knew about FT but wasn't sure if his dad posted here or not. No issues. I could have flown to the moon with a planeload like him

The transfer to PDX will likely be the sticky wicket, depending on how things go at SFO with weather/ATC. Good advice on the irrops backup. SFO can be 'variable' regarding 'help' in such cases. Also, if 'next week' is still in July, then it'll be end of month and more potential for staffing issues and irrops from that.
Old Jul 22, 12, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the story. My son is pretty mature but I'm trying to get all set for any irrops issues in sfo
Old Jul 22, 12, 9:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be sure to get him a prepaid credit card, with enough money on it to cover a hotel room and meals in an emergency, for him to be able to buy on board meals and snacks. While a nearby passenger can use their credit card and have him pay them the cash, you don't want to put him into the position of asking a stranger for help and then being indebted--even in a small way--to that stranger.
Old Jul 22, 12, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

15 Year Old Flying by Himself

I agree with you. He's in first now thanks to miles but Im getting him a card for reasons like you said. Thx for the input
Old Jul 23, 12, 12:16 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by timj010 View Post
Wrong. And, bad advice. Not only doesn't UA generally provide any form of acommodations in IRROPS other than for MX, but it cannot provide a hotel to a person under 21 who is not a UM (in which case a UA employee stays w. the UM).
Old Jul 23, 12, 1:30 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by joedish View Post
Not worth it. Pack him a sandwich and a bag of chips. Should be sufficient to get him through that short of a flight.
+1 big time. I would give him $30 just in case but he can buy food before the flight or just bring it from home.
Old Jul 23, 12, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
No credit card and a connection. Bad idea.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: